Vegetable fried rice to me is one of the best choices of Chinese dishes at home. It is one that I make atleast once in ten days as it is a wonderful combination of carbohydrates and vitamins. The dish is special because it is a fuss-free happy way to get my daughter to eat veggies. I am sure there are many other mothers who agree with me on that completely.
- Basmati rice – 1 cup (use rice cooked the previous day and refrigerated)
- Spring onions – I bunch (finely chopped)
- Carrot – 1 big (finely chopped)
- Celery – 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Onion – 1 small (finely chopped)
- Beans – half cup (finely chopped)
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Pepper powder – ½ tsp
- You may add finely chopped capsicum and even boiled green peas if you wish to.
- Cook one cup rice the previous day and refrigerate. A day old rice works best for fried rice. However, if you wish to make fresh rice. Cook 1 cup rice in the microwave with 2 cups of water for 15 minutes adding a few drops of oil and salt to taste. Take out and fluff with a fork and keep aside.
- Take a flat bottomed non-stick pan (you can use any other pan as per your convenience) and add 2 tbsp of oil. Add the finely chopped onions, carrot, beans and spring onions. Add salt and sauté. Make sure the veggies are cooked however, still retain the crunch. Add in the celery and sauté for a minute. Add the rice and mix well. Add pepper powder (you may use white pepper if you wish to) and mix. Adjust salt and mix well. Serve hot with a gravy of your choice. I served it with a quick and easy soya chicken.
NOTES AND TIPS:
- Goes well with Chicken/Veg Manchurian, sweet and sour, garlic/ginger chicken
- For those who wish to add an Indian touch to it, serve with a raita and butter chicken/paneer butter masala.