1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Brother getting married - I'm super worried

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by Jas8085, Mar 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jas8085

Jas8085 Gold IL'ite

I have a younger brother who was never interested in studies or anything. He claimed to be depressed etc, treated with counseling for years, he finally did his BA from a vague univ via correspondence. My parents got him a job in a family friends small accounting practice. He is 27 now, makes 13000 a month. He has no idea of what responsibility means. Freely uses parents money as his own. He used to shout at them, have major tantrum showdowns etc, but my parents say it all changed now, I find it hard to believe though. You must see the dance between 8am to 9am in the house to send him off to work. Both mum and dad running around arranging things for him! My parents are both retired SBI employees, they have a own house, comfortable savings and pensions

My brother lives with parents in Bangalore. He obviously can't afford to house/feed dependents in bangalore on his salary. He still let my parents look for a girl for him. My mum found this girl via relatives - from a small town near Mysore. She is still studying (Bcom) - finishing later this year. My brother spoke to her for 5 mins and said yes! I think the girls parents assumed the house will be my brothers.

I find this whole thing ridiculous! He is getting married and bringing dependent(s) on my parents! The girls parents visited our house, they obviously noted a car. The girl apparently said she wants to learn car driving. Excuse me? I gifted that car to my parents!!! My hard earned money!

I am am quite stressed about the whole thing. I find it impossible to accept that his wife will now be living off my parents too! Needless to say, his future kids school, etc everything will be my parents responsibility. She will now happily use whatever I give my parents!

Help me find peace please!

2. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello.. Why are you diverting that anger on your to-be-sister in law rather than your brother?

You have to blame him your brother!!

6 people like this.
  3. Jas8085

Jas8085 Gold IL'ite

It doesn't matter who I blame, the reality is that she is planning to drive the car I gifted my parents. They go around merry in that car and my parents use auto-rikshaws when they need!!

My brother moron has always been such a loser - sulking, making excuses, blaming others for his laziness. In this bride hunting thing too, many girls said no to him, obviously sensing that he cannot provide with that salary. This girl was the first to say yes, so I think my brother (and parents) will not want to upset her. As much as I know him, he will shout at my parents etc if she is upset and gives him silent treatment or something.

4. Jas8085

Jas8085 Gold IL'ite

I only hope she gives my parents some respect and space in their lives. Not use their money for enjoying life, use them as free baby sitters, not contribute to household work - because I know my brother will say nothing even if she does all this. My parents will shut up and do it - he can't afford to move out.

1 person likes this.
  5. preethiitech

It matters who you blame! :shock:

Take that car away from your parents if that bothers you a lot.
    or Take your parents away from your brother.
    or Just take yourself our of their lives; let them see their own dynamics.

Please make a phone call to your brother and voice out everything rather than fuming about the poor SIL(to be )in your heart

10 people like this.
  6. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

How about some pre-marriage counseling with proper counselor for your brother. Please insist on this.Also your parents should tell about your brother to his fiancée so she is aware of this.

2 people like this.
  7. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

Jas,

I think you are already feeling 'J'.. You don't want your parents to accept another girl and spend on her etc.. Since your brother needs more help emotionally and financially, you are frustrated that his wife will also enjoy it..
    It is ok.. Chill.. Your brother also needs a life.. What do you suggest ? He should remain single till his death ? Your parents must definitely want him to settle, since they must have sensed that he needs support, even emotionally after their time. I do not see anything wrong in what your parents are doing. Your brother definitely needs a life..what if he was treated for depression or any medical reason ..everyone deserves a life.
    It is disrespectful to tell ..how your parents should use their money or property. If you do not want to give money to your parents, don't give. But it is not cool to tell them not to spend on their son or DIL.
    Once you have gifted something to your parents, it is theirs and not yours.. And if they want their son and DIL to use it..I don't see any harm..

14 people like this.
  8. preethiitech

How offensive!! shakehead
    Why so much negativity even before the girl has got married?

7 people like this.
  9. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

For all you know she may be a good wife to your brother and DIL to your parents.. Why are you already fuming ? Even if it is your brother, I think you should distance yourself from their personal life, in future also..not a good attitude

1 person likes this.
  10. Jas8085

Jas8085 Gold IL'ite

I have absolutely no J towards my brothers to-be wife. All his money is hers. It's theirs. My brother has no medical reason. He just never wanted to work hard. He used to crib about how everyone gets good marks and never him. Everyone works hard for grades, he wanted it for free!

I have interest in protecting my parents . Give them a happy peaceful retirement free of financial worries about dependent son, DIL and even grand kids. I don't know how. There is a difference between my parents letting them use the car "occasionally" and HAVING no choice. There is a difference between my parents wanting to help with babysitting sometimes and HAVING to do it because my brother can't afford help.

Lakshmi6197, pear, Grihani and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.