1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

' Spanner In The Works'

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by LakshmiKMBhat, May 4, 2016.

1. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

I just came across this phrase in a book by Essie Summers. She is one of my favourite authors, I love to re-read her books and over the years I really do not know how many times I have read her books. I first came across them while in college in Mumbai. Those were the days of Circulating libraries. They were everywhere and we could keep the books for a fixed period and read at minimal charges. I had to travel by local train to college and must have read countless books in three years. I never thought I would be able to get any of the Essie Summers after leaving college. But thanks to the internet, I have been able to download many of her books but not all.

‘Spanner in the works’ is such an expressive phrase. Misunderstandings caused deliberately which leave their mark on all the people concerned. It is fine in books which have a happy ending. ‘Spanner in the works’ adds spice to the story line. But in real life there are tragic consequences. We call people who enjoy creating misunderstandings as Shakuni. Shakuni is a very important character in our Mahabharata. His cleverly worded remarks create turmoil and ultimately lead to the Mahabharata war. Very few really sit and talk about misunderstandings. So they are not solved and there is no understanding. I always feel riots and mob mentality is the work of Shakunis of the world. They just light the spark and mob mentality turns it into a tragic fire.

That single phrase in the book brought to mind all these thoughts and also the actions of a Shakuni in our midst who tried to spoil relationships among relatives. Fortunately his plans did not work because the concerned people had already talked to each other and had come to an understanding. His ‘spanner in the works’ failed and it earned him the title of Shakuni. Such people are pathetic and dangerous too. If allowed they can change the lives of people, for the worse. Unfortunately, many a time they are people who are supposed to be close relatives or friends.

‘There's one sad truth in life I've found
    While journeying east and west -
    The only folks we really wound
    Are those we love the best.
    We flatter those we scarcely know,
    We please the fleeting guest,
    And deal full many a thoughtless blow
    To those who love us best.’
    ~Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Similar Threads
    1. cathzeta
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Very interesting, Lakshmi. I must lay my hands on this author. Have not read her so far. Talking of expressive phrases, 'raining on someone's parade' is another one I love. :) It is so descriptive and one can almost imagine the scene.

Talk of the Sakuni's of the world, certain other theories I have been hearing about sound a lot worse, such as countries or individuals in high places causing trouble (read wars), provoking attacks and then trying to present the world with a solution to those problems by attacking those places as a reaction i.e. basically creating grounds for attacking other countries. At least with Sakuni, one knew which side he was on (of course always with a very personal agenda) while people of the latter category hurt everyone else (not just one side) with ONLY the personal agenda in sight.

Loved the verse at the end. It is so perfectly true. We fight with our own families, but take **** from ILs. We don't help around as much as we should at home, but slave in someone else's house. We fight with our siblings but try to fit in as well as we can with peers outside.....strange are our ways indeed. Probably it is because we know that we would be forgiven and taken back into the fold when it comes to family, while with outsiders we better behave. The world outside is after all very unforgiving.

vaidehi71 and kaniths like this.
  3. shobhamma

shobhamma Gold IL'ite

Dear Lakshami
    Haven't read Essie Summers, indeed never heard of her too. But will surely like to read . very pertinent poem at the end.
    Today misunderstanding is the norm of the news , be it political, social or Bollywood. First giving a statement and then denying, clarifying, claiming misquote is one way of staying in the news !

4. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

The advancement in electronic media has connected the unknown.We have become so fond of'likes' given by unknown faces without even trying to understand that 'like' is mostly a formality and 'press' of a button.We are not in the yuga of "Ram- Bharath; but constantly aware of Mukesh-Anil Relationship alone.
    One of the pancha bhoothas is SPACE -which is eternal. Today whether people know nothing about that SPACE but are surely aware of the'space' around themselves without any commitment.They talk of intimate space, personal space, social space and public space.
    Many times people don't bother about what is happening in the surroundings because on many occasions the helper is questioned and drawn to court.Very recently laws have been passed that helpers to accident victims should not be harassed.In a city like Madras, cheating and diverting are so common and many children with helping attitude are harassed and even murdered.
    My friend lost her 19 year old Only( son)as he tried to help a lady.There are many many instances to cite.Parents are forced to advise their children ( may be in the selfish interest) to keep away from problems.

As long as our helping attitude does end in saving a person, there is no problem.We can feel highly satisfied for being human.
    If any untoward incident happens in the process of helping,no one will come to the rescue.The same set of people who talk so much proud of you, may turn the tables against you.
    It is not enough if you are sympathetic and helpful, but you should be wise enough how to go about it.
    I have burnt my fingers on many occasions and this is the lesson born out of experience.

Jayasala 42

Lathasv likes this.
  5. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Madam Lakshmi, Only the first para of my response relates to your snippet.Pl ignore the rest. Sorry I have included my response to some other author along with yours.
    Inconvenience regretted.

Jayasala 42

6. LakshmiKMBhat

Thank you Satchitananda :) What you have said is true, an unfortunate truth all over the world. Regards, Lakshmi

7. LakshmiKMBhat

That is ok, Jayasala. Thank you. Regards.

8. LakshmiKMBhat

Essie Summers was a Mills and Boons writer :) Some of her books are available free online. She wrote about New Zealand and her stories are very nice, all about family and relationships. Thanks:) Lakshmi

shobhamma likes this.
  9. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

I had not even known about the author you had mentioned.

But I liked your snippet. We have so many around us who are similar to Sakunis and the problem is, there is always someone who would support such Sakunis. The result is hardships for the others. It would be very hard to live without seeing such people in our lives. Lots of relationships are destroyed or have trouble because of such personalities. Hard to ignore them or even avoid them because of their familial relationships to our lives.The phrase 'Spanner in the works' is indeed a very powerful one..

Thanks for the write up.
    Vaidehi

kaniths likes this.
  10. meril

meril Gold IL'ite

The love for reading is evident through your snippet. Your post made me like getting the author's books for myself. Will surely try reading one.

I completely agree with the truth you have found. It's sad but true that we take our loved ones for granted while guests are given royal treatment.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :blush: