1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Russian School of Mathematics

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by butterflyice, Mar 21, 2015.

1. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Has anyone experience with Russian School of Mathematics? Do your kids or anyone that you know been there?

This is an after-school program which has quite a presence in the Boston area and has reportedly quite a reputation there.

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

No idea butterflyice. If you like, I can move this to Boston area where you may receive more responses.

3. butterflyice

Please do Rakhii. One more suggestion. Can you amend the thread title to Maths for Gifted children? Thanks much.

4. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Hi @butterflyice

I know many kids who take the program and it is a very successful one. But I am yet to complete one full cycle as my DD has taken it through middle school (she started only in 6th grade) and now wants to continue into high school too. It gives them a leverage in class room as they are ahead and becos of that based on the school district they are in they get placed in AP Math program as well.

IMO and experience it's a good after school program.

1 person likes this.
  5. butterflyice

@jskls,

Thanks for your reply. My thought is that such programs are more useful from middle school onward. What I have observed in elementary school is that kids who go to programs such as Kumon are ahead in class but also disruptive because they are bored. All elementary schools do not have differentiation programs.

Can you shed more light on the RSM program please?

- Do the teachers work on one-to-one basis?

- Is it more reinforcement oriented like Kumon (where concepts are never taught, just rote memorization) or mastery based like Singapore math?

I have heard of the excellent math curriculum that Russia (USSR) used to have. This RSM is also started by a Russian. Does RSM manage to translate that excellent curriculum into RSM?

@guesshoo, @rihana, @archana2008, @DKI , @srama - request your input please.

6. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

@butterflyice,
    They have a curriculum based on Pre-Algebra, Algebra-1, Algebra-2, geometry (from 6th gr onwards), trigonometry, pre-calc, calculus as far as I know.

My kids used to work with Singapore math curriculum until 5th grade and 1st year in RSM was tough. maybe the center we went to didn't have proper teacher. We shifted to another RSM and now my DD is fine.

It's a classroom setting with 8-12/14 kids maximum and students are given instruction in the material (2 hours Alg, 1.5 - geo and it will vary as they climb up the grade) and then they solve the problems together. They also get homework every week and they are graded on h/w and directors test as well. It's more geared towards Algebra right from the start.

It's not rote learning like Kumon. They have similar structure as AMSA's(chartered school in Marlboro, MA - one of the top school in MA) math curriculum. For some kids who are in the same level as in school it will be reinforcement of topics. For some kids like my DD who is doing Algebra-2 now in RSM whereas in School highest challenge offered for their grade is Algebra-1. but still she is not bored in class as she is able to stay on top and they kind of get more interested in exploring topics on their own.

I have heard that we can request RSM report cards and use that for placement in high school though they have to take a placement test in High school. I am still not sure if continuing RSM through high school will earn them any school credits as we are in the process of requesting course information my DD took @RSM to submit to our school.

As you said, I agree that they might get bored in school at elementary level and thats why I waited until my children are in middle school to start RSM. Also, I do not know how this affects/effects the new PARCC assessment. All the teachers who work @RSM we go to are well qualified. Hope this helps

1 person likes this.
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear butterflyice,

I am assuming that your kid is at elementary school level. Personally I feel that is a tougher time for parents as well, as we try to balance between keeping them engaged in classroom as well helping them continue to have a love for learning. Personally, I have not explored many options. As far as Kumon is considered, it is a good program and you are right I also feel that it helps a child better at middle school or higher levels and even then it is so dependent on child.

That said, my primary concern through out my kids' elementary school has been and continues to be only one thing - how to nourish that love for learning they seem to have. If that is your goal, I do think you should try out a program or two. Unfortunately I do not know much about Russian Math program you refer to.

I would also urge you to explore any other program other than Math unless you have specific reasons for that. I for one, take my kids to programs that are offered to advanced kids including some drama, fencing, art, science etc. My DS was extremely interested in Origami and we have done everything we could to nurture that including taking him to conventions at places like NY and others when he was in elementary school. Now of course he is not that into it but I can tell you that at fifth grade level, thanks to Origami he taught himself quite a few complex mathematical concepts. Now he is way too much into Chemistry and I am working with a professor to help him nourish that love. My DD who is younger has an advantage of being exposed to all this and we do the same things for her.

Ok, I was off talking about myself. All I am trying to say -

At this age (assuming it is elementary level), it is important to nourish the love for learning.

Look around for programs that suit your child.

If it is Math, be somewhat understanding of the fact that schools can only do so much - it will be up to us as parents to continue to play an important role. I am not assuming we are not doing. I am only stressing that involvement is important no matter how well our kids are doing. Trust me, it gets quite complex even as they hit middle school with the number of subjects they have to deal with increasing. I now quite focus on subject areas where my DS has to keep up for over all GPA than on the ones he is far ahead. It becomes a balancing act as I try to help his overall feeling of doing well in school.

I have to apologize for I have not been able to offer any answers to your specific questions.

1 person likes this.
  8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@butterflyice - Can you get a few worksheets from someone and see if your child is interested and willing to do it? If not, see if they have a trial period. No harm in going if and giving it a try! Some kids like such classes and some don't care for it. If it's expensive, no point paying a whole lot of money and then dropping out after a month.
    Ive never heard of Russian math classes! We have Chinese math and I personally didn't do classes. I teach math myself. It's an easy subject to teach in elementary.

1 person likes this.
  9. butterflyice

@jskls, thanks so much for the detailed review. Appreciate it.

I read that RSM is quite a leap from Singapore math (apparently 6A in Singapore itself is a leap). Its wonderful that your DD's school does Singapore at school.

My school district does Everyday Math, it hasnt been a problem so far but I hear older kids dont like it very much.

It's reassuring to know RSM teachers are well-qualified. Your post has a wealth of information. Thanks once again.

1 person likes this.
  10. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

They do offer a summer 6- week program if u want to try. Make sure you are in one of the best centers. Some centers hv teachers with a different accent that children are not comfortable with As such they do not hv any worksheets like kumon but more of a conceptual learning starting from order of operations , associative/ distributive property etc. usually child will be evaluated and placed in respective group below/above school grade level

1 person likes this.