Date and Honey Pongal is a delicious twist to the traditional sweet pongal recipe.
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Moong dhal – ½ cup
- Milk + water – 2+4 cups
- Jaggery – 1 ½ cups (boil with ½ cup water to dissolve & strain)
- Dates – 8-10, chopped (adjust according to your taste)
- Honey – 2-4 tablespoon (adjust according to your taste)
- Ghee – 2 tablespoon
- Dry ginger powder – 1 teaspoon
- Cardamom powder – 1 teaspoon
- To garnish – roast the cashews in ghee and keep aside.
- Wash and soak the rice along with dhal for 30 minutes.
- Drain and add it to boilng milk along with water and 1 tablespoon ghee in a pressure pan.
- When the mixture starts boiling vigorously, close the cooker, keep the weight and simmer.
- Cook for 10 minutes, do not wait for whistle.
- Once the pressure is gone, open the cooker and add the jaggery water.
- When well blended add dates and honey.
- Blend and simmer.
- Add spice powders and remove. Decorate with roasted cashews.