Always Happy To See Children Doing Well In Forin ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Nonya, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

I am always happy to see desi children doing well in forin (phoren?). Here is a report on seven Indian-American children getting nominated to compete for Truman Scholarships...

7 Indian-American students nominated for Truman scholarship - Times of India

[​IMG]

Shreya Ganeshan of the University of Georgia. (Photo: www.uga.edu)

Among the scholarship finalists were Shreya Ganeshan of the University of Georgia, Anjali Misra of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Samarth Gupta of Harvard University, Megan Patel of Georgetown University, Maya Durvasula of Duke University, Manju Bangalore of the University of Oregon, and Anjana Murali of the University of Pittsburgh.

And six of those 7 seem to be girls. :kissingsmiling:

Here is a thread where you may post news of Indian diaspora children doing well in the world outside India.

P.S. I was amused at one name,viz.,Manju Bangalore. South Indians have their Town Name in among the various names.... and when they migrate to USA, they have that first-name, last-name, family-name,given-name mess. A Bangalore Ramasamy, may end up answering Ramasamy to "given name?" and the other one becomes the family name by default. :smirk:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017

2. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

True Nonya dear children are doing well in foreign countries andnow adays they like to settle there

3. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Yes. Do you think it relieves the over-crowding in India ? Albeit at the cost of less frequent facetime between those who are in India, and the close relatives who are in forin.

4. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Neal Kumar Katyal is the Attorney General of Hawaii. The first challenge to the version 2.0 of the muslim ban Exec. Order of POTUS is from Hawaii AG, Neal Kumar Katyal.

upload_2017-3-8_16-50-18.png

Attached Files:

5. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Here is a child who grew up in Iowa..... He is going to be something great in America.

6. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

These children are not Desi. Let's make that clear!!! They're children of desis probably, but definitely not desi children.

sheztheone and Amica like this.
  7. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

Canada's Defense Minister is Harjit Sajjan, born on Sept. 6th, 1970 in Punjab, India.

[​IMG]

Amica likes this.
  8. sheztheone

sheztheone Platinum IL'ite

Somehow this reminds me of Bobby Jindal, and the hype that was cause when he decided to run for president. He went to great lengths to show that he was, oh-so-American LOL!

While yes, I do feel proud of Indian origin kids doing well in foreign countries, it kind of leaves a bittersweet feeling cos of 2 reasons.

One, as peartree says, these children are NOT desi, and especially if they are second-generation Indians, they do not consider themselves desi.

Two, it makes me sad when I think that if all this talent was retained in India, we would be elsewhere on the global economic map.
    I think I am starting to come full circle after all these years out of India :wink: