1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My SIL is worried about her kid

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by sugugiri2010, Mar 5, 2015.

1. sugugiri2010

sugugiri2010 Gold IL'ite

Hi ILs

My self and my SIL is little close, and she had always been on my side through out supporting me during my fertility treatments. now she has got a problem and i dont know how to console her.

Her problem: she has a boy baby, he is two years old. but he has not started talking, she was in kuwait so had come india to check with doctor.she checked and came to know he has mild Autism. am worried for her, she is little down how can i console her/ pls help. does any one gone thru this. what can she do to help the toddler cure from this.

2. sugugiri2010

sugugiri2010 Gold IL'ite

108 views and no reply... pls help me yaar... need ur inputs

3. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sugu,

I am sure you will receive help. I am bouncing your thread.. so that it gets noticed.
    There are great moms out there and will be more than willing to help you with the details

@laks09, @shanvy, @Swethasri.. please help

1 person likes this.
  4. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

1 person likes this.
  5. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

4 people like this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@surugiri2010

I know it is going to be difficult for your sil.right now it is about accepting rather than worrying why my kid, or what did i do wrong. we do tend to do this.

it is difficult for us to help on something with just a vague information..that he does not talk and the doctor has labelled mild autism.

so maintain a dairy. observe his interactions from far. you can find a lot of discussion on the same here..apart from the austim queries. sometimes everything gets clubbed into the austim spectrum..

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/toddlers/258777-kid-not-speaking-age-three.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/miscellaneous-in-parenting/147125-my-son-suffers-adhd-please.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/toddlers/172865-speech-therapy-advised-2-8-a.html

3 people like this.
  7. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

Dear OP, pls excuse me here for interfering with my own doubts as this may relates to the subject which you are discussing....

My friend's dd who is 5.5 years now is very slow in writing, in LKG she was started writing with her left hand but her teacher forced her to write in her right hand and this change was not identified by her mother for long time, then she found it and that time it was too late, because kid was started using her right hand with struggle.

Then she spoke to pediatrician who then suggested her not to force again and asked her to let her continue and practice with right hand itself.

Now the issue is slow learning and writing, her teacher leaving her class note uncorrected every day due to the delay and each time my friend goes to the school and tell every subject teacher about her issue.

She was asking me whether her kid is having autism issue or is this a normal one.

Apart from slow in studies she is otherwise bright in music and slokas and all the time she won prizes in those fields, so friends (@shanvy @laks) can anyone advice her the next step she should take now? because recently one homeo doc suggested her to consult with psychologist and she is so upset now, hence kindly advice....thanks

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@bhucat no the child has no autism atleast if it is just writing milestone alone. it is the processing delay to write with the right (my son faces this too) because by nature the kiddo is a leftie but converted to a rightie.

do ask her to read up on helping the child with the writing skills.

and no she does not need any pschological counselling. only morale boosting and if possible move her out of that class. and @bhucat tell her some kids do not want to write until they are ready. forcing them only makes it more difficult. make writing fun. get a timer and ask her to use that. start with simple fun and enjoyable things. don't worry too much on the neatness or handwriting. only look at the legibility. and with a little practice the child will do better.

if the child is in the same school as yours i would say moving out from this will help the child.nothing against the school. but it does not go well with a child who is slightly different from the normal one..

http://www.anythinglefthanded.co.uk/being-lh/children/changing-left-to-right.html
    http://www.lefthandersday.com/tour/being-left-handed

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

That said you can relearn the use of left hand if a need arises..i did learn. i am also a forced right though a natural leftie.

10. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite