1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Yashodhara

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Cheeniya, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The Book 'The Buddha's Wife', written by Janet Surrey and Samuel Shem deals with the life of Yashodhara, wife of Prince Siddharta, before he became the Buddha. The book describes her life with her husband, her family and all the nuns after her conversion with elegance and compassion.It describes a new path of bringing happiness in relationships.

How did Yashodhara emerge from the pain and humiliation of the abandoned grieving wife to become part of a strong, vital community of women who persisted after the Buddha refused to let them join the community?What spiritual conditions were present before they 'went forth together' to go into a holy life?How did the spiritual transformation occur for Yashodhara? How did her spiritual awakening help her to sustain and nurture her son Rahul?

The whole thing is beautifully summed up in the words of Prajapathi, the confidant of Yashodara:
    "The Buddha achieved freedom by learning, by going forth alone, and then bringing others along. Our path was in staying, in learning to be with each other more and more deeply and then going forth together. It is the Path of She Who Stays, the Path in Right Relations. It portends learning to live together"

And then, when Yashodhara finds herself in never-ending grief, Prajapathi advises her, " The only thing in your mind is your grief, circling and circling without end. You are obsessed with it. Any obsession is a turning away from the act of living, from life itself. The only way out of it is through being in relationship with others. Just listen and take in what the other person is saying and feeling and being. And you don't need to do or say a thing. Silence your own mind and receive theirs"

The book, 'The Buddha's Wife' is in two parts. The first deals with the story of Yashodhara and the second a number of practical true life examples and ways to apply and live the wisdom of Yashodhara's path in our modern-day lives.I have enjoyed reading this book. It focuses on my own call for love and compassion with a more direct, practical and personal approach.

sindmani, kaniths, Laxmi and 6 others like this.

2. padma0604

padma0604 Silver IL'ite

Cheeniya Sir,

Very nice introduction. So much is written about The Buddha and so less about what happened to Yasodhara and how she lived. To have a book that looks at her life is indeed very interesting.

Recently someone was mentioning about this book and now this introduction. What makes it more interesting is what you said about the book : "The book, 'The Buddha's Wife' is in two parts. The first deals with the story of Yashodhara and the second a number of practical true life examples and ways to apply and live the wisdom of Yashodhara's path in our modern-day lives.I have enjoyed reading this book. It focuses on my own call for love and compassion with a more direct, practical and personal approach."

Sometime soon I will try to read this book.

Sairindhri and Cheeniya like this.
  3. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

Voila! There's a kindle edition.
    Have added to my wishlist. That is a compelling review esp. from someone whom I've never seen write a book review in IL. Is this the beginning, the last or you-never-know of Cheeniya's entry into Book Review Club?

kaniths and vaidehi71 like this.