Depressed!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by PLK, Sep 25, 2018.

1. PLK

PLK Silver IL'ite

I have worked at a senior position and have been laid off due to cost cutting issues. All these years I have put all my best efforts to give a quality throughput and it really hurts when they just terminate while praising your work.I am 46 and trying my best for a suitable job at same level or little junior level but no success. Can age be an issue in hiring? I disagree that I should have an early retirement and that too forceful. Some days are too depressing. Please advice.

2. GlobetrotterG

GlobetrotterG Silver IL'ite

Sorry to Hear that. I can guess that you have been in a IT/ITES related job that's undergoing tremendous transformation like digital etc OR Job in a domain in which economy is not doing well. I Hope you were given sufficient notice on that regard or get compensated for a couple of months till you get another job.

I think this is what is hurting you the most, You had that human value to contribute to the job. But , in reality it is all about the economy/Commerce i.e Making a profit that seems to form the basis. So, Please do not be so hard on yourself, rather give a pat on your back and cherish the values

may be some IL members can suggest more on how you find a new job. You have not given a description of the industry/role of your job, so that someone here can guide you. Please choose a role that values your experience, as it would be really tough to compete with Millienials

nakshatra1 and PLK like this.
  3. PLK

PLK Silver IL'ite

Thanks dear, I will and am searching for a job. My question is, isn't 46 early for retirement? I wish to work atleast till I can, atleast a decade.At present, everything is together, menopause, teen kids, job loss...Just need some pat and motivation

4. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Please do not be demotivated. I had to take a break from work due to kids and other things . I remember being really depressed initially but decided I had to make the most of my time away from work. Focus on your job search . Devote atleast 2 hrs everyday . Between the job searches do not forget to enjoy life . Pursue your interests , take a walk , get a manicure, pamper yourself. Catch up with your teenagers , watch movies with them.
    Life is too short and unpredictable to have any regrets. I have had so many wakeup calls this year. People lost in accidents, people battling terminal diseases. I am sure if you asked them about the one thing they wanted it would be to just live. Something that most of us take for granted.

shravs3 and PLK like this.
  5. PLK

PLK Silver IL'ite

Well, I am still serving a notice period with full load and trying for job. Perhaps I may not get a break also. My objection is to people asking me to retire. IsntI retirement age my decision?

6. Rojagarden

Rojagarden Platinum IL'ite

Don’t be depressed. You’re not old to be forcefully retired. I read an article online recently that suggests people should start full time job only at 40 and work till 70-80. The HR or whoever conveyed this to you must be an younger immature person who doesn’t know the right manner to convey this to you. Just forgive the person and the company you worked for and move on. I know its easier said than done.

Trust me time is a great healer. You’ll forget this company and this depression phase once you get a new job, which I’m sure you will with your experience. It’s just a matter of time.

Just a suggestion. If you are not financially required to work, how about take this is as an opportunity to enjoy your hobbies or go on vacation for few months, relax and then start looking for a new job. This may be a self realizing phase as well when you’re on a break.

HazelPup and PLK like this.
  7. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

"people"? Who people? Perhaps I had missed it; but you are with a spouse, aren't you ? Is he the people ?

Retirement is your decision. No people can decide that for you. That feeling happens when the balance sheet equation (benefits of working - costs of working ≤ 0 ) for your life tells you so.

Very often when one has sufficient money, it would seem that one would not want a salaried job very badly. If the life partner is making enough for all in the family, and you have complete control of all the wealth/investments of the family (both conditions must apply), perhaps an early retirement, at whatever age could be OK.

Added later: I am "early" retired. And now settled into a busy life of doing only things I like.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    PLK likes this.
  8. sonal1611

sonal1611 Gold IL'ite

Hi @PLK

Please dont be depressed.. Keep searching.. If market is down.. It may take some time.. But it will happen .. Be positive..

I hope there is not more of financial burden..

Retirement age is to be decided by you only ..

Calculate ur finances ..

Dont be so negative..

Its a phase.. it will pass..

PLK likes this.
  9. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

What does it matter what people ask or think ? They might ask out of sheer curiosity or just trying to indulge in small talk. No one can force you to retire . It is solely your decision right ? So why stress over a problem when there is none ?
    Good luck!

PLK likes this.
  10. peet1983

peet1983 Silver IL'ite

Since you are in notice period, its the high time that you may get hired. Update you job portal and set the notice period to less value. There are so many employers who needs immediate joiners.

All the best

Anisu and PLK like this.