1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mirror Never Lies

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by Akanksha1982, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Hello all, after a long time, trying to write a story. This time the genre is Drama. A bit tough for me. Hope it turns out to be ok. The earlier ones Valentine Day was a thriller, Jai Hind was romance and Who are you? was horror.

Manojs likes this.

2. Akanksha1982

Part I

Clad in a two piece bikini, Shweta dived into the swimming pool. Ajay was swimming in the next lane. There were no other swimmers. Both of them were swimming in freestyle. As they were swimming, they noticed each other’s presence and started swimming faster as if they were racing each other – an innate trait for both. Ajay was a school champion in high school while Shweta was a state champion in India. In some laps, Shweta was ahead while in some Ajay was ahead. After completing her 10th roundtrip lap, Shweta sat on the edge of the cantilevered deck of the pool. Her heart was pounding fast and her nose was inhaling and exhaling even faster. Ajay completed his lap and stood floating in his lane. Both glanced at each other.

“Wow! You swim beautifully and fast” Ajay said breathing heavily.

“Thanks. You also swim very well.” Shweta said looking at Ajay as he pulled himself up and sat on the edge. She noticed his broad shoulders with sparsely populated hirsute on his torso and converging into his flat abs. Ajay was tall, fair and attractive with short curly hair.

“I am Ajay” He said extending his hand.

“I am Shweta”. Shweta replied shaking his hand with her hand. Ajay glanced at Shweta. True to her name, she was fair. She had an athlete build with hard muscular lines and a flat tummy.

“I am happy that they have a nice indoor pool here. I just love water.” Ajay continued.

“Yes, I also love water. I feel refreshed and energetic once I swim.” Shweta said looking deep into the pool, admiring the azure tint of its water.

“You know a coffee after a nice swim tastes wonderful. Would you like to join me for a coffee?” Ajay asked.

“Sure. I was planning to go for a coffee anyway.”

Both went to take shower into their respective washrooms and came out with changed clothes. Shweta had worn a white Capri with a pink top. Water was still dripping from her open hair. Ajay had worn a Tee and Jeans. Both went towards the coffee area on the top deck of the Grand Princess Cruise liner. Both got a strong Cappuccino coffee and sat on the chairs. The Grand Princess was sailing quietly into the ocean towards Ensenada in Mexico. The ocean was quiet. The full moon had lighted the top deck of the cruise liner, while a few bamboo Tiki-Style Torches lit up the local space.

“Have you come with your family?” Ajay asked.

“I have come with my husband. What about you?”

“I have come with my wife. Where’s your husband?” Ajay asked.

“He has gone to see the opera show, The Nutcracker” gritted Shweta. She turned her face looking at the dark sky above the bow of the ship. Her gaunt and melancholy stare was hard to miss.

“Interesting, my wife also has gone to see the show. She is into reading novels, watching movies, and seeing opera plays.” Ajay said.

“Yes. He too likes all those activities. I am more of an outdoor person. I like hiking, biking, swimming, etc.”

“Oh you are like me then. I am also an outdoor person.” Ajay couldn’t believe meeting a girl who shares the same interest as him. Trying to persuade his wife, Kavitha, to participate with him had proved futile till now.

“Where are you from?” Shweta asked, turning her face towards Ajay. She was happy to hear the interests of Ajay. Her husband, Raghu, always gave cold shoulder to her interests and was always busy with his books, newspapers, and watching movies.

“I am from San Francisco. Where are you guys from?”

“We live in Orlando.” Shweta said sipping her hot coffee. A prevailing short silence was broken by a cold gust. Shweta shivered in her partly wet body. Ajay was observing her.

“Shall we go inside?” Ajay asked.

“No. I am fine. What do you do for work?” Shweta asked as she glug down half her coffee to feel warm.

“I am a software engineer. What about you?”

“What a coincidence. I am also a software engineer.” Shweta said with a glowing smile.

“I just can’t believe this. I develop in Java” Ajay said as he gulped his remaining coffee.

“Sorry Ajay, here we part. I develop in C#”.

“Hey! Java is hundred times better than C#. You develop on one platform and can run anywhere.”

