anyone done M.ph, M.ha in usa

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by gankita, May 2, 2015.

1. gankita

gankita Silver IL'ite

Those who have done M.p.h and M.ha degree in u.s and currently working please suggest if its worth to do in terms of job. In case i move to India in future, whether these courses will be helpful.

I heard from someone that you don't get job easily after doing mph. Thats the reason i need suggestions from those who have done it. How much loan do one need to take for these courses. i am graduate in Science from India.

I am SAHM , have 4 yr old kid, he will be joining school soon and my dh has very busy job schedule. There are not many indians. I wanted to keep myself busy and need to build my confidence which i have lost after coming to U.S and staying alone here for so long.
    thanks

2. gankita

gankita Silver IL'ite

no one has done masters degree here?:cry:

3. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

@gankita, you need to think about this carefully. The first thing you need to clarify is whether you did a 3 or 4-year degree from India. I have been away from India for a long time, so I do not understand what a 'Graduate in Science' means. Is that some sort of a 'general science' degree? Or did you have a major in a specific scientific subject?

Now, if you have a 3-year bachelor's degree from India, most universities (maybe not all?) may require that you complete some pre-requisites to bring your qualifications up to that of a US 4-year degree. There are agencies that compare degrees obtained in different countries and certify 'equivalency' with US degrees for admission into graduate programs here - like this one. Universities may specify which agency you must use, so the link is simply an example.

As I see it, you need to do two things first:

(1) Contact universities near you (or, if you are interested in online programs, then contact those) to establish whether you are eligible for admission. This should not cost you anything. It will only involve conversations with advisors for prospective students. If you manage the conversation effectively, they will not turn you away. They will tell you how to bring up your qualifications to par, listing prerequisites you need to complete. That will give you a better idea of time and cost. Note that requirements vary from one university to another. Sometimes they may even waive the requirements. So do talk to more than one.

(2) If I understand you correctly, you are planning on returning to India and hence are wondering whether the degree will be useful there. The best way to estimate this is to talk to people employed in the sort of positions you want and get their input. This is very important to do. For example, in an MHA program, the courses covering legal and ethical aspects or health insurance may be very specific to the US. They may not serve you well in India. I hope you can see what I'm saying. If not, you can post more questions.

Many universities have tuition benefits for employees. If your visa status and other constraints allow it, you might consider trying for a job at a uni close to you. That will considerably mitigate the cost of getting a degree. I know that a child makes things very complicated, so think of this as just a suggestion.

You might also consider moving to an area where you have people around you that you can relate to. Surely your husband would be willing to consider that? That bit about 'staying alone here for so long' sounds so sad! Do talk to him and try to engineer your surroundings in a manner that nourishes your spirit!

Good Luck!

:cheers

4. gankita

gankita Silver IL'ite

@Sokanasanah - thanks a lot for taking time to reply.
    I highly Appreciate it.
    I am mainly interested in face to face real class program rather online. I will go and enquire in universities. I posted it coz i thought here in IL there must be someone who has done these courses and they can guide better. Personal experience always help you know.
    Thanks again dear

5. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Dear @gankita,

Like Soka says, one needs more information from you to give you the correct info. What do Mph and Mha mean? I had to google to find out what they mean. Writing the full form of these degrees will go a long way in securing answers.

Now a casual google search tells me that one needs the following:

1. A 4 year degree
    2. Healthcare experience
    3. Requirement of a prior business degree or the requirement to do a business degree parallely.

As I see it, these courses require a lot of effort from you. You have to ask yourself if you can do justice to your studies with a little kid.

AFAIK these courses do not have much value in the Indian scenario as hospital administrators tend to be people who are close to the hospital management in the corporate hospital sector. The other smaller hospitals do not tend to employ management staff.

If you are only looking to study in order to make better use of your time, you might want to consider any other course like Computer science or Business management which will help you find jobs in both countries.

Or you can consider volunteering on a part-time basis in libraries, community centres if only to get rid of boredom.

Think about what you really want to do. If you are still keen on the courses you mentioned, you should do what Soka suggested.

6. barbiek

barbiek New IL'ite

Hi I'm from pharmacy background.why do u want to do m.pharm here .if u really want to go back to India then u can think of that.if u want to stay back in USA then I can suggest u some ways.do u want to study just to get rid of boredom or u want to work here in USA after that.i can suggest u more if ur clear

7. gankita

gankita Silver IL'ite

.do u want to study just to get rid of boredom or u want to work here in USA after that.i can suggest u more if ur clear[/QUOTE]

@barbiek
    Thanks for your reply.
    I need to work in U.S so please suggest options.

8. barbiek

barbiek New IL'ite

are u on H4presently so will u get ur EAD any time soon?if ur from pharmacy there are only 2options. 1)write ur pharmacy assistant certification,volunteer some organisation and if ur eligible then go for job .but that is easiest but u will not earn more than 11dollars per hr2)go for pharm.d or masters. if pharm.d ,ur pharmacy bachelors is accepted only in 2colleges one in California and other in Florida but competition is 1:20.or join in some other universities which offer pharm.d .it takes 4 years with internship.it takes lot of time and money investment.but i think u will surely land some or other job in pharma comp or pharmacies. if masters either u choose core subjects or hospital administration as u told but its not really easy to get into pharma comp or job unless u have references and have a good academics and internships which are very hard.most of the people who do masters in the field do it either to get eligibility for H1as they have masters or OPT as F1 people have these options.doing mha is sure waste of money inmy opinion instead opt for some other masters like mba business core or administration core like HR as whoever do masters ultimately land up in some sort of IT job.I personally wouldn't go for masters but learn some technoogy and try to get into job as time is money and easy way to achieve the same goal through H1sponsors.and if wish to continue masters would do when i"m on job.but its ultimately ur own choice but that wouldnt fetch u good unless ur good scorer n have good contacts.and the rest is ur choice.i told u because i saw many people that way my friends too who landed up in IT after they did MS but u find difficult to find sponsors for H1if u have masters in core subjects like pharmaceutical sciences

9. barbiek

barbiek New IL'ite

i hope u take good decision n all the best for ur future endeavors