How to keep Dosakaya (Indian yellow cucumber) fresh for longer

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Rakhii, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Ladies, where I live, we hardly get any dosakayas (yellow cucumber). I absolutely love this pickle. However, my DH isnt a big fan of any pickles. When I saw this dosakaya in the grocery store over the weekend, I was over the moon and bought 4 of them (blame it on my pregnancy hormones).

I am planning on making pickle with 2 cucumbers and store it in fridge. I know it will be good for 2-3 months.
    Is there anyway to keep the remaining 2 dosakayas fresh for a month or so? That way I can make more pickle in another one month.

I know for a fact I wont find them again anytime soon.

Please help me out.

1 person likes this.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Rakhii,
    When I buy the shrink-wrapped English cucumbers, they have lasted for upto 2 weeks in the fridge. I found out once when I forgot to use them in time. They freeze and become useless if they are kept in a very cold part of the fridge though.
    Wrapping the dosakaya in Saran Wrap and refrigerating may extend its life but I dont know if it will last a whole month.

1 person likes this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Btw, would you be willing to share the pickle recipe?

4. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

OP, in my experience dosakaya stays good for 2 weeks when I keep it in the crisper section. Perhaps wrapping with plastic wrap will help? Havent tried it though....

I go the pickle/chutney route with dosakaya and gongura too :)

1 person likes this.
  5. Rakhii

Thanks Malstrorm, I am going to try and wrap it and see if it stays fresh. Here is the recipe. I just made is last night. I simply couldn’t resist waiting for the weekend to make it!

Cucumber: 2 small (yield about 4 cups when chopped and deseeded)
    Mustard powder: 6 tbsp
    Red Chili powder: 6 tbsp
    Salt: 3 tbsp
    Sesame Oil: about 8 to 10 tbsp

Wash and dry the cucumber completely before chopping. Make sure to deseed (don’t peel). Mix all the powders along with the cut pieces. Slowly add oil and mix well. Store in a wide mouth container and leave it for about 24 hours before consumption. Stays good for 2-3 weeks outside and 2-3 months in fridge.

Here is the picture I took last night. I am sure by this evening the oils will separate and so will the salt, making the consistency the actual pickle consistency. By the way, when I tasted, I felt the red chili powder to be wee bit too much. You may want to reduce or increase depending on the desired spice level.
    pickle.jpg
    Thanks Butterfly. I am going to try wrapping it and see if that would help. I just don’t want these cucumbers to go anywhere! As for gongura, I am yet to see them being sold here in all the years I have been living here. That’s a tough one. I generally make do with the bottled, Mothers Pickles from the grocery store.

2 people like this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@rakhii the Avakkai style you have made will stay good for 2-3 months and more if you remove all the moisture by dry pat with a clean cloth before cutting to pieces. Heat the oil a little helps preserving.

How about preserving it with wee bit salt and vinegar or just removing the seeds and pulp and clean dry and freeze. Just loud thinking. And try scattering those seeds. Who knows you may have a plant of your own. If the wrapping does not work. Do make chutney, dosakaya pappu and have it before it loses freshness. You can enjoy this too.

1 person likes this.
  7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

And yes I remember there was discussion long ago about sorrel in your parts. I think the red one in possible

8. Rakhii

Thanks @Shanvy. I will try heating the oil a little next time I make this pickle.
    If i add vinegar, will it still be OK to make a pickle after? Also, the same thing with frozen veggies? Will it be OK to make pickle after we thaw it?

The main reason i wanted pickle was to enjoy it for longer Shanvy. If i make pappu, it will be done in a day :(

9. PRUDENT

PRUDENT New IL'ite

Dear Rakhi the oil for pickle should be heated first allowed to cool and then added to pickle

10. gitasharma

gitasharma Gold IL'ite

Hai Malstrom
    Not sure if I would be asked to stand facing the wall for an hour for answering out of turn
    Wash the cucumber /wipe it dry /cut it remove most seeds leave very little behind .
    cut into peices ~2cms.
    Add the following masala:
    1 red mirchi powder 40 gms
    mustard powder (fine used in s. india and not coarse used in N.India) 60 gms
    salt 60 gms
    a teaspoon haldi powder one tsp methi powder ( I normally roast 100gms powder and store in airtight container ,as I make pickles almost every 10-15 days.)
    mix well
    In a pan warm oil 100-125 ml add mustard seeds, Hing half tsp. cool and add to the above mix of dosakai& masala.ready to eat in an hour. bottle it stays good for a 15 days if lft out keep in frig 2-3 months.
    It stays good even longer but the crispness of veg lost .it kind a becomes soft.
    I also make chutney :
    for this I cut the dosakai really small.
    In a pan add oil add green chillies /saute takeit out and keep it aside. In the same oil add mutard seeds, Udath dhal , jeera hing, haldi .
    Soak a little tamarind.
    grind mirchi/ salt/tamarnd to fine paste.
    add chopped dosa kai + rai,jeera, udath dhal etc and spin for a second take it out .dress with finely chopped hhari dhania/kothmir.

dosa kai --1
    green chillies 5-8
    tamarind size of a gooseberry
    oil 3-4 tsps
    rai udath dhal jeera 1 tsp each I add a little extra udath dhal gives a crunchy taste.
    salt to taste a pinch of hing,& haldi/
    serve with steaming hot rice and ghee.
    U may also serve it with roti,dosa.
    I also make curry of this
    Chop dosa kai fine/ green chillies fine (onion finely chopped optional) curry pata finely chopped.
    In chounk add Rai/ Jeera/ Udath dhal /hari mirch curry pata haldi saute for 1-2 sec. add chopped dosakai/precooked channa dhal. add salt to taste . cover it and cook on slow flame .Done in a few mins . add finely chopped dhania and serve with hot steamed rice & ghee.ready to serve
    dosa kai -1
    channa dhal a fist full cook and keep aside
    onion 1-small if u please. I do not use onion but my sil likes it with onion.
    mirchi 1-2 and chounk as usual.