1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Conflict Management Of Fil/dil .

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Apr 8, 2019.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

CONFLICT MANAGEMENT of FIL/DIL .

I boarded the flight from Bangalore to Mumbai and found my seat.I had sported the Vaishnavite straight redline on my forehead.I have started this after a nanogenerian had assured me that the straight redline will help me avoid ICU in my final journey.When this gentleman tried to extend the advice to adorning the two white lines that will make garuda help me find the way to heaven I stopped him short saying that as a marketing man I had travelled quite a bit all by myself and can find my way without help.Sorry for the digression.

Seated next to me was a dhoti clad gentleman in his seventies similarly sporting the redline on his forehead.It was chemistry at first sight.You are from……..?.It was clear that he was waiting for such a question..”I am from Bangalore staying with my first son and travelling to Mumbai to be with the second son for some time. I hate to stay in Mumbai in summer but helpless due to machinations of my DIL[.Thalayanai mandhiram pottu ennai kilapivittuta].Having been away from Chennai for over three decades I fail to catch the nuances of double meaning words.Seeing my puzzled expression,the gentleman got agitated and said that it is called pillow talk when a girl can easily influence the male species. He continued”.This is the biggest weapon in the womens arsenal and infact,God has equipped women with this self defence cum offence mechanism””.I felt air turbulence even though the flight had not taken off.

Ramanujam continued after the flight took off”’Four days back ie Sunday my son,DIL and grandson did not wake up till eleven AM.They had seen a movie Mission Impossible the previous night.I went to the kitchen to make my coffee.With great difficulty I located a coffee filter with both the chambers intact.I took the milk sachet and tried to cut it open.Something went wrong and the entire milk spilt on the floor. Imagine me 70+ mopping the floor on a sunday morning while the entire family was happily sleeping.I waited till my son left for his office on Monday and gave vent to my ire by pointing out,that the fridge was stocked with half eaten items,smelly pizza,two /three cups of cooked dal,different chutneys which have outlived their utility,half eaten fruits etc and almost made a power point presentation on wastage.She did not reply,gave me a scornful look and closed her room with a bang.It was too late that just then I remembered my brothers advice to watch my word when Raghu and Kethu are in transit..Throughout the day my conversation with DIL was in sign language. On Tuesday morning my second son called me up from Mumbai and said that he needed my help and therefore had emailed my air ticket for travel to Mumbai on Thursday.This is the story and here I am.His final shot was that both his sons were partners in conspiracy[kootu kalavanigal]We parted company at Mumbai,with the usual- I enjoyed your company and let us keep in touch.

This ranting and raving led me to recall my conversation with a few seniors over a period of time some of which I share with you all now.

“My DIL never tells me anything directly but conveys only through her husband.Why cant she be open and discuss the problem with me”’ Mr Sadagopan said..My answer to this was that perhaps he had not made it comfortable for her to give a feeling of belonging plus his age.Remove the perception of barrier and make her feel that she is as much an owner of this home as others in the home..Very often wrong advice is given by senior friends to keep a distance so that the DIL does not take liberties.

Another person complained that his DIL asked him to wash his coffee cups whenever the maid was absent.. I told him that in a similar situation in my daughters house I not only washed my cups but also some other vessels to free her from the strain. Why should this be different with DIL.The gentleman had no answer.To add to the punch I said that my daughter called me “mad” when I wanted to travel by myself.Would you tolerate if your DIL calls you mad?

One more interesting case is that of an young couple making a holiday trip to Greece ,two days after the departure of FIL to his daughters house elsewhere.The aspect which hurt him was that all discussion between the couple,their seven year old son was held in hush hush tone and packing was done secretly.”” Only the lady in the neighbours house who knows more about what is happening in the others houses than in her own, spilled the beans secretly to me.Had I known this earlier I would have stopped it.My son is already groaning under the weight of of EMI for house,car for his wife inverter Fridge etc.If he had wanted a change he could have gone to our village, visited our family deity temple.Added to that was their travel starts on Ashtami day considered inauspicious for any activity.I would have atleast asked them to postpone their trip”’.I counselled him that these are precise reasons for their surgical strike to Greece and he should refrain from giving advice and just wish them a safe journey.

Just one more example-DIL set the table and disappeared asking the senior to help himself.As soon as he finished DIL would come and have her lunch.The gentlemans grievance-was he an untouchable?.On complaining,his neighbour told him that his Dil was unable to tolerate the old man spilling food all over his kurtha and smearing the dining tableletc.The furious gentleman on hearing this retorted that did she know that he washed her husbands inner wear till he was almost ten. The problem could have been solved by getting a bib and helping the old man to wear it while eating.The last straw on the camels back was when he heard his DIL describing him to her friend as an immovable property and that is why they were not able to go on holidays any where.

Not surprisingly these are cases where the men had lost their wives and staying with their children.This is important as one gentleman said that had his wife been alive she would have ruled the roost.

MY TAKE[I am imitating Rajdeep Sardesai]

The girl leaves her comfort zone and gets into a new environment with anxiety and possibly apprehension.Seniors should try and extend the comfort zone in their house.Seniors should not give a presentation of their son,his and dislikes etc.At best it can be an executive summary or a foreword..Given their acumen for observation and intuition girls can make an exhaustive summary of their man quickly.

