1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Inebriation

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

If you had driven under the influence of alcohol and got a DUI ticket and suspension of your driver’s license, don’t feel you are alone. A few years back a woman driver was stopped in traffic by a policeman as she was veering the vehicle from one lane to another without any control over the steering wheel. As a routine, the police officer asked the driver to walk on a straight line and asked her to blow into a breathalyzer. As expected, her blood alcohol level exceeded the limit and was immediately arrested. In the heated exchange of resisting arrest, the policeman found out that the driver was a sitting judge.

As we all know, the pilots who assume duty before taking off in any airport will have to go through a test to see whether he or she is inebriated. The documents with reference to clearance to take off include this test result and the pilot will be pulled out of the plane if his/her blood alcohol level is found above the legal limit. Multiple such positive reports have some disciplinary proceedings under the rules of the airlines and the pilot association sometimes facilitate representing the pilot to keep his/her job as well as license.

36 years ago, a young (17-year-old) boy along with a close friend were alleged to be in an inebriated state pushed a 15-year-old girl child into a bedroom and attempted to sexually assault her and when she tried to scream, the assaulter kept one of his hands in her mouth making it difficult for her to breath. She claims that at one point, she thought he was accidentally going to kill her. When this alleged young boy was about to be nominated recently to the highest court of the United States, she decided to come forward and report this incident to the Senators 36 years later. In her testimony, she said this incident permanently altered her life. She described the boys uncontrolled laughter at her cost is stored in her hippocampus forever.

She and her family faced so many death threats and eventually ended up moving their residence away. With all fairness, the accused Judge categorically declared he was not involved in any incident of that sort with anyone. During his testimony, he declared that he likes beer and at times he had too many beers. His angry response has now become a history and much discussed for his judicial temperament. Unanimously, all the Senators and the President declared that the accuser was very credible. Later, they arranged for FBI inquiry and concluded that there were no corroborating witnesses despite many voluntary witnesses were never even entertained by FBI according to the reports in the press. One retired Judge who supported the Judge for nomination, now declared that he didn’t have judicial temperament to serve in the Supreme Court. American Bar Association is reviewing his highest rating on judicial temperament once again after his testimony. A peer Judge who served along with him has referred more than 15 complaints to the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court in the last 3 weeks including some relating to his testimony in the Senate. Despite all these developments, the Judge was declared fit to serve as a Justice of the Supreme Court and majority of the Senators voted in favor. He was sworn as an Associate Justice to the Supreme Court yesterday.

Now, be prepared for a weird news from Minnesota (source: Huffington Post). Some birds in Minnesota are getting really flocked up on fermented berries, according to police in the city of Gilbert. On Tuesday, the department posted a notice on Facebook warning citizens that it has received several reports of birds that appear to be “‘under the influence’ flying into windows, cars and acting confused.” Apparently, the birds are getting boozed up from berries that fermented earlier than usual due to an early frost. Matthew Dodder, a self-described “bird guy” in Palo Alto, California, told The Washington Post that since there’s no such thing as a birdie breathalyzer, you must look at their in-flight behavior to the level of avian intoxication.

“They’ll be flying kind of erratically,” he said. “We typically see them flying lower than usual through traffic. They’re just careless and they’re not looking for cars or other obstacles.” He said robins, cedar waxwings and thrushes are the bird species most likely to tie one on since they eat more berries than other species. “They just get sloppy and clumsy,” Dodder said. “They have actually fallen out of trees on occasion.” The Gilbert Police Department post said the birds will likely sober up soon after the fermented berries are eaten and asked locals not to call unless they see “Angry Birds laughing and giggling uncontrollably and appearing to be happy” or “Tweety acting as if 10 feet tall and getting into confrontations with cats.” Basically, the Gilbert Police Department said, “Birds will be birds” just like what we all heard lifelong “boys will be boys”.

Now there are two questions for the law enforcement and Senators in the US. Can girls/women who get sexually assaulted by the men/boys who laugh and giggle uncontrollably in an inebriated state report the boys as well and if so, what consequences the boys would face? Do these intoxicated birds in Gilbert qualify to be nominated to the highest Court of the United States? Because they like fermented berries, at times they are angry, have too many berries and attack passing vehicles. Rarely, they pass out of inebriation and fall out of the tree as well.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    Thyagarajan, Laks09, Gauri03 and 3 others like this.
  2. Viswamitra

3. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Hmm....a social compulsion for some and a way of life for others! Good that their past is coming to affect their future!

