1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

India Here I Come

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Bills paid for a month in advance. Check. A month’s supply of food for Orion was bought. Check. A/C Filter was bought and kept with an instruction to my son to change it on the due date. Check. I have explained to my son about the sprinkler auto start timing and how to make it work manually, if needed. Check. I have given him a list of vendors if there is an electrical, plumbing, carpentry work to be done. Check. Orion’s worm and flee medication to be given on April 15th is mentioned to my son. Check. I have told my son the location of his passport and OCI card, if he needs to come to India for some reason. Check. I have purchased all shopping list items as instructed by my wife. Check. Reconfirmation of travel ticket was completed. Check. Contact phone numbers of most in India and US are kept ready for packing. Check. How to dial mom and dad, if needed, is explained to my son. Check. Instructions about where to leave Orion, if my son needs to travel is explained. Check. Kitchen is cleaned perfectly for my wife to find it in a nice form when she returns. Check. Both refrigerators cleaned thoroughly for use by my son. Check. Passport and OCI card reviewed and kept ready for travel. Check. No need to arrange ride to the airport as my son will drop me but I need to set up a ride from Orlando airport on my return as I am arriving in Orlando on my return with the family. Check. No mail stop instructions as my son will be home to collect them and keep it in a box including junk mails.

Finally, I am ready for a long vacation to India!!! Wait, did I say vacation? No, it is going to be a grilling summer and a lot to be accomplished during my stay in India. The day I arrive, I need to start the first day of my mother’s annual ceremony and complete it over the next four days. With my broken hip muscle and burning/numbing toes, I need to sit in the ground for hours to perform the rituals. For the 4th day auspicious event, I have invited all the guests over phone from here and I must make sure everyone is happy and welcomed with a smiling face. I need to sit in a smoke filled room and tell them I am not crying about their visit but it is the smoke that makes me shed tears. If I can only catch some sleep sleeping among mosquitoes despite applying a strong mosquito repellent and the honking of the subway train to tell everyone in the area how early they started working, I will be cheerful.

I have exactly 7 days left to cajole the buyer of our parents’ property to set the documents ready for review so that I could complete registration at least around April 18th after the birth of an auspicious month. During this period, I need to speak to real estate agents to find another property to reinvest the proceeds from sale of my parents’ property and find out from tax advisors how capital gains tax refund can be obtained back. As a foreign citizen, 22% will be deducted from the proceeds to be given by the buyer. Luckily, I can save trips to family members as I meet them immediately after I reach India. April 1st, I need to go to Karnataka to perform a few Homams in the house of a world-famous Guru who advises me regularly, whose house is in the banks of Cauvery. After finishing that, I need to run to Sringeri to perform Sumangali Pooja in the holy presence of Sringeri Mahasanidhanam. All these events are preorganized by our Guruji. After many temple visits in Karnataka, I will return to Chennai probably in 4-5 days. Then I have many other events to attend in Chennai while in between I need to make a couple of business trips including a trip to Bangalore and Trivandrum to meet some clients and at least one prospect who is the founder of a leading hospital chain and educational institutions worldwide.

My son would like me to attend his friend’s wedding on Colombo, Sri Lanka on April 17th, if possible. I need to apply for visa to go to Sri Lanka perhaps when I am in India as they issue online visas. Hopefully, when I am traveling on business, my wife will finish all her shopping and keep it ready to pack. After my parent’s house registration, I need to decide where to invest funds until we find a suitable real estate to buy. I need to attend 80th birthday of my cousin on April 19th and leave for the US on April 21st.

So far, I was successful in avoiding courier service for friends and family with an exception of one that required a few medications from the US. Hopefully, I will be allowed to bring what I need when I return to the US and so help me God. Frankly, I am very happy staying home, having a lot of fun at work, attending The Hospice service every Saturday and the spiritual center every Sunday. It feels like 11 months of happy time and 1 month of grueling work when I go to India. Only consolation in India is a few hours of watching IPL. Go CSK!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Your mother was such a wonderful lady that she deserves a fitting farewell. . Knowing you as I do, you will do it extremely well.

LifeInPieces likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

Thank you very much. I take it as your blessings. Shoba left last month to make arrangements. It is our wish that all of the rituals and dhanams may have to be done perfectly. In addition, we are also arranging for annadhanam separately. I have completed 11 months here in the US and it was our wish to perform the annual ceremony with our relatives.

Viswa

LifeInPieces likes this.
  4. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Quite a busy schedule under the hottest sun, @Viswamitra Sir. Have a great time in India.

LifeInPieces and Viswamitra like this.
  5. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

All the best for the rituals . I second Anna that you will definitely perform well and get your mother's blessings

Viswamitra likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

Geeta,

Thank you for your response. I am hoping to enjoy the trip to Karnataka as well.

Viswa

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

Dear Vijiakka,

Thank you and I take that as your blessings, Akka. I need my mother's blessings, yours and Cheeniya Sir's.

Viswa

iyerviji likes this.
  8. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,

Wish everything goes smoothly despite the sweltering heat. Looking forward to meeting you this time around when you make it to Bangalore.

Bon Voyage.

9. Viswamitra

Dear Satchi,

The business meeting I talked about in my snippet is in Bangalore. How can I go without calling and meeting you? Thank you, as always, for your wishes.

Viswa

10. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dearest Viswa uncle,

Have a wonderful trip to India. I am sure you will have a great time and come back home with a greater satisfaction as you have perfomed your duty to your best.

Love,
    Vani

Viswamitra likes this.