1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bundles Of Pain

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by vaikhari, Apr 30, 2016.

1. vaikhari

vaikhari Gold IL'ite

Of course, they are the immediate results of our efforts and dedication. Yet, after the first few are done, they just become bundles of pain. Any guesses what I am talking about?

Answer scripts meant for evaluations! The fatter the bundle, the more painful they become. Yeah, I do love it to read what my dear students write, the poor kids who spare their precious sleep time and talk time to produce those long long answer scripts. But does the love last?

Evaluating a language/literature paper can be both a joy and a pain. It’s a joy to read the creative ones and neatly hand crafted ones, but all those shoddy written papers, in a language which looks or reads anything like the one intended, God! they feel like multiple calculi in my thoughts, blocking the free flow of those digestive juices which break down thoughts.

But yeah, the students can’t be blamed for producing those bundles of pain; inefficient, thoughtless, course co-ordinators and an even more inefficient education system are to be blamed on the first place. While language classrooms in colleges should be designed on the basis of the levels of students, it is a pity to club L1 or first level learners with those having bilingual proficiency together and make it a hell on earth. It helps very little in helping either the L1 learners or the other extreme. As a language teacher, I can’t appreciate this system at all.

I am not a language trainer who works and gets paid for fixed hours, but an academician, who would like to see holistic development in my students and not mere immediate results like clearing an examination. A corporate executive (once a teacher herself), who came to demonstrate a less than mediocre language learning software of her company, quite blatantly said “Of all language learning aids, teahcers/academicians are the least helpful, trainers somewhat better and software tools the best”! (Aside: When I blinked my eyes and wondered and wandered at her statement, she quite snobbishly asked me whether I couldn’t follow the demo, when my technical skills are way better than hers and honestly I am a quick learner). I haven’t done a research on what is the best method and aid for students of language. But the dear lady, I hear quit the company as she was not getting paid enough, while I know many teachers/academicians who work sincerely for meager amounts and even those that are better off in terms of monetary benefits, don’t anyway get paid like an IT professional or an investment banker despite having all kinds of degrees, diplomas, certifications and publications. And as another executive observed, “in our offices, you hardly have to worry about refreshments during peak hours, you have office boys to get you that, while in these academic institutions, you have to hunt for cafeterias or canteens and get everything yourself, even when lost in work”. True, being an academician is not easy.

Now coming back to my bundles of pain, as I said earlier, there needs to a true vision when it comes to “teaching” language. Can language be taught? Yes, of course it can be, but like any other domain, it needs to be constantly used and used in the way it should be used and not just stop with teaching and learning. A student of mine couldn’t just take it, when I mentioned languages evolve over time. He just rubbished off the evolution as a negligible one. Of course, languages do not and must not evolve like mobile phones or mobile apps or technology and become unrecognizable or obsolete overnight. But evolve they do with the socio-cultural and technological changes of an era and that’s why language courses too need to be revamped from time to time. When that doesn’t happen because of the ego and thoughtlessness of some academicians, there is chaos and the end result is simply miserable. Again when due focus is not given to the four skills of LSRW and when language and communication papers are fused into one, crammed with a little of everything, and tests and examinations are kept mandatory every month of the year, what you get are bundles of pain. Obviously too many questions spoil the answer.

2. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

Hello,

Can I pinch you? Are you for real?
    Just a quick pinch like that Apple's finger gesture, won't hurt you.

I will catch up with you later as I'm gutted now, with the predicament of that lost passenger on the station who, having missed the last train, is eagerly waiting for the next one to arrive early tomorrow to nominate this post. @Cheeniya make a note. This is going in tomorrow with a banner, fireworks and carny music.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Vaikhari,

It is an excellent snippet depicting the pain an academician go through sorting out the difference between holistic approach to learning vs present educational system that is depleted with processes that are obsolete. The title "Bundle of pain" attracted my attention to read your snippet.

You reminded me of the discussions I had with a head of a school system here in the US about emphatic learning processes that are effective, solution driven, student focused, developing individual talents, team work, high-quality deliverables as opposed to producing standardized results bench marked with unsustainable non-evolving educational system.

This system required not only the students to do self-paced learning through the help of electronic media based curriculum but also emphasized on building/updating knowledge on the subjects/languages, training and development and teaching skills for the teachers.

This system proposed the following steps:

Streamlining the creation of standards for each level of education that evolves constantly

Developing a methodology that would perform a need assessment for the students and measure the gap between their current level of knowledge and standards

Strengthening the teaching skills of the teachers with more emphasis on understanding the student needs and teaching skills as opposed to subject matter expertise

Preparing customized packages to achieve a credit at each sub-level of education with significant focus on creativity

Creating a Knowledge Management Warehouse with real-time update for measuring each student’s performance against the standards

Developing “best practices” common methodologies to leverage them across all subjects in a consistent and efficient manner

Providing real time more accurate, timely, and relevant information for managing the students’ needs and performance

Creating a continuous improvement environment through the implementation of “measure your knowledge yourself” self assessment tests

Increasing the effectiveness of education through access to “Knowledge 24/7” so that students can learn both in school as well as outside the school

Most importantly provide opportunity to the students to be extremely creative in developing their skills.

