1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Horse And The Stag Story

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, May 29, 2019.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Dear Friends,
    Namaskaram.

The Horse and the Stag Story.
    I have just returned from four months stay in India. Partly for reason of busy travel schedule and partly for laziness could not log in for long into IL. I am sure I have a lot to catch up.

Meantime, though I have had the opportunity of closely watching the elections in the country for a good number of years in the past but the recently concluded election was different in many ways. I can say that it was the most fiercely fought election with no hold bars. It was also most brazenly personal.
    I am reminded of a fable which goes as under:

"A quarrel had arisen between the Horse and the Stag, so the Horse came to a Hunter to ask his help to take revenge on the stag. The hunter agreed but said "If you desire to conquer the stag, you must permit me to place this piece of iron between your jaws, so that I may guide you with these reins, and allow this saddle to be placed upon your back so that I may keep steady upon you as we follow the enemy". The horse agreed to the conditions, and the hunter soon saddled and bridled him. Then, with the aid of the hunter, the horse soon overcame the stag and said to the hunter : "Now get off, and remove those things from my mouth and back." "Not so fast, friend, " said the hunter. "I have now got you under bit and spur and prefer to keep you as you are as present". "

I guess the Electorate is the Horse, the maligned Opponent, which they do not want to come in power, is the Stag and the one promising the utopia is the Hunter. The Electorate, the Horse, tired of the tested Opponent, the Stag, wants to get rid of it and seeks help from the Hunter who uses the utopian promises to saddle and bridle the Horse. The Horse agrees but remains saddled and bridled even after the Hunter helps him overcome the Stag for years to come but those promises are never fulfilled. This keeps on happening every five or ten years. The Stag and the Hunter keep on replacing each other like in a game of musical chairs. The Horse remains saddled and bridled and finally gets used to it for life.

First it was 'Gareebi Hatao' (Eradicate poverty) but poor became poorer. Then came 'Shining India' but the shine was seen on the rich only. Then came 'Achche Din' (Better days) but no sign of that too. Now it is 'Sabka Viswas' (Trust of all) but it too seems to be starting with renaming Khan Market in Delhi, Ahmedabad in Gujarat and Taj Mahal in Agra and many more. How erasing history will bring in trust of all is any body's guess.

I am hopeful and positive because people in general are democrats and do all to preserve it and thus the country.

Thyagarajan and shyamala1234 like this.

2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Hariji,
    So you were busy with elections and analysing them.
    Is this all democracy?
    Syamala

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Hari Sir,

Welcome back! So, you had an entertaining visit to India to watch the election campaigns and how people react to those election promises! What a story to tell as what happened in the process! Freedom is swinging the stick as much as we want unless it touches the nose of our neighbor. I feel "Sabka Viswas" is preparation of the people for the election 5 years from now. I am disappointed my name is involved in it.

What happened to the land of spiritualism, mutual love, values and principles, mutual respect for all religions, hospitality, serving attitude, right living, etc.? If everyone is saddled by the words of the politicians, where is the discrimination of the people to understand the scheme of the politicians? Power and Praise can make a person greedy forever but eventually Karma will bring them back to the ground, hopefully.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. HariLakhera

TH
    Thank you Syamala ji for being the first and only so far to give your feedback. Yes, you are right like every concerned citizen I am a keen observer of political happenings because that affects our life.
    This time I could not cast my vote in Delhi.

5. HariLakhera

Dear Shri Viswa,
    I think politicians want to win elections by hook or crook. Means do not justify the ends anymore. Good oratory and huge funds at command can tilt the balance. On top of the polarization on communal likes is playing the devil's game. No one bothers about those sublime elements of humanity you mentioned.
    I guess this is a trend world over and democracies are inching towards autocracies.

6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

@HariLakhera
    In a nutshell, in politics in all nations the dictum " enemy's enemy is our friend" & " today's enemy is tomorrow's friend".
    In a world of coilation politics turned gamblers' gamble.
    Thanks and regards.
    God's devotees too indulge in politicking.

HariLakhera likes this.