Skincare and Haircare in Delhi winters

Discussion in 'Delhi' started by amritasharma, Dec 31, 2009.

1. JayaRawat

JayaRawat Senior IL'ite

You are right. Cetyl alcohol is a great moisturizing agent. It is derived from coconut.
    The molecular structure of coconut is too big to penetrate the hair cuticles. By extracting the molecule and altering its size, cetyl alcohol is obtained. Another moisturizing ingredient is cetearyl alcohol. It is a good moisturizing agent used in shampoos and conditioners.
    However poor and ill-nourished may your hair look, you can always get away with a good moisturizing conditioner. Severely damaged and dry hair also needs moisturizing shampoo.
    Hair has a greater density than skin. Hence the layers of the cuticle are quite difficult to penetrate. One you use a good product that penetrates and moisturizes your hair, make sure that you lock the moisture in.

2. anandisingh

anandisingh Senior IL'ite

The stylist, in the salon that I visit, also told me the same thing. She told we need to close the cuticle . Otherwise the moisture would not do us much good. A cold rinse is believed to help close the cuticle down and seal the moisture in.

She has given me some tips to lock the moisture in. If we rinse our hair with apple cider vinegar, the cuticle will lie down and lay flat. This vinegar is very acidic and leaves the hair with a fresh, clean smell. We need to let the vinegar sit on the hair for a few minutes. We can then rinse the hair with cold water.

3. JayaRawat

JayaRawat Senior IL'ite

Hair should be conditioned regularly during winters. It helps us in preventing dryness of hair. It is also beneficial to condition hair with natural oils. This stops hair from getting frizzy and dry during winters. Hair can be conditioned with coconut oil, almond oil or even mustard oil. Frequent oiling of hair helps us in taking proper care of hair during winter. Oiling also makes hair strong and shining.

Malai (milk cream) or curd can be used for massaging skin during winters. These act as natural moisturizers. If you are trying to get rid of the harmful effects of bleaching, malai or curd acts as a natural remedy.

4. anandisingh

anandisingh Senior IL'ite

You are right! Milk Cream and Curd helps us in getting rid of dry and scaly skin. They also make our skin soft and glowing.

We should apply body lotions and moisturizers immediately after taking our bath. During chilling cold winters of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Delhi</st1:place></st1:City>, these should be applied at least thrice a day. We should also apply moisturizers and skin care lotions before going to bed. You can also add few drops of coconut oil, almond oil or mustard oil to the water with which you take your bath.

We should always carry a lip balm with us, during winters. Lip balm keeps our lips moisturized and glossy.

5. amritasharma

amritasharma Senior IL'ite

I like using the flavoured lip balms instead of the normal ones. Nowadays, lip balms are available in a number of flavours. I love the vanilla, strawberry and papaya lip balm flavours. My beauty salon told me that it was always better to use lip balm on your lips than using creams and petroleum jellies which should not be allowed to enter our mouths. Lately, I have also been using “malai” or milk cream as a natural remedy for my chapped lips.

I have also learned from my experiences this winter that natural remedies should be used as much as possible. Natural remedies give best results while taking care of our skin in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Delhi</st1:place></st1:City> winters.