1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Are people with fair skin treated better generally ???

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by anika987, Mar 8, 2015.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I remember by India trip sometime back and I went to few shops with my friend who is very fair in color.I went to this shoe shop and was looking around.the salesman went on behind her and tried to hep her out in every way.I was not even recognized.

I went to this bangle shop in a plaza and the owner was looking disinterested.I brought bangles for 1500 rs and friend brought for 500 rs.He was beeming at her and said" u are so hi-fi. people like u only want to buy stuff in my shop" and when i came near her,THEN he said"oh! u are with her? u are all very welcome"

in usa also,i went to this comunity college along with another friend and there was this guy..he is Indian but do not know where from.I used to ask him doubts,he will be disinterested to clarify.i did not mind.My friend walked in and asks ..he beems and smiles and explains.

I thought it could be coz he was attracted to her but I saw him behaving like that to americans or fair skinned girls.

can keep giving more examples...

anyone else faced it??

4 people like this.

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Were these friends good looking in a general sense?
    Generally taller people get more attention than shorter ones.Slimmer ones get more attention than fatter ones.Younger get more attention than older ones.More beautiful people get more attention than less beautiful people.Unfair but true.But I do believe all this attention is only in the first few times...later on your work,your character and nature do come into play.

Darker people are considered more sexier than fairer people by many.
    In India...we do have an obsession with fair skin.....but even here fair skin alone is not considered attractive ...features count too.

But yes....a lot of people do prefer fairer skin.....denying it is futile.Why else would fairness creams be so popular in our country?

28 people like this.
  3. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

Most Indian men (not all) are obsessed with fair skin.
    Even many girls are obsessed with fair skin and try ways to become fairer..
    So..yeah

4 people like this.
  4. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

It is something which our society is obsessed with and I don’t see any change coming in. P.S.This is based on my experience and views- not a generalized one.
    During college days, I find guys going behind the most beautiful girls from the campus. They did have a choice of pick up from more than 250-300 students in a block. Our campus had around 6 blocks. Some wait for juniors to propose and to show off… others stick on to their class mates so that they are benefited from project works and assignments.
    Same goes with girls too……. They restrict their company to very good looking girls and ensure when they walk in group they make the most beautiful fashion group. Then finally these good looking girl and boy roam around and grab the attention of the whole campus to everyone ‘s envy. My god, these guys behave like Surya ( Jillanu oru kadhal style) and Madhavan in the campus and finally end up marrying Kanimozhi from village ( as mentioned by Nayantara in raja rani……………)
    Hehheeeeeeeeee
    Now looking their fb photos I have a good laugh thinking to myself……. From the various stunts and actions that you were performing during college days I did think you will marry someone like nazariya or trisha but sad u got only …………… (no girl is less according to me)
    But these guys’ attitudes na, make us feel they deserve a small slap for blowing their trumpet too much……….I could never handle these type of people……

sindmani, Magee, pear and 5 others like this.
  5. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

@anika987: My answer is 'Yes'. I have a wheatish complexion and I face the same too. Any place I go to within India, this behaviour can be seen (saying this since I personally did not face this outside India so far). Let it be job interviews, beauty parlours or markets or malls or schools or colleges. But I am quite OK with it because I pity the person who reacts this way because they are so damn ignorant.

4 people like this.
  6. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

@yellowmango: True that!

2 people like this.
  7. resmij

resmij Silver IL'ite

yes, if to be answered in one word, yes, this is true that people with fair skin are treated superior.

regards
    resmij

2 people like this.
  8. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I like the way you replied vani:)

1 person likes this.
  9. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Recently my mom asked me - during some general discussion - oh but while in school/college, you were not fashion savvy, neither were you very fair nor smart about movies, nor rich - so how did you hold on to your self respect - did people put you aside, give more attention to the more interesting girls? how did you come out with your self esteem intact ???

I simply said - I had my marks, my brain, my knowledge :) and my friendly smile ! And my sincerity ! I was a stickler for my word ! If I promised something, I would move the world to keep it! And I was always the topper !!

And I knew where each of my friend/classmate was weak at - and would ask them practice questions just before an exam! I would share my notes and knowledge liberally - if someone was absent, I would write an extra copy (I could write very fast in beautiful handwriting) - so they never had to ask anyone for notes. If someone got less marks, I would show them my corrected answer paper and give them tips for better marks

I remember when I was in 8th std, one girl fought with the teacher that I got more marks than her, even though she wrote the maths project with a golden colored pen from America! - she was literally the golden girl - rich, fair, green eyes, intelligent as well as hard working - a good student - but the teacher dismissed her complaint saying but HR wrote much more matter, much ahead of her syllabus, golden colored pen or not!!!

I took that as my lesson - whether I'm the golden girl or not, I ensured I had matter and character and multiple skills :)

The other girls used to hide stuff from each other, tell they didnt study while they would have burnt the midnight oil, would look at the boys with doubts of their intention !

I never differentiated between the boys and girls, between the subedaar's kids and the major's kids and the brigadier's kids, between the less marks kids and more marks kids, between the rich kids and the poor kids - So I always had one or two friends around with me!!

And maybe I was way too naive to pick up on any discrimination if anyone had really discriminated :)

But if even I didnt have many fans, I had immense respect from my fellow classmates - and of course even I had a few guys falling for me - but more due to my happy naivette than due to my "fair beauty" !

23 people like this.
  10. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

true resmi..

instead of defending darker skin or fairer skin,I am glad we are being open and accepting the unfair truth.

One thing though.height OR dressing OR confidence..

something extra DO make a difference..

1 person likes this.