1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A Journey From A Victim To Survivor

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by DDream, Oct 17, 2017.

1. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

I recently came across an article on the journey of Samra zafer from a victim to survivor. It is an inspiring story of a woman who realized the strength she have inside herself. A motivation for all women who silently suffer in abusive marriages. It also emphasizes how education and financial independence help a women to face the harsh realities of life and to eventually became a winner.

I was forced to marry a stranger when I was 16. Ten years later, I made my escape

I thought how lucky I am after reading this story. It teaches us again, if there is a will, there is a way.

( IL_admin, please change the section if it wont fit in here, Thanks)

Joyoflife and Rihana like this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Inspiring story, and an example of a woman using resources around her to turn her life around.

Her (ex) husband would do to any woman what he did to her. Her parents did to their own daughter what they did to her. The first time she became a victim was when her parents forced her into marriage at 17. Against her wishes and in spite of her begging by sitting at the foot of her mother's bed and crying for weeks pleading not to be forced into the marriage. The guy at least gave her Canadian citizenship and an unwitting path to a University degree.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    Nonya, Joyoflife, SGBV and 2 others like this.
  3. blueFlower

blueFlower New IL'ite

Very inspiring story to all women out there who are struggling in their lifes because of marriage. I wish she had put the pics of her ex-husband as well in social media and brought him all the shame. what a monster her ex and his shameless parents. I don't understand why god doesn't punish these dogs in the highest degree ever. Since childhood we are told that god will punish those who are bad, but these people just make me question the phrase told by our parents.

DDream likes this.
  4. DDream

Yeah @Rihana , Her parents actually abused her by forcing her to marriage at 16 y. Unfortunately similar marriages happens even now due to social pressure and religious beliefs etc. One reason may be that they want a girl who dont have any voice so that they can modify her to their demands and make them fully dependent on them. There is no escape path for a girl with no education or financial Independence at 16 y. So they tolerate everything. The girl in this story found a path because of her strong will plus, the fact that she was in Canada. If she was in her or her husband's home country, her life would have been different, I believe.

@blueFlower, yeah , even her relationship with her husband is spoiled by the arrival of PILS. How can a woman to do these to another woman. Also I am sure her husbands and PILs will do the same to any other women. But they didnt know that they are with women with strong will and determination. It is an inspiring story.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  5. Emarald

Emarald Silver IL'ite

She would have been escaped sooner if she knew about family planning. Ladies please educate all young girls around you about family planning. In our society this subject is still taboo and still many educated girls are unaware that in one second their life can change. Many women are trapped in bad marriages because of kids. They cannot get out of home and work in spite of education, work experience because they have small kids.

6. zeppelingirl

zeppelingirl Silver IL'ite

Her husband became cruel only after her MIL's visit to Canada. May be she poisoned his mind. MIL should be the one arrested first.

7. DDream

Yeah .. It might have helped. But..do you think men will go for this just after wedding.
    You are right that many women are trapped because of kids. They sacrifice their life to create a family for kids. What other options one have ?

zeppelingirl likes this.
  8. DDream

I thought the same. But it is the responsibility of husband to protect wife. He is a spineless man. They abuse women with the hope that they will never leave them because of kids

zeppelingirl and SunPa like this.
  9. Joyoflife

Joyoflife Gold IL'ite

Do not give this story the petty name of mil and dil fight. This is a story of awakening the fire within, a story of enormous courage, when every one ditched this woman starting from the ones who gave birth to her, her inner self supported her, guided her and nourished her. No wonder God helps those, who help themselves. How do you expect her mil to be nice to her when her own mother pushed her into the unknown against her wishes.

Rihana likes this.
  10. zeppelingirl

zeppelingirl Silver IL'ite

Only after her MILs visit she was forced to sleep in a small room alone. I dunno where her husband slept those days? She never said that she fought with her MIL over something anywhere in the story. Her husband was the one who mistreated her. But everything started only after her MILs visit, which means she played a very big role in it.

I don't think a good MIL who cares about his son's life, see them sleeping in separate rooms because of their visit.

And it is not necessary that her MIL should also treat her the same like her mom. She deserves to be happy wherever she goes.

And her mother didn't know what kind of family she was going to get married before the wedding. After that also she didn't have her husband's support to take care of a divorced daughter along with 2 unmarried daughters.

If MIL can't be of any help to her, atleast she should have let them live in peace.

I don't support her mother here, atleast she has got her reasons. But MIL had none.