1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby pooping problem :(

Discussion in 'Infants' started by jasmine25, Apr 6, 2015.

1. jasmine25

jasmine25 Gold IL'ite

My son is 4 months BF exclusively and he passes his poop once in a week only.. Am so concerned about this and when enquired my pead she says though it is not normal to poop after a week but thats fine as long he has 4 to 6 wet diapers a day..
    this is the reply I get during every visit.. Today again i put the same query and asked to suggest a remedy and she has suggested to try giving fresh orange juice 3 tea spoons three times a day..
    My baby struggles a lot while passing stools like moving his legs fast and making weird noises which upsets me a lot.. Ladies what could be the reason for this problem and any remedy?????

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Nothing worked for my babies like prune juice diluted with water. Quite an explosive output it used to lead to, and after it we were not sure who was more relieved - the baby or parents. :)

Do check with doctor etc first though about diluted prune juice for baby at 4 months.

Yes, doctors do say everything is normal. And it is too. My toddler once didn't go for many days, and in an emergency, a "volunteer" relative, used gloved fingers to "aid" the process. Small hard circular pieces fell out, and sounded like marbles falling on the floor.

Time flies. Soon, you will be more worried about what is in their mind, and not the diaper. :)

3. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Hi OP,

If the baby is bottle fed, I would change the formula brand to a different one. When I was trying different milk brands to check which suits best, I found some brands caused constipation to baby.

As you are BFeeding your baby, may be you trying different diet will help, eat full veg, fruit and fiber(whole grains) filled diet (no non-veg,pickle etc) for 2 weeks and see if it works for the baby.

sindmani and jasmine25 like this.
  4. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

Hi Jas,

Prune Juice should work. There was also a laxative that can be inserted in the baby. The baby will poop. I have used that laxative once or twice, prescribed the Doctor. (forgot the name of the laxative). Even my Doctor said the same thing.. that it is Ok not to poop for a few days.. But I couldn't wait for more than 2 days.
    Btwn, my Mom used to apply detergent soap a little bit in the baby's poop hole. And the baby poops. I avoided it , since I was scared about infection. But the laxative that the doctor prescribed had the same ingredient as the detergent soap. (Just thot of sharing :))

5. radhaparth2000

radhaparth2000 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Jasmine25,

Try giving circular massages to the baby Tummy. This is what my paed taught me

1. Massage circular around the tummy. movement should be really gentle
    2.,Then hold the babies legs together and place on tummy for 15 seconds.
    3.Massge from teh babies chest till diaper area and place the legs together on tummy for 15 seconds

This works like magic for my daughter. You may do this everyday while giving oil massage to the baby. Also applying castor oil around belly button works.

As the baby is exclusively breast fed please ensure to include sufficient fiber in your diet and drink plenty of water. Don't worry about sounds and faces while passing stook as long the poop is yellow seedy watery.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    sindmani, jasmine25, Rihana and 2 others like this.
  6. Catgol

Catgol Platinum IL'ite

If he is exclusively breast fed please don't worry because breast fed babies may go without poOping even for a week . If he is formula fed I would be concerned

1 person likes this.
  7. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Anaar juice - pomegranate juice also works.
    Once my kid 4 months didn't go for 7 days!! I gave pomegranate juice and took him to his Paed. By the time our turn came, we had to send the next patient and change his diaper in the clinic :)

8. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Maybe if you're in a hot place - I would give him more water - that would make his job easy!!

1 person likes this.
  9. jasmine25

jasmine25 Gold IL'ite

Thanks for for your reply Rihana..My mil did try out the same method but I do not want to try it out again and again :(
    Exactly as he grows up I have to many more to worry about :yes:

10. jasmine25

jasmine25 Gold IL'ite

Thanks KF :) Am a vegetarian so following the same diet what you have mentioned..