Accept her as their daughter and behold fifty percent of the problems are solved.Same should be thecase with the girl mentally accepting them as her parents.Direct communication avoids distortion and misreporting.Girls should not be abrasive but ceratainly assertive.Girls should be sensitive to the fixed notions and idiosyncracies of old people as after all the old are keeping the seat warm for them.Create an environment of the golf course at home with friends,humour,music and enjoyable food.If the girl makes up her mind there is no boundary for the golf course.As for seniors understand “The tyrant known as man,thought that a womans place was around the frying pan.It was good enough for his wife but is not good enough for me “.Dont underestimate the power of touch,a kind word,a listening ear,an honest compliment can easily turn a life around” .

2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

"No Country for Old Men" the movie won 4 Oscars, including The Best Picture in the year 2008.

We have chosen 3 different old age homes in different continents for the stay of one of us, if the other one departs earlier. That would be the best way to go, instead of bugging a child, and her cohabitante.

Old guys who are jetting from son to son, and complaining about the daughter in law, could easily find the solace in the parable about the comparison of the misery without footwear to the misery without feet.

In-laws are like the weather; when we don't have it bad enough, we don't know what to do with conversation.

Afresh, Anusha2917 and satchitananda like this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Well said, Sir. If all ILs were to be so wise, there would not be so much of unnecessary friction.

4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

+1 " so wise " indeed.
    Why old men would imagine that their DIL's would be friendly/tolerant/nice to them, when all of her life's lessons had been recommending that she keep her distance from weird old men, and be safe.

FIL's without the benefit of a supporting wife, begin with the presumption of being a weird old guy, [even without the baggage of a reputation], and have to prove otherwise (to their daughter in laws) by their behaviors in the cohabiting existence. This is tough on an old geezer when he has his own preconceived notions of his importance to the world in general.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    Afresh, yellowmango and satchitananda like this.
  5. satchitananda

Mil - Dil conflicts: Mil has had a tough time with her ILs and husband and takes it out on the dil.
    Fil - Dil conflicts: The elderly man has had his way all his life with his mother and wife and expects the same to continue with the dil.

I agree elderly people have their idiosyncracies. But the question is how old is really old. Very often when the son gets married, the 'older' people will probably be in their 50s. Is that really old enough to avail of 'old enough to make life difficult for others' facility? Even for senior citizen facilities, women have to wait until 58 and men until 65.

Sir, these are just my thoughts because we always talk of these factors to justify/forgive the idiosyncracies of 'elders'. You, for example are also elderly but you are wise enough to understand what a young woman entering the family goes through. Just wish more people were like that. The issue is not so much to do with age as with a sense of privilege being the parents of sons.

I am glad that Mr. Ramajujan has sons who are united and stand together while ensuring that the father gets looked after one way or the other. If he really felt the dil was wrong, why did he not have the courage to say the same in front of his son instead of waiting to attack the dil after the son left for work? For all we know, the son might have been party to all those half eaten things in the frig.

Interesting story. It is an eye-opener, indeed.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  6. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

There is always the other side.Normally fathers -in-law supported DIL and in such houses MIL-DIL clash will become more severe.
    Rarely certain men are interested in working in kitchen.At the outset this may appear a blessing to DIL. But difficulties are so many. The man in his 70s or 80s would plan the menu, cut the vegetables cook according to his taste compelling all others to eat.My daughter's FIl was such a person.Scorned by his wife for his unnecessary interference, he settled with his son and my daughter( his DIL)His lectures reg palakkad way of cooking , and the way she compelled her to note the receipe.He was a sugar patient. On many occasions he would make some Halwa or rava kesari, keep it hidden in his bed room, .As he would wash the vessels, there would be no symptom/indication of his having prepared the sweet. One day however he was caught and he begged my daughter not to tell his son.My daughter used to say'it is better to deal with the sharp punches of MIL.
    In Chennai, many FIL s go to ration shops, banks, pay electric bills, take grandchildren to school, clean the school uinforms, press them and they keep a cordial relationship with DIL. Since most of the jobs are done by FIL, DIL are considerate.problem will arise only the medical expenses shoot up.
    Experiences are multifold.Each case is different.Tales are normally exaggerated on both the sides.Nothing can be relied totally.
    In Senior citizens Home, if ,affordable, there is no such clash.They just take whatever is served. No one is to be blamed.

There are homes which take care of arrangements for the final journey also for which advance payment is already made.
    Jayasala 42

sindmani, Afresh, nakshatra1 and 2 others like this.
  7. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

You are always so astute. There was a case in Hyderabad where a kitchen-interfering FIL was blamed for "looking at his DIL the wrong way", and got into some serious mess with his own son and then the police.

If a man were unfortunate enough to lose his personal manager in his old age, he ought to find a way to move in with his daughter, and not his daughter in law. One easy way to do that is to bequeath all his own earned property and bank balances to his daughter rather than his son. When old men learn this lesson, and act accordingly, the world would become a better place.

startinganew likes this.
  8. satchitananda

True, parents living with daughters would be a better social arrangement, given that daughters are the ones looking after the home and they would be happier to look after their own parents than ILs. At least there would be more understanding between the generations and more harmony in the home.

9. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

10. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Amulet,
    I must see the movie.Every one needs an outlet when he is troubled even though there are positive aspects in every situation.Please consider that the man without his wife is like a boat without oar.
    SLN