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Dear Smt. GeetaKashyap,

Actually, she is a Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology and teaches in Palo Alto University and Standford University. She said even though she resisted her urge to communicate so much before writing it confidentially to her Congresswoman, she had to come out as it is her civic duty to the nation to tell the truth as this matter was leaked out to the press. She attempted to communicate even before he was selected for nomination out of a short list.

Thyagarajan and GeetaKashyap like this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Stanford - check. PhD - check. Lives in Palo Alto - check. Bedroom has two doors - check. Mentioned hippocampus in testimony - check. How can we not believe her? How can we not get her justice?

What should the world do? By any which way help her prove her accusations? How? The mocking speech Trump gave in Mississippi should be listened to ignoring the mocking.

I find it more disturbing how vehement people are about her accusations getting proven true.

Much as I hate to say this, I am more worried for our sons now. I can be shown statistics that women are more likely to get assaulted than a man is likely to be wrongly accused, but the way a man can get tried in the media or in his social/professional circle disturbs me greatly.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  7. Viswamitra

@Rihana,

Seriously? The one who paid thousands of dollars to keep women quiet for a long time and denied such allegations forever only to eventually release them from their Non-disclosure Agreements? One who requested his best press friend to payoff many such women creating a locker-full of content of such settlements making that press friend an important witness in the Mueller investigation? The one who lied thousands of times since he took office as President leave alone the lies he said prior to his assuming office?
    How? How? How?

Really? Despite most sexual assault not being reported, in general according to the statistics? You can keep worrying about the men while the men keep ridiculing those women who come forward to report.

My blood boils more when I see people in power using women like a toy showing their patriarchal mentality and try to stop investigations and women vehemently support such alleged men like Senator Susan Collins. But for the Blue dress, do you think Clinton would have admitted his guilt? What about Cosby? What about Anthony Weiner? What about Roger Aisles? What about other celebrities who had one hidden life forever until the press found that out? Where is the honesty in public life?

- By allowing all who volunteer to provide information to FBI and investigate further
    - By getting the list of children in both schools and Yale University colleagues and conduct a thorough inquiry
    - By reviewing the police report filed for misbehavior after getting drunk
    - By inquiring what is meant by "Devil's Triangle", "Renate Alumni" and so on
    - By inquiring 15 complaints filed by the peer Judge to the Supreme Court Chief Justice

What is the hurry in appointing the Justice by doing an incomplete investigation? How long the investigation lasted against Bill Clinton? Do you expect women to wear body-cameras when they get sexually assaulted?

8. Viswamitra

Dear Satchi,

Interesting read. I learned something new thanks to you. But I am glad you didn't bring it up a week earlier. Otherwise, Dr Peek would have ended up as an expert witness in the Senate. :roflmao:

Thyagarajan and satchitananda like this.
  9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes, seriously. Paying attention to the message or opinion while setting aside aspects of the messenger.

After I read that litany of Trump's faults in your response, and the implicit assertion that hence what he said is not at all worthy of any attention or merit, I skipped reading the rest of the response properly. Not keen to conduct a side discussion/education on tu quoque (a special case of ad hominem). Will quote the below excerpt from wiki. Might respond to the rest of the post later. You have brought in way too many points to allow for a focused discussion on one or few related points.

It (tu quoque) is a fallacy because the moral character or actions of the opponent are generally irrelevant to the logic of the argument. It is often used as a red herring tactic and is a special case of the ad hominem fallacy, which is a category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of facts about the person presenting or supporting the claim or argument. Source

10. Viswamitra

@Rihana,

Thank you for your response and for enlightening me about tu quoque from wiki. I am neither a Republican Senator nor the President to resist getting the corroboration after getting the truth from a woman. I accept your exceptional knowledge gracefully with reverence as well as wiki quote.

A few side notes: Unfortunately, I am one of those low energy & low IQ guy with limited personal growth and unable to read only the message after ignoring the action and demeanor of the President. I also wish to mention I referred to his adventures from the point of view of how he can relate with one who is currently suffering from such allegations. I also humbly mention that being an editor myself, I am familiar with how wiki's paragraphs are vigorously agreed and disagreed behind the scene.

Rihana likes this.