1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Just like any other day, with lessons experienced!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by meril, Mar 26, 2016.

1. meril

meril Gold IL'ite

Just like any other day, with lessons experienced!

Have you come across a day where nothing seemed to be working as planned and it just seems to be so unfair? - A day where you just get all lazy and all you want to do is crumble up on your bed with a blanket. Well, I do get those kind of days, once in awhile or maybe too many.

This is about a day like that; being in my room on my bed the whole day was doing me no good but made me a little grubby instead. So I decided to go for a walk, just like any another day.

I pulled out my favorite pair of blue jeans; tee-shirt and a jacket to stay warm while the cold breeze blew to prove its presence.

There I was ready and headed towards a different path this day, not that I was a pretend Robert Frost nor was there a great scenario on the path chosen.

A flock of birds feeding on some leftovers drew my attention for a while, “I should have taken my camera”- a thought crossed my mind. I decided to grab my camera which was left untouched for a long while.

I creeped back home, took my camera and was back with the birds in no time.

I tried moving inch by inch not to disturb their meal and sat down, an attempt to reach their eye level. Kept my right foot a step ahead of my left, what is the harm in adopting a professional's’ style? After a few out of focus photos, corrected the exposure to try again.

A fearless bird came close enough for a good shot, while I looked through the viewfinder with a determination to make the best out the opportunity. Bruuuzzzzzz… all of them flies off at the noise at the construction site nearby. *click*..*click*…*click* I got some shots of them flying away.

Lessons learnt through experience

1st lesson of the day: You may not get what you focus for, but make the best of out what you get.

The birds have flown away, what do I photograph now?, I questioned myself and walked aimlessly.

My neighborhood didn’t contain anything eye catching till date, the passersby kept staring at me walking around with a camera. My present mood would have made me stop, stare and ask “What’s with you?-but I decided to ignore and kept walking.

My walk slowed down to a little Asian girl, with dark brown silky hair aged not more than 4, she hadn’t noticed me and continued blowing out bubbles from a little bottle. It brought smiles on my face, her pleasant face, the innocence and carefree attitude. She played being unnoticed by the world around her. I craved for a little conversation and a picture of the girl, while I notice an old lady sitting on a pavement waiting for her granddaughter (I assume).

I sat next to the lady with a hidden intention, -a picture of the little girl. The lady looked really tired and fragile. I asked the little girl her name in the lady's presence. The little girl hesitated and looked at her grandma, say your name she promoted.

The little girl smiled before she answered “Melissa”. “Oh, that is a lovely name”, I said. There was no expected happiness on their face for the positive comment. The little girl kept playing; the sight of the girl playing with bubbles would make a great picture, before seeking the grandma’s permission. I thought to be more acquaintance with her.

“Where do you stay?”-was my next question to the lady. This apartment she said as she pointed to the closest apartment. “Oh, alright I stay close by” I said without being asked. The poor lady heard me wrong and was excited for a millisecond. Oh, you stay in the same apartment? The excitement disappeared as I corrected her; I wonder what made her excited. She didn’t seem interested in further conversation, she looked worried and disturbed, sharing her troubles to an acquaintance (Am I there yet?) wouldn’t be something she liked to, hence I didn’t ask.

I slowly stood up to leave keeping my request to myself, I kept walking, and focusing at everything I saw till something interested me. I turned back in a minute to see no trace of the lady or the girl. Was that a dream? Did I scare them away? Maybe the lady wasn’t happy with my camera. Come on, I meant no harm. Would she allow me to click a snap or two if I ever asked?

2nd lesson of the day: If you don’t ask the answer is always “NO”

I took few shots of a car focusing on the rims of the wheels; there was something which interested me there. Unsatisfied with the outcome, I walked towards a generator room; the door was locked with huge pan locks ensuring no trespassers. The door was after two steps, I wanted the steps and the door in a tight frame. I leaned on the car which was my object a couple of minutes ago.

I clicked, viewed the picture, worked on the corrections again and again. Zoomed in and out and tried again. Viewing the captured image and zooming in to find any noticeable corrections, and repeating the same for a while now.