It felt like a nice breeze gently comforting me when I read your snippet.

Viswa

4. vaikhari

vaikhari Gold IL'ite

Hello Viswa sir, Cimorene and all others,
    Thank you so much for the likes and comments. Will reply in detail later.
    My bundles of joy, ooops pain☺are crying for my attention, can't keep them waiting.
    Until then its Bye from Vai☺

5. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Good thought provoking snippet. Well written aspects on teaching/learning and finally evaluating bundles of pain. A students overall development in language learning will make the teacher happy in evaluating their assessment and not result in bundles of pain. It was nice to read your views on this.

Software tools combined with teacher approach can help in speeding up the process of language learning but can never replace a teachers role in the classroom. There are many successful products that facilitate and enhance student learning through adaptive methods and personalized instruction. These tools can empower the teachers predicting student success.

I am no subject matter expert but I believe the whole system should change in providing efficient methodologies of teaching a language from elementary education. With passionate teachers I am sure these bundles of pain will turn into bundles of joy sooner or later.

6. Poetlatha

Poetlatha Platinum IL'ite

Wonderful snippet Vai! Viswa Sir and jskls's feedback has it all. I do not have anything to add. Sorry. But our system of teaching should be modified from young age or elementary school method. Modification in method, content, creativity, conversational and practical presentations, etc.

@Viswamitra : Viswa sir is there any topic in the world that can go untouched by you, I envy your knowledge and wisdom. Just kidding, I truly admire them and thanks for sharing, as always.

vaikhari likes this.
  7. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Vaikhari
    First a hearty welcome to Snippets of Life! And off to the Finest Posts Forum where this post has been nominated by Viji and Cimorene for a more detailed response. See you there if you can find your way!
    Sri

vaikhari and iyerviji like this.
  8. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

The methodologies are always ideal and framed by academicians always assuming the ideal situations.They look fine.But implementation has to be done by teachers and students.
    As a result of the multi-cultural classroom in the 21st century, language educators face new challenges; for example, young learners and those with language-based difficulties. In order to respond to these evolving needs, a new professional approach that combines theoretical knowledge with practical application is proposed. This approach envisages that teachers should know about literacy acquisition in at least two languages - a mother tongue and the language to be taught.

The teacher's knowledge and research tools on one hand and the ability to cope up with a multifaced classroom on the other hand.
    Many teachers,though highly knowledgible are unable to impart what they know.Individuals choosing teaching line ,without any aptitude for the same can have only bundle of pain for ever.
    Success of a good teacher lies identifying the errors committed by the students, relate the same with his/her skills of imparting, do an unprejudiced evaluation of oneself.The answer papers of the students in fact ,whether bundles of pleasure/pain do reflect more of a teacher than the student.
    Some students are smart enough and grasp quickly.Some are slow learners.Some are sensitive .Some are afraid of evaluations,though they are not that bad.

Language teaching is associated with so many aspects other than sharing mere information as in science subjects.It deals with culture, sentiments, emotions and expressions.Many teachers who can take other subjects very well cannot handle language classes.

My father was an English teacher from 1910 to 1980-a long period of 70 years.His students consisted of both the brilliant I. C. S. cadres of those days and sons of village farmers without any any educational background.He was equally proud of both the categories.The progress of a mediocre student was relatively placed at a higher percentage than that of the brilliant ones.With the mediocre set his observation was they had too long silence periods.
    The silence period in language learning is the space given to any student of a new language.
    During the period, the students simply listen, they are extremely silent, hesitate to express, read or write.
    Smarter ones come out early from the incubation period and settle down while others do have a longer period of silence to come to terms.
    Success of a teacher lies not in making a bright student top the Board exam but make the other category rise to their optimum level.
    Evaluation of exam papers is literally an evaluation of a teacher rather than of the student.

Formulation of an ideal scheme is purely theoretical and can be done by good academicians with a bombastic expression.Real implementation lies with actual players on field-the teacher and the taught.
    Paper gourds can't make a curry.
    Jayasala 42

9. vaikhari

vaikhari Gold IL'ite

@Viswamitra Thank you so much Sir for you sincere feedback and practical suggestions. You are right sir, each student is special and the purpose is served only when small target groups are chosen.

"It felt like a nice breeze gently comforting me when I read your snippet".
    I wrote it with the gentle breeze stroking me through the open window, so am glad I could let it flow freely to IL site too:)

sindmani and Viswamitra like this.
  10. vaikhari

vaikhari Gold IL'ite

THANK YOU sir for the invite to the Finest Post Forum.

PushpavalliSrinivasan likes this.