1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

An Elephant In The Room

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Agatha83, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

It was in the middle of an interesting talk show between grand parents and their grand children, that this shocking revealation came from a young girl whose identity was not revealed.

It was during this round of question, about children being refused permission by grandparents to step out of their homes and not being allowed to play with their neighbour's kids, in the absence of their working parents, that this dreadful disclosure came out from one girl among the crowd that her next door neighbour showed her dirty pictures and that was the reason she avoided her neighbours. My heart missed a beat when I heard this and wondered what kind of callous society are we heading in to.

There was this other girl, who clearly minced no words, when she said how her mother, had explained through a video, about bad touch and good touch and how to differentiate between the two. At a tender age of six or seven, this girl stood tall among other kids who could talk about a subject which is still feared taboo among the elders and the society.

Now that we are living in a connected world where technology provides the best as well as the most perverted things with a touch of the button, the onus of keeping our children well informed about their safety, both in the virtual as well as the real world, lies on the shoulders of the parent.

Instead of teaching girls music and dance, let them get trained in martial arts, kickboxing, karate etc, which being life saving skills would help them to protect themselves anytime, throughout their life.
    It is the duty of parents to educate the child about sexual assault and provide vital information to the child about misbehaviour of any individual. A study on child abusers shows that major perpetrators are people who are close to the children, like uncles, cousins and neighbours- thus better to have a watch on them -an anonymous ayah or a loving uncle and their behaviour.

The parents have also the responsibility of educating the boys in teaching how to handle relationships with girls, what is appropriate behaviour and what are the limits which should not be crossed in their day to day dealings with girls. Most of the boys tend to get influenced by the pressure of peer groups and Internet which lands them in messy situations which even the parents are not aware of.

Segregation of genders is not an ideal platform, where healthy relationships or friendships between two individuals can evolve, but enlightening them with a basic knowledge and understanding on sex, parents can be assured of their children not getting in to any abusive relationships or situations. In the present predatory world, being innocent is the last thing every child or parent would want to be in.

Another incident is by a journalist who recalls her experience in a departmental stores, when she overheard a group of young boys from a nearby school heatedly discussing about a girl friend who refused to meet them with an excuse that she was surrounded by a whole lot of her girl friends. But one boy came out with a retort as to why that girl should be so scared or intimidated about just a casual meeting and was not a serious rape. The journalist, on hearing this remark, got furious and gave the boys an earful of how degrading it was to talk about a girl like that and told them that to never indulge in such nasty remarks again.

Recently, an NGO which went to rural schools in TN to educate the children about child abuse were shocked when they got feedback from girls as to how they have been sexually abused by their own relatives, a secret which they kept to themselves due to their innocence, as well as threats from the perpetrators.

All such incidents show that inspite of the best schools the children are sent to, the best quality of education they receive, they are as ignorant as the illiterate kids who are not exposed to the nuances of refined behaviour towards opposite sexes. Adding fuel to fire are the umpteen movies, that show boys can get away doing any mischief or harm to the girls. The rap songs or kuthu songs are outright vulgar, but also turn to be the periodic table teaching the boys the physical attributes of a teenage girl. Exposing kids to such gutter like movies leave a deep imprint on their minds at an impressionable age tending to degradable behaviour.

When the wrong doers go unpunished it only reflects an irresponsible society, where the victims family try to push such serious issues under the carpet, fearing social ostracisation, and also strive to protect the perpetrators if they happen to be their close relatives. With a legal system full of loopholes, the perpetrators of such grave crimes go scot-free where as the victims suffer with guilt and psychological trauma throughout their lives.

So instead of pressurizing the children in this highly competitive society, it is also the responsibility of parents to teach their children how to protect themselves from the unseen evils, real or virtual. It is not the marks they get, the trophies they collect, the competitions they win,- things which parents consider most remarkable landmarks in a child's life. But teach them to be self sufficient, courageous,to respect themselves and others, responsible for their activities and be open to their parents scrutiny honestly. An open communication with them, answering delicate questions put by their children as honestly as possible, taking them into confidence with an open mind, supporting them emotionally in times of crisis - these are the safety belts which come to rescue to the children when they are alone- in a world where wolves are roaming around in the garb of sheep. The story of Red riding hood is no longer a fairy tale in today's world of violence and abuse.

guesshoo, anika987, Cheeniya and 14 others like this.

2. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Agatha,

A very sensible blog, and what u say makes a lot of sense.
    Yes i agree with u onmost points. The parents must teach the children about the appropriate touches , how to respect girls, the changes that will take place during puberty, and so on.
    Karate and all that , perfect.
    Also to be taught is, the danger of mobile phones, where even one mistake and if caught on camera, can be sent on whats app, forever spoiling the girls reputation. And how to avoid these situations.

A lot of things lke these, must be taught even in schools, in special classes to both the bopys and girls, like the moral science classes we used to have some 50 years back in my school.

Superb blog, and i am glad i gave the first comment to this wonderful and sensible one.

Regards

kamal

La96, Lathasv and Agatha83 like this.
  3. meril

meril Gold IL'ite

Dear @Agatha83

Thanks for bringing out a serious issue faced by girls in the society. I strongly believe young girls should be protected from the lusty men. A bad behaviour of these people can bring in horrible nightmares and discomfort to them.

Parents can play a very important role by educating the girls as well as the boys on bad touch and good touch as mentioned by Agatha. They should also make the kid feel comfortable to share any incident with the parent, and tell them to let them know whatever the matter is even if anyone asked them not to share it with anyone.
    There may be incidents in the kid's life where someone promises the child not to tell so and so incident to anyone.

Karate not only helps in self defence, but brings about the self confidence in the child. Let the girl grow and play along with the different gender, restricting them to their own gender may make them feel inferior or consider them to be dangerous. On the other hand, watch while they play and pay attention to them.

