1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What should we wish/ask from God?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Akanksha1982, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Most religion have places where it is said that if you do this here, all your wishes will be fulfilled. If you light a candle in this church or tie a dhaaga on this tree or put a chaddar (sheet) on this dargah or throw a coin in this well, etc your wishes will be fulfilled. Basically meaning that we need to inform God to give us what we want.

I think that there is no need to ask God. Why?

Firstly, God gives without asking. Don't believe it? Yes, God gives without asking. Have you ever seen anyone going to temple or to God and praying, "God give me cholestrol" or "God give me high/low BP" or "God give me diabetes" etc. Yet God gives them to people without asking. It is home delivered with direct name on it. Even if one is Athetist, it is home delivered without asking. So if God gives grief without asking, God also give happiness without asking. But we give credit to everyone (even luck) for happiness but not to God. So, we don't need to ask God for our happiness wishes, God gives without asking.

Second, we don't know what to ask. We all know about Khumbakaran, wanting to ask Indrasan and getting Nidrasan. Yes, it was planned by Vishnu. But if he plans like that for Khumbakaran (who had done great tapasaya) what makes us think that we are different. Sometimes, thinking that the grass is greener on the other side and we wish for that and if it turns out to be true, we may end up from a frying pan to fire.

Third, we don't know when and in which form the wish could come true. In Vamana avatar, King Bali had a daughter. She saw the child avatar and was amazed by the beautiful child. She wished that if she gets such a child, she will breastfeed him. God accepted her wish. When the child went from Vamana to Virata and took all the possessions of her father, she got angry and said, for such a child, she would poison him. God accepted her wish. These two wishes of the daughter got fulfilled, many births later, in Krishna avatar when she was born as Putna. So we never know when and how our wishes will be fulfilled.
    We may see Salman Khan, Hrithik Rohsan, Aamir Khan, Madhuri, Deepika, Sridevi etc and may wish of having a spouse like them, forgetting the fact that the current spouse we have may have been that superstar, that we wished for, in one of our previous life. Now whether that was a good wish or not, each one has to decide on their own. :rotfl

So, if God gives without asking, we don't know what to ask and we don't know when and in what form our wish will be fulfilled, why to ask God for anything?

Anyway, sochan mein ki harz hai (what's harm in thinking). If God were to appear and ask for a wish, what do you think we should ask for? I have my ideas and will share later in the thread but am interested in other's perspective.

20 people like this.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

:rotfl Akanksha. You are hilarious! Love the way you put such a serious point of view so lightly and humorously.

On a more serious note, ABSOLUTELY AND COMPELTELY agree with you. So many times in life, I have wished for something, got frustrated and given up on it when I did not get it, only to get it soon after and then wondered if this was what I wished for. That has taught me to stop even asking for anything specific. Just ask for strength to bear whatever difficulties God chooses to send your way and to give the humility and grace not to be carried away by success and glory.

BTW, am just wondering which superstar BH must have been last life. Must make him take one of those online tests to find out.

5 people like this.
  3. Lathasv

Lathasv IL Hall of Fame

@akanksha1982 ..:)
    nice narrating..true..God gives us what we deserve...if God appear and ask for a wish I just ask happiness...

1 person likes this.
  4. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

@Akanksha1982 Sister,

Well written, :iagree with you, God/Guru knows what is required by each one of us and automatically grants it. We are just asked to realize that is someone superior to us and he takes care of us.

Even if we desire something according to our wish or convenience it is always not granted, whatever is best for us is known to them, rather what is in our cards according to the depth of our bonding with the god/guru is always showered, this is said to understand why should we reach out with prayers at all.

Just to quote an instance when I did my last assignment in my career, there were three openings all of them were of the finance positions but the industry was an University the second one was a Institution which housed 27 schools of all boards and types, 7 colleges under their umbrella with a 30K strength of students, the third option was an Manufacturing Industry.

We were for the Manufacturing Industry, as there was no place change, Package was good and already experienced portfolio. The University option also did not have a place change, though we for the above two, decision made by my GURU was the Institution with a place change, the least package, his selection was such I was able to complete the assignment to move out to be an Entrepreneur and also fulfill my passion and contribute to the Global Education Transformation.

