Caramel Payasam is a delicious Indian dessert, which is easy to make for any occasion.
- Milk – 1 litre ( preferably full fat )
- Thin variety of rice(basmati or jeeraga samba) – ¼ cup heaped
- Sugar – I cup
- It is preferable to do this in a pressure cooker or a big pressure pan to prevent
- overflowing of milk.
- Heat the cooker very well on a high flame till it gets really hot.
- Add 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Do not stir.
- It will start caramelizing.
- When it becomes dark brown add ½ cup of hot water (beware, it will splash!) .
- Then add the milk, and washed strained rice then mix well.
- When the milk starts boiling well close the cooker and put the weight.
- At once , put the flame on sim and pressure for 25 minutes.
- Do not wait for a whistle – the milk is likely to overflow.
- Allow the pressure to drop.Open and add the sugar and mix well.
- Close again and put the weight.
- Do not put on the flame again.
- Open after atleast 15 minutes. Serve warm.
- The payasam will be pale pink in colour with a very nice aroma.