1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Stomach infection in toddlers, how to face it

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by SaiNiharika, Mar 23, 2015.

1. SaiNiharika

SaiNiharika Bronze IL'ite

Hi

My 18th month baby boy always facing stomach infection problem. He will eat happily for 10 days in a month. After
    that he starts hesitating to take food. After a week his poo gets smell. After a weak motions and vomiting s will starts. I am using bactrim antibiotic for motions. but this will happen every month. Is there any best remedy or solution for this problem. Please suggestion me. I am very much worry about this. While motions he will cries a lot for small things. And afraid s a lot for small things.

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Niharika, Please start a daily food log, if you haven't already done so. At this point we have to identify what is triggering this problem. What did the doctor say when he got the check up?

2 people like this.
  3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

You shouldn't just be giving antibiotics like that....it kills off the good bacteria in the intestines which makes everything worse. Are you using proper safe food practices (eg refrigeration) in your house?

3 people like this.
  4. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Are you also giving Bifilac or equivalent Lacto-bacillus bacteria supplement to replace the good bacteria that you are killing off with bactrim ?
    This should be in addition to live yoghurt/curd to replace the intestinal lining and a good ecoculture in the stomach

Have you done a urine/stool culture test to know which bacterial infection it is and which antibiotic will be most effective against it?

Maybe bactrim is just killing enough but not eliminating the whole infection! So, it is recurrent - get a culture test and identify the correct antibiotic !

Once his stomach is clear, go for homeopathy if good homeopaths are available nearby

1 person likes this.
  5. ammani

ammani Gold IL'ite

ask your paed.... they give de-worming med... which should be given even six months... but only when the paed says...

my son when through this phase... and now i know to handle it well... past few months has been this incident free...

please check with the paed!

see to it he has boiled cooled water... and doesnt put stuff on floor in mouth.. keep an eye on him when he is playing!

6. SaiNiharika

he has lot of teeth itching, so he always chewing his toys. May be that is one of the reason. Doctor saying that it is common to this age group kids. daily two times i feed him some curd rice. And 3 days in a week i am giving rasam in his diet. daily i am giving him a ripe banana. and some times boiled apple. I am giving him hygienic food only. I met 2 doctors they are saying it is common. Can any one suggest me how to improve his digestion naturally.

7. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Do not use antibiotics without a diagnose and a real need for it! Proper hand hygiene (washing when coming in, before eating etc), properly stored food etc will help.

1 person likes this.
  8. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

@SaiNiharika:

Since how long is this pattern of stomach infection problem happening? Has it been regularly appearing in a cycle like you said? In case you have continued the antibiotic every time the infection happened, there is a possibility of your kid developing allergies and more stomach infections. I suggest you stop giving your boy any kind of antibiotics for any illness that has shown a pattern and explain clearly to your doctor about the condition.

Some home remedies you can try:
    - Include lots of greens in his food (for breakfast and lunch only, the greens should be washed very well and cooked thoroughly. You can use a blender if it helps. This works very well with cooked dal.)
    - Plenty of water (Boil the water very well, cool it naturally and make your boy drink water from time to time)
    - Never buy a banana without the stem. In case you do, don't feed that banana to your boy.
    - For the boiled apple, do you use sugar? Overall, if you are using sugar in any of your boy's food, cut down on it. If you are using processed baby foods, cut down on that too. Processed baby foods can make the poo smell bad.
    - Make sure you wash your hands well. Also wash your boy's hands and feet well before bed time.

Hope these will help.

9. SaiNiharika

@ Sparkle

Thank you very much for the reply. I will tell his diet chart. Please correct me where i am wrong in his diet
    Morning after wake up(7.30 Am)
    I will give him some hot water ( little amount)
    with zincovit drops.
    Next tiffin ( idly or upma or ceralc with ghee)
    at 10.30 AM-- diluted milk ( some times i will give him coconut water also)
    12.00 Am i will start his lunch. I cook his rice separately by putting grated carrot or palak leaves in rice . i cook these along with his rice. And feed that with regular curry or rasam and i feed him rice with curd in his last bites.
    At 2.30 PM some buttermilk with pinch salt.
    at 4.00 pm 1 banana
    5.30 1/2 bolied apple with out sugar
    7.00 pm dinner with normal curry and curd
    9.30 i will give him diluted milk.
    In mid nights also some times he will drink drink diluted milk.
    he used to take all liquid contents with bottle and nipple.

Please correct me any where i am wrong .
    Also suggest me any new recipes

10. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

The food intake seems fine to me. I am confused though, do you have access to antibiotics without doctors prescription? Like others said, I insist not to give him any antibiotics, he will get immune to it and when he needs it the most, it maynot work on him.