Make sure you ask them about their day and what did they do at school as a norm, and make it a point you listen to every word carefully.

Let them live a blissful childhood!

La96 and satchitananda like this.
  4. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Kamalji for being the first one to comment on my thread. Being a delicate topic, I was apprehensive to put things in black and white. But what bleeds my heart is child abuse, which off late is finding a prominent place as a front page news in leading newspapers and about which nothing much has been done from the government side. The NGOs are doing a good job, but still this subject should not be put under silence mode, but be shouted at the top of their voices by the victims.

Agatha83

5. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear meril,

What self defense can a 3 month old baby have. As long as the child has protective parents or grand parents, the safety of the child is assured but what about the abandoned children. It is a traumatic experience for the child, and the entire humanity should stand up against persons who commit such barbaric acts. Thanks for your valuable feedback.
    Agatha83

umaakumar and Lathasv like this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Agatha,

I completely endorse everything you said in your snippet including teaching the girls kickboxing, karate, etc., telling them to differentiate good touch from bad touch, teaching the boys how to behave with the girls and how to draw a line in their friendship with a girl, etc. I also endorse your view on the risk of known friends, neighbors and relatives could be a predator for a girl as we have heard that number of times. As if all these risks are not enough, internet has added a lot more risks to the young minds unless parents are really watchful. Unfortunately, in a society where both parents work, this becomes difficult.

Please don't read this, if you are not an adult, as the following sentences have graphic details of what I have seen in Facebook.

I happened to view a Facebook video last night and it made me feel really sick to my stomach. An Indian woman interviewer was asking young unmarried Indian women about their sex life and each one of them responded in a public domain without bothering about their parents, relatives and friends how they would view their comments. Some explained what turns them on quickly, a few demonstrated how to have protected sex and one went to the extent of saying that in order to make the experience meaningful, she would pretend the person as her husband. Some talked about the frequency and some talked about self-sex. I am not questioning their premarital sex but why should they make it public as if they would like to invite trouble to themselves and to other women? There are more to this video and I am not writing all of that because it is difficult for me to write it here. I have tried my best to write this in a decent language and this video really made me feel very sad.

In my view, it is irresponsible behavior by young unmarried women. This video proved that our society has changed significantly towards western culture with no respect for the honorable Indian culture. Even if parents put a lot of effort to discipline children, they get influenced by the peers so much. This kind of interviews are examples of deteriorating culture. Young unmarried men are even worse going by what you have narrated in your snippet. Even in a forum like this, married women are careful what they discuss about their personal life unless they have a serious life problem and genuinely seek help from other married women.

Viswa

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  7. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,

With changing times , the most valued Indian culture is going in for a spin. School girls are caught in the course of drinking during class hours and some of them, viewing **** clips through their mobile, though most schools have banned the use of mobiles in schools. Premarital affairs and illicit relationships lead to countless suicides. Unlike the west, the Government has not brought in, sex education as a compulsory subject in schools, Which sure would help many teenagers to get through relationships, without resorting to suicides. But here, I have talked about child abuse and I am yet to fathom the horrendous nature of human mind that can resort to such gruesome acts.

Agatha83

vaikhari and Viswamitra like this.
  8. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Agatha,

It is nice of you having started discussion on this vital issue.many parents concentrate on grades/ranks giving little importance to the essential aspect.

Is it time to talk about sexuality and puberty with your kids? Sex education is important for kids and teens to avoid abuse, develop healthy relationships and be aware of their bodies. Here are 11 books by Indian authors that can help you start the conversation.

Talking about sex, puberty and relationships is still a topic of taboo in Indian households. But it needn’t be so anymore. If you’re looking to start a dialogue with your children, here’s a list of books you need to get. For kids below 10 years of age, read it with them, exploring topics of sexuality. For pre-teens and teenagers, give them the privacy they deserve while they read, and the space they need to think. Encourage them to come forward with questions. And remember, answer all questions honestly, without shame or hesitation. They have no one safer to turn to other than parents, teachers, or responsible adults

You can have a better idea of these books if you have a look at the website below

11 Amazing Indian Books to Take Children Through Sex Education and Puberty

I have already advised my daughter and daughter-in-law about these things and my daughter who has a girl child of 14 years has already initiated discussions on this two years back since her daughter was about to attain puberty.They have selected books suited to their children.

Jayasala 42

jssd, Poetlatha and Agatha83 like this.
  9. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Hi Agatha,

This topic is quite relevant to all societies. I agree that in Indian culture we are not taught about these issues, partly hesitancy from the parents as well. But with the advancement in technology they can learn these issues pretty fast and sometimes can be harmful.

Anyhow the topic has to be dealt with by parents or some others.

One option would be schools initiative. Here schools have such education for kids. I know because I sent my kids to such classes. Basically they were taught about inappropriate behaviours by anyone, stranger beware issues, etc. Quite useful and helpful to kids. Another one was before they went to high school, more on safe sexual education etc. They provide resources for such things. Since most kids attend such optional discussions/ teachings at school it is helpful for them as they grow up. Parents can reinforce such issues. These sort of initiatives could be done. Not all parents are going to be in the same wavelength or preparedness to discuss such issues. So public awareness is essential to deal with these problems.

Thanks for the snippet.
    Vaidehi.

Poetlatha and Agatha83 like this.
  10. bmaquarius

bmaquarius Gold IL'ite

I appreciate the concerns expressed. Unfortunately we live in difficult times, where the innocence and carefree times of childhood has been lost forever. We are a failed society,judging by the quality of life and society live today. Economically upbeat does not necessarily make us a happy society. We rank poorly in terms of social welfare and happiness quotient, and that says it all.

umaakumar and Agatha83 like this.