1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Marriage Counselling: Thumbs Up Or Down? Questions?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Bbgy, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Bbgy

Bbgy Senior IL'ite

So curious to know, what is your take on approaching a counsellor for relationship/marriage dilemmas? Thumbs up or down?
    And do you have questions that you think are more appropriate for a counsellor than family or friends, who might get too concerned or judgmental to give the right advice? What are some of these questions?

2. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

hey, am not sure about a counselor. I have never been to visit one whenever i had any issues. The idea of opening up to an entirely new person who has no idea about me or doesn't know anything about me was a little uncomfortable for me.

I did however share my issues with my close friends who were fortunately good enough in pointing out my mistakes as well when i went wrong.

I feel everything depends on who you are comfortable with at the end of the day. If you feel your friends might be partial or judgmental then maybe a counselor is a better option.

bruised234 and Bbgy like this.
  3. Bbgy

Bbgy Senior IL'ite

Yeah that makes sense. Opening up to a complete stranger with personal issues might be weird. Was curious to know, thanks for responding :)

4. monkatpeace87

monkatpeace87 Silver IL'ite

The idea of going to a counsellor is talking to a non judgemental person and seeing ur views through a different angle. It's just like when u are standing in a front of a mirror, ur left hand is the images right. The counsellor will make u see this that there is no point of argument.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2016
    Bbgy and Sairindhri like this.
  5. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Choose a qualified, professional counsellor and it would be excellent. The person being a stranger means one has no pressure to act a particular way.

A counsellor is NOT an advisor- a lot of people do not seem to inderstand this! A cousellor would help the person hone a strategy to face their problems. The counsellor would only be an enabler to help the person work out how to solve the problem in an acceptable manner. The strategy that one person might follow won't be right for someone else.

Going to a counsellor is excellent provided one has chosen a good one.

blossomingbud, bruised234 and Bbgy like this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What's the difference between counselor and advisor? What does an advisor do that a counselor does not do?

7. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Hello Ri!

I don't know if there are professional advisors - I should hope not! Advisors are well-meaning family/ friends/ religious figures/ you and I, here who suggest a solution to problems.

A counsellor, at least the brilliant one I went to, and a few others I've heard about do not offer suggestions. They listen. They prod. They give some much needed validation. Mine would repeatedly ask what I thought I should do. What other choices I thought I had. Helped my structure my thoughts and brain storm. Finally helped arrive at a strategy to take action when I was ready. Then supported me when I chickened out and decided to do something else completely. Essentially helped sift through thoughts -even insane ones- without judgement.

8. Bbgy

Bbgy Senior IL'ite

This is great insight into the process, guesshoo. Thanks a ton!

Rihana likes this.
  9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Interesting. I thought counselors will also provide some strategies of their own, something to help the couple communicate more effectively.

What about cases where the woman is not like you (or me). You know what I mean. What if the woman needs fresh ideas, not just help sifting/sorting through her own ideas and thoughts about her choices?

The concept of a "without judgement" counselor makes some sense, but I thought they are trained to provide some ideas and strategies that their clients are not able to think of.

I don't know for sure.. but I would think it is a bit of a waste of my money (and time), if the counselor is only reorganizing my own thoughts, massaging the strategies I myself have come up with, offering a fresh, neutral perspective, but not fresh thoughts/ideas/suggestions/ strategy.

Bbgy likes this.
  10. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Which is why it's not usually a case of 'one counselor fits all'. It can often take a few tries to find someone who meshes with your needs and personality. The right person can be a tremendous help, but the flip side is often true as well.

Bbgy, madras2018 and Rihana like this.