1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Who are In Laws?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by SwornToSecrecy, Apr 15, 2015.

1. SwornToSecrecy

SwornToSecrecy Silver IL'ite

Dear Friends,

As Indians, we have grown up to respect our elders. We believe that elders know what is best for us and we should always listen to them. However as we turn into adults, many still continue to believe that elders can give us the best advice and we cannot turn them away.
    Let me tell you something. Elders know what is best for you only till a certain age- Until you reach adulthood. After that you are just like them- Adults. They make mistakes just like you make mistakes.

Now that being said, once we get married, our in laws are the new elders in ur life. Some of them are first time inlaws- and first time in laws are like children. They dont know how to approach their DIL/SIL and they make mistakes. LOTS and LOTS of mistakes in some cases. But mistakes are good because if they dont make mistakes how will they learn? You too, will be DIL or SIL for first time. Mistakes are bound to happen. They also think that because they are "elders", they don't have to change anything.

When your In laws ask you for unreasonable things and tell you to do stuff that doesn't make sense, you have to understand that they are making a mistake. Look at them like they are PEOPLE. Not "elders" , not "parents" but just people like you and me who are bound to make mistakes. If you can, call them out on those mistakes. If you dont want t call them out, just ignore it and move on in your life keeping the fact that what they did was a mistake. Forgive the mistake and move on. Do this for your sake, not for their sake. If you dont want them to repeat the mistake, tell them politely not to do it again. If they do it again, tell them again.
    For example if MIL orders you around by saying "make tea for me" Understand first that she is making a mistake by ordering you around. Second, don't do anything. Don't make the tea for her. Instead politely say no. There is no need to explain why you said no. Just say no, because they need to learn how to start expecting no as an answer. After saying no, continue to do what you were doing. Dont lose focus on your everyday activities.
    Two things can happen when you say "no" to someone. One the person will not venture to asking you anything else for fear of receiving another "no" as answer and second, they might ask "why not". If the first thing happens then congrats, if the second thing happens then you will have to explain why not. You can always say "Because I dont think you should be talking to me like that. It is hurtful and demeaning."
    Even is she wants to complain to DH, she cant because she will have nothing to complain about. She was the one who made the mistake in the first place. You only said no and nothing else.

Friends, This tactic always works and is fool proof. As a DIL you are not born with responsibility to take care of ILs. That is your husbands responsibility, not yours. Try to keep as much distance as possible from ILs- whether nice or bad people it doesnt matter. Distance and boundaries are always a good thing. I have notice ILs always respect the DIL who sticks to boundaries and says no when she does not want to do something. It shows maturity, dignity and self respect. Remember, you cant respect anyone when you dont have self respect. Hold you head up high! You are no lesser that anyone else in the world just because your a DIL.

8 people like this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My Dear SwornToSecrecy, are you sure you are talking about Indian families?

You are suggesting the DIL say No when asked to "Make tea for me" by MIL and that it will be looked upon as DIL only said No, and the MIL made the mistake in the first place. Excuse me while I go roll on the floor and laugh for a bit.

Back.

I saw this very drama played out, in my own house, starring my own mother (a pretty reasonable person usually) and my brother's wife. Suffice to say, the ending was starkly different from what is predicted above.

Had it not been for my timely intervention, one of them would have poured the tea on the other.

Neither is fully at fault. The "Make tea for me" is just delivered in one way, and heard in another way.

21 people like this.
  3. gauridinesh

gauridinesh Platinum IL'ite

Dear OP,
    Good thought. But I have to disagree politely.
    If both parties involved were mature enough to accept and give feedback,most of the issues with in-laws would not exist.
    Let me give you a scenario.

MIL : "Make me tea".
    DIL : " Sorry ,but I politely want to point out to you that you are bossing me around. This is wrong"
    MIL:"What??? You DARE to back answer me in MY son's house?"
    DIL " "Sorry -wrong again. Please dont consider this your son's house alone. Its my husband's and my house too. "
    MIL: "What??? The person who came yesterday wants control of MY house. Wants to control MY Son? This is UNNACCEPTABLE"
    Will most probably go to their son, who for most of the time will not want to see his mother upset.
    MIL to Son: "SONNNN.. DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR WIFE TOLD ME? She told me that this was her house and I had no right to tell anything to her. I ONLY asked her for a tea. She told me that I was bossing her around. Cant I even get a tea made for me in this oldage? She asked me to stop talking and get out. Ohh noooo" Sob sob. beating chest, crying
    Son: pissed off at wife now.
    The whole thing goes from one second of making tea to a full blown drama that would last for atleast a week with lots of emotional trauma and mental torture for the DIL . In the end, with pressure from all sides, she will end up making the tea.

Most of the DILs here have reached a stage where they prefer peace of mind than this drama from the in-laws.
    Just my thought. But your post was good - i wish everyone had the maturity to do it.

sayurheart, kma, AprilLisa and 13 others like this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

And in some occasional cases, peeing into the tea.

For some strange reason, I now hesitate to use this emoticon: :coffee

18 people like this.
  5. gauridinesh

gauridinesh Platinum IL'ite

ROFL. Very true!

6. Cool10

Cool10 Silver IL'ite

OMG..OP has such a unrealistic view of how things work between DIL and ILs :bowdown

7. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

laugh1smiley

8. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

If dil could have choice of saying NO to Ils then y so many educated dils are being tortured?
    This is the problem the so called elderly adult take the status of god when their son gets married...they dont take no for an answer and they cant be wrong....
    may be if you say No to things soon you will have ur own way but only after lots of drama and it doesnt work....trust me....
    saying no work with mother not with mils....

2 people like this.
  9. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

That is why it is better for the adult children move out and get independent. After that they are on an equal level with their parents and later with their inlaws ... :rotfl

10. SwornToSecrecy

SwornToSecrecy Silver IL'ite

Thats excatly where your wrong. MIL : " make tea"
    DIL: "NO"

Dont say anything else

2 people like this.