1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Some random thoughts!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

[justify]I look at my plants, indoors ones. Not the regular indoor ones but the out door ones that have been brought inside for winter and can't help but smile. This is the first year they seem to be thriving and my MIL's plant is even flowering, 3 flowers a day! If you are wondering about MIL's plant, well I have this habit of keeping a plant that my loved ones who have passed on, loved and everyday as I water them or pick flowers, I pause to smile thinking of them. Crazy no? But it has helped me over the years. So as I look at the three flowers, I tell my husband hurrying out for the day "Look your mom is blessing us! The plant has never flowered in winters!" for the nth time looking out of the window. The day looks bright and sunny and I wonder about the emails that I received about the cold temperatures.

As I continue to look out the window I wonder if my choice of staying indoors instead of running is a wise choice. Not running is never a wise choice only because one always comes back feeling, "I am glad I came out to run". You know it is kind of doing a good deed. One never repents it. And then how many times I show up in the crazy temperatures, be it for a run or gym and always hear from the coach that "You are doing awesome. Look you showed up when every one else is still sleeping!" It is supposed to be inspiring and I don't know how I have felt hearing those words. I am mostly that personalty who does something only if she wants to. Then why do I feel the guilt today? I 'wanted' to stay home, by choice and for many reasons including wanting to sleep in. I wanted not to run!

As I walk the dog out I feel the bright sun, the white snow making it even brighter and feel the chill in the air and the ice on the ground. I am still wondering if I should have gone for the run and cannot help but tell my mind to STOP. I am trying to convince myself that it is okay. It is okay to be easy on myself and wonder as to what is it about me that I have to convince myself to let go and enjoy. Why can't I apply the same logic i.e.,it was my choice not to run and take it easy. Perhaps one of the reasons is not going will come back biting. But I will learn to cope. After all there is no agenda tied to in that running schedule for now and this year anyways!

Letting the dog play out side more, I am enjoying the day and then my mind is back to those emails again. I chickened out from the run because of the emails. They were only meant to be helpful and informative asking to layer up, chap stick handy, moisturizer on face, halls in the mouth and some more in our pockets. Now I wonder suddenly if that is the case most of the times. The fear of what is ahead is actually worse than the future itself. The emails were only doing their job of alerting us but the future reality may not turn out that way. Look at the day today. Given, it is brutally chilly but that run would have felt better in such a picture perfect day.

As my mind goes through two or three events into the future, I realize "The future may not be that bad after all!" There is always that Sun shining making it all alright and moreover how many times have I not heard that one's present defines their future. When information comes our way, it is best to take in and enjoy the decisions we make. The information like those emails is only trying to help and be alert, not asking us 'not' to look forward to the future. So I ask my higher self to help me keep that in perspective and then I come inside for a warm cup of coffee, pick those flowers and offer to God in gratitude.[/justify]

As I go through the day, I see a yoga pose aptly modified from "Warrior pose" to "worrier pose" [​IMG]I cannot help but smile about the truth. I realize that except when I am on the mat, I am constantly in this worrier pose and staying too long in any pose does hurt. Time to get out is all I tell myself again and trying to bring it to practice, at least for a minute a day!

PS: This is what happens when I miss out on a run on a cold chilly bright February morning :biggrin2:

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabitha,

There is more to it. We have an option to receive, react and respond, a three strike formula in life. What information we receive can be controlled by our mind. How we react to it is also something we need to pay a lot of attention. This is where our mind spends most time. Response is another we can make it meaningful. Once we respond, we have to learn to live with it. If it is a mistake, we need to learn out of it and move on forgiving ourselves. If it is right, we need not celebrate and gratefully acknowledge for the guidance from within.

Unfortunate part is most things in life doesn't look apparently black and white and they require significant contemplation. Many times, two solutions appear very accurate and one could take us in a wrong direction as it is originally deceptive. We have to realize that we are never a finished product and we are always a work in progress adding more and more ingredients to make it tasty and palatable.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear V sir,

Agreed! Completely. I am indeed realizing how much time I spend on reaction. Thank goodness for the nature around me, else I would have spent time in eternity there - figuring out how to respond to my own self! As long we do learn that there is no one solution and it is a work in progress, I think we are good.

Thank you for your response.

padma0604 likes this.
  4. Elphaba

Elphaba New IL'ite

Dear Saby,

You call it a 'random post' as if you've plucked arbitrary strings in a violin and surprised to hear a melody whereas I observed coordinated moves in your prose:

As I continue [...]
    As I walk [...]
    As my mind [...]
    As I go through [...]

