Explosive Tamil New year 2015!!! Awful:(

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by Swethasri, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Swethasri

Swethasri Platinum IL'ite

Everything was very fine calling India wished everyone and then started my New year with very simple vadai and sarkarai pongal. As usual I soaked the urad dhal and after 4 hours I grind it and then added salt and curry leaves and hing and then used peanut oil for deep fry and then take a small ball of vadai batter and put it in the hot oil. Thats it!!!!!! Vadai started EXPLODED!!! did any one hear this. I have been doing this for years and seen elders doing vadai never heard of vadai will explode.and oil is everywhere in my kitchen. by god's grace not even a drop oil on me. But it was so awful when I saw the oil was exploded and the stove was on fire, literally FIRE!!!! like a yaga kundam. I switched it off and the fire didnt go away and then I put the kitchen towel on the fire and then It went off by the time the fire alarm started saying Fire!! Fire!! Fire!! with a huge loud beep then I opened all the windows ......... oooohhhhh mmmyyyy gggooooddnnnneesss!!! I was so nerves and what to say so terrified.

What a new year!!!

2. PriyaSrini

PriyaSrini Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Swetha, I really am glad that you are unhurt. OMG just imagining it is so scary :eek

I remember reading about exploding vadais somewhere, I can't recall it now, maybe the oil was too hot and there water in the batter.
    Happy New year btw.

1 person likes this.
  3. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear @Swethasri ,

Thank God, you put that towel on the stove and did not try water to put off the fire. It could have been very very dangerous to have water and hot oil combination! I never heard of Vadai exploding. Was it that the oil was over heated?

It is God's blessings that nothing untoward happened on New Year day.

Though late, Wishing you and your family A Happy New Year.

1 person likes this.
  4. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

@Swethasri,
    Although you must have been shocked and felt terrible at the time, it is good that u did not get hurt and that is a blessing. The risk of deep frying is always there, especially if yours was a coil burner like in most US homes. Even a slight overheating of the oil and spilling on to the coil, can cause this. My wishes for a happy new year - do not think about this too much.

1 person likes this.
  5. Swethasri

Thanks @Suryakala and @Joylokhi. Yes thank god that nothing happened to me. one of my relative said it might be because of the small stones in the urad dal and this happens. but to my knowledge I washed it well and then soaked it. Anyway its a lesson!

6. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Thank god that you or the children were not hurt. It must have been a terrifying experience. Glad that you and family are safe. Take care

Tamil putthandu vaazhthukkal Swetha.

1 person likes this.
  7. Lathasv

Lathasv IL Hall of Fame

@swethasri
    we don't know what will happen in next second.
    Because of God's grace you didn't hurt and everything is okay after that. Thank God. Don't put this incidence in heart. Cheer up console1
    becareful next time when you prepare indian dishes :)

1 person likes this.
  8. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

Sweta.. dear. I am glad you are unhurt and kids were away..

I have never heard/seen vadai exploding either. I have only seen the 'seedais' exploding. I can't believe that there were stones. Maybe there was excess water in the atta ?

Usually I mix the atta in my hands in clockwise direction to remove any air locks. The vadai also absorbs less oil. You can take a pinch of the atta and drop it in a bowl of water. If the atta floats , then it is ready to be fried in oil. It should not explode etc. Did you add rice flour on the atta ? Maybe that has caused the explosion !

1 person likes this.
  9. Swethasri

Yes, Jskls. But the very surprising thing is not even a drop of hot oil on me. I didnt move out of the kitchen during the whole episode. God saved me!

10. Swethasri

Absolutely true Latha. All HIS grace, I am moving on in life.