Nothing moves without thy will, so let us remember Almighty every moment and the rest will be taken care,

My thoughts to our Guru, when he appears to grant us a boon is to be with all of us always, guiding us at all circumstances,

This is already fulfilled some years back when we stayed at an religious place as a dream to my Dh when he was asked ("Enna venum unakku") What is that you want?

As if in reality Dh woke everyone sleeping around him (literally) telling us that Guru has arrived here granting us his blessings!!! Thanks to Guru Sayee for ever being with us

:thankyou2: Sister for the thoughts and thread, we stay at his feet and he will take care of us.

Aum SAIRAM

4 people like this.
  5. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

@Akanksha1982
    Nice post! I have always wondered in my life, many times I have come across some faces whom I have never seen in my life but that face looks quiet familiar to me. May be as you said did I see that face in my past life. Such things do happen to me. Its not true only with our spouses even with friends and relatives. when we are in trouble people come to help us without even knowing them. I always wonder Oh God where did he come from all of a sudden like a angel.

Ya as you rightly said may be he had been following me from past life? I wonderideasmiley

All me wishes are that I always remain healthy and try helping others in whatever way possible.:)

4 people like this.
  6. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear @Akanksha1982 ,

Lovely logic for not asking anything from God. Of course God is described as "Venduthal Vendamai Ilan"(One who needs and does not need anything!) by Thiruvalluvar.

After reading your interesting post to the last line, I am tempted to ask God, when He appears in person to me, " God, give me that status in which I don't want to ask anything from anyone, mortal or immortal including You".:)

7 people like this.
  7. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

@Akanksha1982 - Nice one Akanksha :thumbsup ...I especially liked this statement - "God gives without asking" - Tell me about it, what we least expect happens and what we expect to happen never does shakehead . After I go about my morning prayers, rattle and vent it with him, get tired and say God everyday I probably say and ask almost the same things. Let it be...you know what I need just give me that. I am done here now ;-)

4 people like this.
  8. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

'Nama vendi kondalum
    Venda vittalum saami ketkum aiyya"
    (whether we pray or not.. God always listens to us).
    All religious scriptures say God is within us. Our actions determine whether we will get disease or blessings. God doesn't.... But without trust there is no hope. It is all in the mind.

Most of us only use 1 percent of the power of brain. One who uses 25 percent can hypnotize and read others mind.. 50 percent usage of brain is an intellectual like swami vivekananda..75 percent are sithars..(siddha) and 100 percent is God.. (There are scientific theories proving it. I came across one of these journals in IiT)
    You can't see him.. Only feel him.. That is why we are always advocated to do meditation, so that our brain can become more powerful and we have the ability to perceive and see God..

"Theivam endraal Adhu theivam
    verum Silai endraal Adhu Silai thaan
    undendraal Adhu undu
    Illai endraal Adhu illai"

(if you think a God idol is God...it is God
    if you think it is just a sculpture..it is just a sculpture made of stone..
    if you think it (God) exists...it exists
    if you think it doesn't exist...it doesn't exists)

We are all mortals and death can knock our doors anytime.
    So be good..do good.. I wish God to liberate me from the cycle of birth and death..

8 people like this.
  9. jasmine25

jasmine25 Gold IL'ite

Nice post I say.. As satchi mentioned, a hilarious one on a serious topic :) I just have one wish to God.. (It may sound filmy to all but my heart and soul says so) If at all I have a rebirth let my DH be my life partner and my soulmate..if he is there with me I can achieve anything in life :) (I have an incurable mad love for him.. Don't know y???)

5 people like this.
  10. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Whenever I think of God - I'm just happy thinking about HIM or meeting HIM or talking to HIM -
    I have never explicitly asked or prayed for anything

Usually the only wish I have is that I keep HIM in my heart and mind :)

The only times I have really prayed FOR something is
    1) When tsunami struck in Chennai and later in Japan
    2) When H1N1 first made its entry
    3) 26/11
    to give strength to the people affected!

Nope - dont remember asking for anything even during my childhood/college etc!
    Even when my son was sick the whole of last year, I asked HIM and promised myself that my son will not lose courage to face his problems !

But I have definitely read slokas, stories, books, parayans, narayaneeyam, sundarakanda, bhajans - for experiencing joy, for strength to face situations, for peace, for calming my mind and to get to the next level of spiritual understanding !

And I encourage my son also to do the same!

4 people like this.