1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Pcos Hostel food

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Sakura, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

adding exercise and keeping that stress (so common in these kids) a little away helps too..

exercise is a sure magic pill who else then me to vouch for that..

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

I am tagging @SGA @revathysiva and

@gauri03 do share anything more that you think would really help in the indian perspective. (@Sakura i hope you don't mind me asking more questions that may or may not help you being in hostel, but would benefit many)

you know about the adulteration in our food. especially dairy. so is restriction in dairy essential.

3. Sakura

Sakura New IL'ite

@shanvy Unfortunately, I'm a Pcos patient. A registered gynaecologist diagnosed me and the Usg did show polycystic ovaries. I will be more than happy to answer any questions you have. I m aware there isn't enough research done in this subject and it's a cause of major concern and a little depressing too. On topic, i can have 2 rotis without any worries? Im not a junk eater anyways as i had been trying to lose more weight since the last few years. I have started skipping for 15 mins daily now.. Being in a hostel i don't have many options when it comes to vegetables as they frequently use potatoes and I m a bit worried about the oil tooIs there any simple dish i can make in my room? is saffola oats classic alright? I've questions regarding dairy as well.. Since they contain IGF I've read i should avoid them as well? but what about B12 for a vegetarian?And are diet khakras ok for cravings?

1 person likes this.
  4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dairy is a contentious subject. I have yet to find convincing evidence to sway me to any one side of the argument. But there is no doubt that industrialized dairy farming is doing tremendous damage to the environment and to the quality of milk products.

Being a pukka Northie, I consume dairy pretty heavily so take my advice with a pinch of salt. :) It is a life long habit that is difficult to alter. But I do have a few rules of thumb regarding dairy intake.

1. I buy non-homogenized, organic milk obtained from pasture-raised, antibiotic-free, and hormone-free dairy operations. It is twice as expensive and a pain to find, but cheaper milk is simply not worth the risk. I buy straight from small-scale farmers and never buy grocery-store milk. Girls in the US are hitting menarche at 8 and 9 because of the antibiotics and hormones in regular milk.

2. I generally don't consume milk by itself. It is a sugar after-all and spikes blood glucose like any other carbohydrate.

3. I eat a fair amount of yogurt, paneer and ghee which I make at home as far as possible.

4. I do eat quite a variety of cheeses because, one, they are a convenient snack, and two, they have a high protein content without any carbs. I feel the trade-off is worth it.

I don't think I can eliminate dairy from my diet, but for those that can avoid it or reduce it to a very low amount, they should definitely try it. Consuming dairy simply for the calcium is not necessary at all. Green leafy vegetables are a far better substitute for that.

2 people like this.
  5. SGA

SGA IL Hall of Fame

So we are talking about PCos ( I have it , now i even forgot from when )

1) First of all stop worrying about having Pcos ..Why ... it leads to stress , STRESS IS ENEMY of pcos

2) You cant choose what u eat as you stay in hostel but u can add some home remedies That may help ... Nature has given us so many plants that may help us with PCOS say tulsi plant or karella or turmeric ( PS: use home remedies at your own risk or consult doctor if u taking any medicines ) ..... here is the list of things that are good for pcos

(http://www.indusladies.com/forums/k.../177928-benefit-various-item-weight-loss.html)

3) Try to add omega 3 rich food in your diet , its good for pcos

First google what are the symptoms related to pcos ( google) ..... Then try and find out which u have ... like some have facial growth , some irregular periods etc etc and then concentrate on that part

2 people like this.
  6. Sakura

Sakura New IL'ite

Thank you, I'll try my best. Regarding oats, can anyone pls tell me if saffola classic oats will worsen the condition or not? even though it's rich in dietry fibres, it is carbohydrates afterall.... and should i avoid fresh figs or not? There are many contra dictory statements regarding the same how often can i take diary? it's not possible to get pure organic milk where i am. can anyone also tell me what is the cause of pcos? medical books said the cause is uncertain and i'm not a junk eater anyways. Family history is clear. what can trigger the mutation? if there is some link i can refer, I'll be grateful.

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@sakura i still would like to say pcos is a condition. please take some time and browse through the sub forum Gynaecology- IndusLadies.. you will be surprised at the numbers of people who have pcos. it is almost like 1 in 10 these days. you should be happy, you could find it earlier rather than later. sometimes the reasons are just our regular food, heriditary, thyroid, hormonal imbalance...

My dd has it from the time she started menarche, and i got it ruled out because i knew what to look for. in her case there is history on both sides.

So, relax and work towards reducing the symptoms and the severity of the condition.

Regarding dairy, you cannot do anything so try using buttermilk and panneer and less of milk as gauri points.

Oats that we get in india is not the steel cut oats that is recommended, it is oatmeal, but yes you can have oats. you can have it. i would not try the masala oats out of packs as they have preservatives and additives. you can make a porridge of it., have it with fruits. there are loads of recipes that you can do with oatmeal. i just keep toasted oatmeal. run it along with pieces of papaya, melon and banana and make a smoothie for us. sometimes i cook it in soup and have it as a soupy oats.but being in hostel i am not sure what you can actually do.

switch over to sipping green tea instead of the loaded cold coffee. if you don' like green tea then just sip hot water to which you can add a few springs of mint or lemon to add that extra flavor.

Have more cucumbers, lettuce, cabbage, add carrots, beets and vegges you can eat raw. add some peanuts to add crunch. same way eat papaya, and other seasonal fruits. papaya, guava (both help in maintaining the insulin), moderate banana. just look into the food chart that is given in the pdf. and list out what are the possible things you can have. and then make a chart for yourself. you get a app and also the regular page from myfitness pal where you can keep track of your dairy approximately. a rough number is good.

since right now you don't have any weight issues just keep your weight right, exercise well. take some time out to stay calm in the morning or night. relax. don't stress. stress does not help pcos.

8. reh

reh Platinum IL'ite

I am interested to know more about carrot, beetroot relation with pcos. I have carrot almost every day .

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

i can't find that article that was posted in a tamil blog that had a research articles by some students. if i can dig it up i will definitely post that one. but i am sure there is major adulteration. check this one here..i wish they had pan india based research.
    Milk Truths
    i wish we do get that, i would not mind buying that. dd loves milk.and i feel bad for cutting of her morning cuppa to half and the evening one to half.and allowed more buttermilk.

i know.

ditto to the yoghurt and paneer. butter i get from the same milk source and make ghee. but now, we are a very rationed ghee eaters instead substitute it with gingelly oil for most food,
    no.we dpn't indulge in these as they are not available readily.

absolutely true. but for a coffee loving family it is so difficult @gauri03, i know the caffeine boost is harmful..some habits die hard..

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame