Question about latest course

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by soumya2552, Apr 29, 2015.

1. soumya2552

soumya2552 Bronze IL'ite

Hi all,
    I have been a house wife since 8 years. Due to staying abroad al the time I could not work. Now that we have relocated I am planning to start working. I dont have any kind of work experience. I am 31 years now and dont know where to start. By qualification I am a graduate in Science.
    I see everyone is well equipped with technology and so much of competition everywhere. I have lost confidence in myself. Is there any course I can do which will help me get atleast 30k as a starting salary? I am bangalore...willing to take up a good course asap.
    Anyone who has been in a similar situation, please help. I was only thinking in lines of HR course...but my hubby is totally unsupportiv eof whatever I do. He keeps saying I am fit for nothing.

2. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Don't consider your husband's words.

At this stage, its never a good idea to think about salary. Most freshers start at nominal salaries. If you want to start working ASAP, you can consider call centres and BPOs as you are in Bangalore. The pay is good there.

If you want to get in to HR, you should do MBA(Hr). Is your husband willing to finance your course or do you have any other means to finance? If yes, go ahead and apply. There are plenty of colleges offering MBA.

1 person likes this.
  3. soumya2552

soumya2552 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for the reply. The only reason I asked about salary is because he doesnt want me to work until i earn 30 k to stat with..otherwise i find teaching job best for me. But he is not convinced abt it and keeps on discouraging me. Regarding my course i have saved some money so will use that.
    Will surely chk out MBA courses.

4. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Aah, these stipulations!! I have a big grievance with this, how many people start earning this stipulated salary when starting a job? A fresher is a fresher whether at 20 or 30 years. I have seen many men do this, forgetting what they started with :(

International schools (those that have this name, not necessarily international) and schools like DPS pay well. I know of someone who earns 15k as starting salary. Perhaps doing B:Ed will add value to your resume. Your better communication skills by virtue of having lived abroad might also help.

Good luck and keep us posted of your decision :)

5. soumya2552

soumya2552 Bronze IL'ite

Thank you for undersanding. I am going to take up a course within3 months anyways. A small confusion between B.Ed or distance MBA thru Manipal. Once I have a clear picture will go ahead. Considering the fact that I have 2 small kids and my inlaws to take care of at home....I want to take up a low stress job. Hoping hubby will support me in my decision. Fingers crossed.

6. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

This is exactly right!

A friend of mine once told me that during her early career as a scientist, she made less than a couple of hundred dollars per year, after accounting for daycare for her kids and other expenses! One endures this to get experience, re-enter the workforce, to do something one likes, to have life outside the home ... these are all intangible gains.

One way to calculate how much you ought to aim for (given your husband's opinions), is to shoot for a break-even point - that is, your income should at least match the expenses of going to work. Consider taxes, daycare, commuting costs, extra costs for work clothes, laundry(!), eating out and so on. Then make sure you make at least that much, so you don't have to ask your husband for money. The payoff for the first couple of years is that you gain experience and get back into the workforce. After that, you can aim higher.

This is just a 'safe' guide - to say that you shouldn't be losing money when you go out to work. For myself, I wouldn't even rule that out, if there are other gains to be had. In your case, you might meet some resistance from your husband and in laws, so you may have to play it safe.

Finally, don't forget that the first job is the hardest. Paradoxically, it is easier to get a new job when you are already employed. That's simply the way it is. So, fixing a target of 30K is arbitrary and may be counter-productive.

Good Luck!

:cheers