pls suggest some master's degree in U.S

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by gankita, Apr 27, 2015.

1. gankita

gankita Silver IL'ite

I am SAHM since couple of years. we recently moved to houston and i want to do some master's degree that will fetch me a good job.
    I saw some masters degree online, but they are very expensive.
    Pls if anyone has any suggestions on how can i utilize my time by doing some degree or some good job in community college/ organization. please do suggest
    Thanks

2. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Welcome to Indusladies!

There are tons of things you can do depending on your visa status and other commitments at home like taking care of young kids.

If your visa status permits, you can apply for teller jobs in banks, retail stores, daycares and preschools, work as secretary in a company or to an attorney/CPA/doctor.

If you are a citizen in US, you can apply to govt jobs.

You can choose to volunteer in library, Red cross, YMCA or schools/colleges.

If you choose to study, I suggest you go to school instead of online education. That way you will be more confident, build a network and get used to speaking and doing things the "american"way.

3. gankita

gankita Silver IL'ite

Thanks for your reply.
    I was wondering what is this teller job in banks.
    I also thought about volunteering but that would be free.

I saw online MPH and MPA and others masters degree but i someone who has done masters degree and is doing job can pls share their personal experience.
    i have science background.
    Are there any tutor jobs that i can do for science/ math?
    Thanks
    pls help

4. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

@gankita, you need to frame your questions better - you have to help us help you! In their current form, your questions are too vague.
    You will get more useful advice if you clarify your visa status, educational background, work experience and so on. Do you really live in Houston?

5. preethi91

preethi91 New IL'ite

Hi gankita,
    If u have EAD to legally work here,You can do any kind of job in US like bank teller jobs,school accountant,kindergarden teacher etc.I think,you dont have EAD to work here.so u can study any master degree like MBA,culinary arts and so on.As you are on H4,you have to spend more money in community colleges.Dont think about money,u can get them back in 2 years.

6. gankita

gankita Silver IL'ite

I have EAD, I have done B. Sc in medical field and good at science subjects.
    I was thinking of masters of hospital administration but the fee was quite high.
    I don't have any savings right now,therefore was more worried about fee.

I really don't have any experience , i am taking care of my kid.
    Thanks for your sincere help

7. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

So you have a small kid, finance constraints, EAD and a B.Sc.

There are Pharmacy technician courses offered by community colleges. You could also do these online. You can get into entry level pharmacy jobs.

1 person likes this.
  8. preethi91

preethi91 New IL'ite

Have you applied for any non technical jobs like administrative jobs,doctor's receptionist?Did you check the job portals about the requirements of particular job?Before thinking about master degree,I would suggest you to apply for any type of non-techical jobs.when did you get your EAD?how long have you been in US?when are you planning to send your kid to school?