This is an easy to make lunch box recipe, one of the specialty of South Indian kitchen.
- Thin variety of rice – 1 cup
- Freshly grated coconut – 1 cup (grate only the white portion)
- Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Urad dhal – 2 tablespoon
- Red chillies – 2
- Green chillies – 2 (slit vertically)
- Curry leaves – few
- Hing – ½ teaspoon
- Oil – 2 tablespoon
- Salt to taste
- Sugar – 1/4 teaspoon
- Soak urad dhal for one hour, drain and dry it in a cloth.
- Cook rice so that the grains are separate and allow it to attain room temperature.
- Heat oil in a kadai, temper mustard seeds, red chillies and add urad dhal.
- Fry till light brown, add green chillies, hing, coconut and curry leaves.
- Fry uniformly till coconut colour changes to light golden colour.
- Remove, add rice and salt.
- Mix well, adding little sugar makes it very tasty, but this is one’s choice.
- Just before serving add 1 tablespoon fresh raw grated coconut and a teaspoon raw coconut oil for a very good flavour.