How Important Is Time ?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by reca, May 17, 2018.

1. reca

reca Silver IL'ite

Hello ILs,
    How important is time to you ? How you spend most of your time daily ?
    How you use it to Improve and take care of yourself and your family ? Share your ideas so that others can benefit and organize well :)
    Best Regards,
    R

paarth, kkrish, ratan and 1 other person like this.

2. ratan

ratan Gold IL'ite

Each moments all together make a person's entire life as each drop of water makes a ocean, so how we want our life to be , spend moments accordingly. If we want to pass only then paas futitely. If we want to utilise then utilise each moment innovatively & creatively. Choice is in our hand.

3. reca

reca Silver IL'ite

@ratan : Thank you for your perspective on time .. this helps ...

ratan likes this.
  4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Time is the only true currency we possess. We trade time, literally hours of our lives, for every possession, relationship, and experience we hoard. Look around you--the clothes you are wearing, the house you live in, the movies you've watched, the books you've read, the people you spend time with, even your IL likes (yikes!)--were ultimately paid for in time. I traded a few minutes of my life for writing this post. Was it worth it? :thinking:

Treasure your time, it's your life, and be careful what you spend it on because one day those things, relationships and experiences will add up to the sum total of your life. Before you do something ask whether that is the best use of those precious minutes of your life, time that will never be returned to you. You don't want to wake up one day and feel like you frittered your life away on things that ultimately didn't matter at all. The people in your life, the ones who matter to you, should get the lion's share of your time, followed by your passions and experiences, followed by material possessions.

5. BerryPine

BerryPine Gold IL'ite

I truly believe in time and tide wait for none. I trust spending time with children is more important as their childhood is for a short period of time. Even if I miss a day without quality time with kids,the guilt will take over me. And for myself 'ME' time is where i get recharge myself. Without that I many a times fail to be present at the present. My me time includes listening to music,doodling,painting,baking,spa,IL,sometimes just doing nothing and apart from regular house chores my everyday includes yoga,walking and some random activities.

To make kids realize the worth of time I custom made a clock with color codes and handwritten activity on it,they eventually started following and believe they're valuing their time(for how long! no clue)

GeetaKashyap and salad like this.
  6. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

I'll get back to you after my nap.

kaniths, Rihana and vaidehi71 like this.
  7. reca

reca Silver IL'ite

Hello @Gauri03 ,
    Thank you for sharing your time and views on time :) Of course it is worth while sharing your thoughts.

kaniths and Gauri03 like this.
  8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

They say 'take care of the minutes, and the hours and days will take care of themselves", "time is not a renewable resource" and so on. I have a bit more of a laid-back approach to it. It is indeed precious, and should be used wisely but if I look back, I cannot say I have done that. No regrets either. If any regrets, it is for missing opportunities that came by, and to not having accomplished some could-have's.

It is difficult to describe ... basic gist is that I am not super organized with time, not efficient either, allow people and events to waste my time when I shouldn't, but overall, it works out fine. On the other hand, I am always early for bus, train, airplane departures : ), on time with bills, and rarely late for parties.

Aside from the above unsuccessful summary, on the more practical side, we have always believed in outsourcing what can be outsourced. Cut down drastically on time spent in social obligations and children's activities. Simple eating, and eating days old food.

GeetaKashyap and reca like this.
  9. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Few years ago, I greatly moaned about lack of time.

I listed only four exigencies for a day:

(1) Watch News.
    (2) Learn a concept or read about an invention, about a person, about an art form, science fact or any new learning a day.
    (3) 15 minutes exercise.
    (4) Practice some form of writing, anywhere, everyday.

I miserably failed and complained about lack of time. I could not accomplish all every day.

Then I came across a basic cue-behavior-reward-reinforcement method to adapt ourselves to fulfilling choices in life.

Cue - the start or trigger of an emotion
    behavior - to act upon that emotion
    reward - ensuing guilt or pride
    reinforcement - turns into a habit

Earlier,

Cue - wake up
    Behavior - roll in bed, another 5 mins, 10 mins, 20 mins, just another 30 minutes
    Reward- extreme guilt
    Reinforcement - waste an hour in the mornings by rolling and day-dreaming and wriggling my feet.

Now,

Cue - wake up
    Behavior - immediately turn on the news on mobile
    Reward- satisfactory pride
    Reinforcement - urge to listen to news on wake up

Why is this classified under time inquiry? Because our activity clock resets to 24 hours on loan.

If we fail on early attempts to accomplish the timed fulfillment, sense the next day as reset of the game period and organize yourself again for another round of the same game. Do that few times and eventually you will get a hang of the 24 hours reset as a game and claim the predefined goals with increasing self-awareness. And remember that cue-behavior-reward-reinforcement. I have been ticking (1), (2), (3), (4) consistently for some time now.

I imagine time as a playful opponent in a game to combat and knock down.

reca likes this.