Regarding job

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by silpi, May 1, 2015.

1. silpi

silpi New IL'ite

hi recently I shifted to Seattle,WA ,US.i have working visa, I worked in India in software for 5 years and I have a 3 years break. So I'm confused how to search a job or what exactly to do.any job is fine for me as I have two sons one is 3 years and other is 6 years, preferably I like to be doing part time. Any suggestions of any sites or consultancies to proceed.please help.
    Thanks in advance.

2. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

Start applying in careerbuilder.com, simplyhired.com etc. It is Ok to have a break. You can say you took a break to raise your kid. You can show your 5 yrs of exp. If possible get certifications done relevant to your experience. It helps too.

3. silpi

silpi New IL'ite

Thank you actually I am not fully interested to go back to software as it will be hectic. Can you suggest other fields of jobs any.

4. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

@silpi, welcome to Indusladies.

Before I answer your question, what makes you think that other career fields are not as hectic as software? Do you have any experience in working in "other" fields?

5. silpi

silpi New IL'ite

Sorry for the late reply.
    Actually i am looking for part time or work from preferably, other fields which have less work pressure i mean mental strain will be less i think in some fields i hope, not full time.

6. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

@silpi,

This is not just directed at you, but I have seen several software professionals thinking that software is the only field which has lots of pressure, lots of mental strain, deadlines etc. That is a totally wrong assumption.

There are no easy jobs, period.

For eg a teacher's job is technically from 9 to 3 and therefore seems like its low pressure or having lesser hours. But the teacher has to work several hours more working on teaching materials, homework, correcting tests etc apart from dealing with the pressure of unruly students, pressure of dealing with over-bearing parents and various other conflicts.

People work part-time to take care of several other commitments not because its easy or there is no mental strain in it.

If you get past this assumption of easy jobs, you can consider working in preschools, banks (as teller), bakeries, community centers or administrative jobs anywhere.

2 people like this.
  7. silpi

silpi New IL'ite

Thank you for the suggestion

8. sarah123

sarah123 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Silpi,

welcome to the confusing world.... I too worked for few years in India and moved to usa after marriage landing in a confusing state. I don't have work permit. As per my knowledge and from my experience , I can say, as u wanted part time jobs...

1) u can try for education tutoring centers like kumon,etc. - they have limited number of hours to work per week- I m not sure of their pay.
    2) u can register in websites like wyzant,care.com,varsity tutors websites for offering tutoring.

I do feel that IT is more stressful... Any work which we dont like to do but, had to do for n number of reasons is stressful. I do know that I m not interested in IT.

I feel tutoring is one of the best things, if we don't concern about actually earning more.

thanks.

2 people like this.