I'm convinced this may a random impulse to write here but your feelings leached from your writing are as coherent and consistent as they always are. As I cannot see the attached image, and I have limited bandwidth only to visualize one thing in a post with this attachment snag, I will skip your worrier pose and instead imagine you smiling on seeing it.

I don't known which of these conditions caused you to keel cold, chilly, bright or feb. But I'd like to kiss that culprit because reading a post on nothing indulges me to exchange 'sweet nothings' just as randomly as catching you here today.

1 person likes this.
  5. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Srama,
    Your post is captivating as ever.In many situations we simply react and do not respond properly.The thin line of demarcation is now a days spoken ofgreatly by Personality developing groups.Some 15 years back nobody talked about these two words as often as we do.In many controversial situations,silence or lack of any reaction turns into a good response leading to success.
    Theoretically speaking receiving,reaction and response and all those wordings look highly intellectual. But when we face problems in sequence of enormous magnitude,each problem depends on the other,one requiring mere acknowledgement, 2nd requiring reaction and third requiring some response.All problems being inter related one gets confused as to what to do.All problems cannot be split into easily solvable units and it is very difficult to locate and identify the treatment each deserves.
    A thought provoking snippet.

Jayasala 42

1 person likes this.
  6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabs,

Sorry i am late for this lovely post of yours. Wow watering the plants of yr MIL. what a tribute, and what a way to remember eh ! Yes she is surely blessing u with the three flowers.

and what is wrong if once in a way we let us ourself be a kid, who disobeys and does not go for a run, but goofs off. look at me, give me any excuse and i am ready to not go for a walk, girls or no girls in the park.

HAHA

Super one.

Regards

kamal

parineetha and Srama like this.
  7. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Srama
    Some random thoughts? Your thoughts have always been random. Is there any special reason why you have decided to title your new offering as Some Random Thoughts? I would tend to think on the lines of Animalism of George Orwell that ‘all thoughts are random but some thoughts are more random than others’. I am not a horticulturist and hence would find it extremely tricky to find out which of the plants are regular indoor ones and which are the ones that belong to the great open space but have taken sojourn among the regular indoor ones on grounds of extreme weather conditions. I don’t think it will be as easy as finding the difference between an Eskimo and the pygmies of Congo.

All flowering plants are a blessing from souls that gave us all their love when they were here. When they decide to bless us, they cause the plants to flower no matter what season it is. You are very right about running. People who run with a religious fervor always end up feeling life could never be better and the lazy ones who could always find an excuse for not running end up cursing not only themselves but all those around them! When I was a young boy in the utterly middle-class locality of Triplicane, there was one Venkat uncle in my neighbourhood. He had the habit of borrowing from everyone that he knew. When my dad once questioned him about the need for such borrowing, Venkat Uncle said that that the loan sharks kept him running all the time and that was how he looked so fit and bronzed!

You are right again in saying that the fear of what is ahead is actually worse than the future itself. But many people say fear keeps you sane! They cite the oft-quoted ‘Fools rush in where angels fear to tread’ in support of their fear theory. Today I saw the headlines screaming that ‘Fear is the key to keeping Britain in the EU’. Fear is not a bad thing at all. On the contrary, it helps a lot of people to work hard and perform better.

Future is never going to be bad at all! In the evening of my life, I become privy to more and more sensational news. Recently it was about the Gravitational waves and when I think of what lies ahead of us in solving the mystery called Universe with the discovery of gravitational waves, I feel humbled. Who knows, with such sporadic feelings of humility, I could become a better man, you know!
    Sri

LakshmiKMBhat, padma0604 and Srama like this.
  8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear dear friend,

Always happy to see you here. I hope IL fixes the snag and you can see the worrier pose...the same warrior pose with a lot of thoughts in the head. I see that happening all the time.

Well I have to confess even though I skipped that run when I wrote this blog and reasons were more than I have described, I have to tell you the run following that was not bad at all. In fact I enjoyed it so much that now in retrospect I feel, it was the best decision ever to have skipped that run. See this is exactly what I meant in the post.

Thank you for your response. It means a lot and your exchange of sweet nothings means the world.

9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Agreed JS ma'm especially the part that when problems cannot be split into easily solvable units it is very difficult to isolate and react accordingly. This is what makes me wonder about the learning process. Even when we are aware, it is not easy. All we can do is to learn to cope. But introspection helps and mulling over and learning to feel detached helps too. Thank you for your valuable feedback.

1 person likes this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Kamalji,

Please no apologies. So happy to hear from you. I know right! Once in a while it is okay to skip a run. It wasn't too bad and I did okay in the next run. That little part of me which says I could have gone is hard to suppress. But I am learning to take it easy and feel good about the decisions I make at least the ones that are in my control.

Thank you for stopping by it is always a pleasure to read you.