“Did you get what you are looking for?”

I was startled at the unexpected voice, turned around to see a guy with a bright smile. I kept looking at him in order to recognize the face. My brains scanned the entire database and gave me no answer. He was unfamiliar to me I concluded, by then the smile started fading off his face. He might have regretted asking.

“Oh well, not really”, I said waking myself from a sleep, and taking a look at the picture once again.

“You basically want a picture of the door right? Why don’t you trying standing here?, he said, pointing at a different spot. I hesitated for a second before following his advice.

I clicked a picture, smiled and said “Yeah” seeming quite happy with the outcome. Not even a handshake or self-introduction took place. With no more talks the guy/gentleman smiles and walks away, waving a salute. It was surprising to find someone free to spend some time correcting a stranger in the busy world.

3rd lesson of the day: Consider different views, it may make a difference.

Everyone is busy working on their track records, take a break,-if a smile, a soft look, an advice, an appreciation, a pat on the shoulder, a small talk, a positive gesture makes a difference, why not! You may be unaware of how happy or positive someone may feel in your presence, make an impact it would sure reflect back someday!

Do good, spread the positivity!

Good day!! :)

2. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Thats nice to read Meril. Thanks for sharing your positivity. You could have uploaded the pictures you took. Nicely Presented.

Amica likes this.
  3. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

OP,
    you can count yourself really lucky you came back home without running into problems. In today's world with its privacy concerns, walking around with a camera, openly wanting to take pictures of strangers and their private property without so much as introducing yourself, or stating your intent even when invited to do so by the homeowner in a friendly non threatening way...wow! There is a reason why the old woman was so uneasy and why the homeowner showed up - reasons to which you were happily oblivious and lost in your own world. You got lucky op that the homeowner decided you were probably harmless and let you go-- in my town people are told to call 311 if they see random people walking around taking pictures of their homes without giving a reason.
    You forgot lesson number 1 and 2: the most important ones - 1. you dodged a big trouble in your innocence this time and 2. never do this again! You may not be so lucky next time esp if you run into a paranoid or trigger happy homeowner -there are plenty of those around. Just be careful. Next time go into the woods with your camera or limit yourself to flowers or birds!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    MalStrom, Amica and shobhamma like this.
  4. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

Lovely snippet...totally agree, smile on a face and a positive mindset is all we need to live that moment.

5. meril

meril Gold IL'ite

Me being an amature photographer, the photos didn't turn out to be good!
    Thank you for spreading the positivity by dropping in your feedback.. :) :)

jskls likes this.
  6. shobhamma

shobhamma Gold IL'ite

Nice to see you so positive!
    The warning from @1Sandhya is also not totally wrong. But as long as you are in a decent neighborhood, things should be fine. You should not take unnecessary chances but you cannot go through life cooped up too.

7. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Yes be aware of your surroundings too as Sandhya mentioned. Venture safely too!

8. meril

meril Gold IL'ite

Thanks Sandhya for enlightening me of the possible problems I could have encountered! Will watch out and be more cautious next time. The lady wasn't found inside the premises of her privately owned house, it is a common premise to the neighbours or else they would have definitely called 311! I wonder if I would have ever got a chance to share the story in that case, or what did the climax of the story be like! Yikes the thought kind of scare me.. hehe!!

Same goes to the so called generator room, it's a common property to the neighbour and the guy was a passerby like me without a camera that is! I will surely make a note of the lessons you have pinpointed while I take my camera out in the presence of strangers!

Thanks for your feedback, I shall be careful next time!

iman likes this.
  9. meril

meril Gold IL'ite

Dear Lavii,

Nice to know that you have loved the snippet! Thanks for dropping in your feedback! :)

10. meril

meril Gold IL'ite

Thank you Shobhamma..
    It is always cheerful to see a feedback for a thread posted and when it happens to be a positive comment, the joy increases. Yeah, I have taken @1Sandhya's warning quite seriously! :)

I shall venture safely next time. It was very thoughtful of Sandhya to warn me about the dangers, thanks once again!

kaniths and jskls like this.