1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Baby Cockroaches in Microwave...

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by rkgurbani, Nov 24, 2012.

1. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

My friend has a small microwave-cum-grill. She cleans it regularly and makes sure that there are no food particles or food odour in it.

However, inspite of al this, she found baby cockroaches inside her microwave. Now, she is not sure how and where they came from and where do they hide. she is really desperate to get rid of this problem.

Please ladies, do share your tips on this problem. and also, how to keep these tiny pests away from kitchen counters. Thanks in advance from my friend.

2. Topaz

Topaz Silver IL'ite

Well they do come to eat crumbs.......so there must have been some :) food for them. Having said that I'm surprised that when the micro is used they don't die?

Clean out the unit and maybe spray the bottom of the micro with bug spray!

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

it is said that cockroaches are the only things that will survive under any condition.

they may be on the outer cover and not in the inside..so they maybe nesting there.

the best possible way is to leave a trail of that boric+whole wheat flour medicine. check the airvent, the light source area..they are the most susceptible places.

how about steam cleaning the mw with vinegar and wiping off..

as topas says check out if there are crumbs/smells that drag them to the mw.

do put boric powder around the mw..the back of the mw. and also see if she keeps any food item on top of the mw..most of us do store bowls/ or whatever fancy. ensure those bowls are clean and dry. cockroaches bread in a damp environment faster.

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

If she has cockroaches in her micro, she has cockroaches everywhere. They are just hiding better. She needs to get an exterminator. I would not spray poison (aka bug spray) anywhere in or around my micro.

5. archana506

archana506 Gold IL'ite

You can try this tip.
    Mix boric powder, atta and sugar with some water to a paste consistency and put this in kitchen at some places. Leave it like that and in a month you cannot see a single baby cockroach.
    I have tried this and got rid of them.

6. Barnowl

Barnowl Gold IL'ite

It's said that only roaches will/and can survive a nuclear holocaust. Surviving in a microwave ought to be a cakewalk (pun unintended) for them.
    After getting over the initial uggh! feeling, here's what i'd do if i were in your friend's place:

1. Call Pest Control aka PCI. Ask them to fumigate the house and decontaminate the entire house, starting with the kitchen. Set up a periodical cleaning contract/AMC for doing so.
    2. After this is done, in a couple of days, there ought to be a pile or more of dead roaches and critters heaped up, depending on how dirty the kitchen is. I've seen this in my friend's erstwhile dirty kitchen. After seeing this with their own eyes, they pulled their socks up and kept the kitchen sparkling clean.
    3. Throw away the MW and buy a new one.
    4. Not use bug spray etc in the MW, especially, if i want to later use it for cooking food for humans.