“Try what you want; you will not be able to convince me.” Shweta responded with a definite look as she finished her coffee.

“It was nice meeting you. I am sure we will meet again during the formal dinner.” Ajay said.

“Yes. It was a pleasure to meet you.” Shweta said and they parted towards their ocean view staterooms.

Meanwhile in the opera theatre.

“Is this seat taken?” Kavitha asked Raghu as she found an empty seat next to Raghu.

“No. Go ahead.” Raghu replied moving his hand away from the arm rest.

The show had not started yet. The hall was full and Kavitha was happy that she managed to find a seat.

“Have you seen this ballet before?” Raghu asked Kavitha

“No. I haven’t but I have read the story by Hoffman. I have heard that this ballet is very good. I wanted to see it from the moment we thought of taking this cruise.”

“Oh! I can swap the seat with your husband so that you can sit together.” Raghu said as he saw the Thaali that Kavitha was wearing.

“No. he is busy with his activities and has not joined me. He is not into books, plays or ballets.”

“Interesting. My wife also is not interested in plays or books. She is more of an outdoor person. By the way, I am Raghu.”

“Nice meeting you. I am Kavitha.” Kavitha said with a smile andextended her hand.

“Where are you from?” Raghu asked while shaking her hand.

“I am from San Francisco. Where are you guys from?”

“We live in Orlando. Can you please keep my seat? I will be back in a few minutes.” Raghu said as he stood up and walked out of the aisle.

Raghu returned with two bags of popcorn and forwarded one bag to Kavitha.

“No. Thanks. I am fine.”

“No. No. I got this one for you. Please have it. I will feel bad nibbling it alone.” Raghu said pushing the bag in Kavitha’s lap.

“Thanks Raghu. I love popcorns and can’t resist the smell of it”

“I too love popcorns and I don’t like to share it so I got one from you.” Raghu said laughing and Kavitha joined him in the laugh.

The show started. Both watched the show with interest. All during the show, Kavitha whispered the story in Raghu’s ear, “Oh that’s Marie’s grandfather”, “That’s the seven-head mouse king”, “That’s Pirlipat’s mother” and so on.

Both clapped as the show ended.

“It was done very beautifully.” Raghu said.

“Yes. It is played every year at the San Francisco Symphony. It is one of the most popular shows.”

“Great. It was nice meeting you. Hope we will meet later.” Raghu said.

“Yes. I also enjoyed. And thanks for the popcorn. We will definitely meet. Bye.”

3. meepre

meepre Gold IL'ite

Wow really a very nice start. The beginning itself caught my interest. Interesting title. Just can't wait to read more episodes... Please keep posting lengthier episodes (being jealous).

4. Akanksha1982

Thanks Meepre for your feedback. Drama is a bit difficult for me. I have been thinking about it for months. Hope it turns out well.

5. Rampuri9

Rampuri9 Silver IL'ite

Nice to see you back with another story akanksha :)

The story is very interesting..

6. 28neha

28neha Platinum IL'ite

Wow Aks Welcome Back ..:) first episode its self is very interesting waiting for more.

“I have come with my husband. What about you?”when i read this line my reaction was :persevere:

“I have come with my wife. Where’s your husband?”
    when i read this line my reaction was:laughing::laughing:

waiting eagerly for next :)

7. leenarajaryan

leenarajaryan Silver IL'ite

Lovely Akanksha..... seems some new interesting concept haan.. Would love this tooo.... I am pretty sure..

8. curiousgals78

curiousgals78 Gold IL'ite

Hi Akanksha,
    great start to the new story. i read all your other stories. just love your naarration. looking forward to this story

9. Deepu04

Deepu04 IL Hall of Fame

Hi aks, wonderful start... Great to see you back dear... Eagerly waiting for the next posts...

10. peddadas

peddadas Platinum IL'ite

My wait is over now ...
    A great come back Aks..
    I wonder how do you even get the genre /concept :flushed:..but definitely a treat to my eyes .. Sensing some Chris Cross..
    Thanks for one more story ..
    Good luck with your work.
    PS