1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby Led Weaning - 6 month old foody who tries to "steal" from parents plates

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by RedRuby, Feb 25, 2015.

1. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

Hallo Ladies,

Im back again with another more funny problem this time. My daughter startet to show interest in food by the age of 4 months. I managed to ignore it until she turned 5 months. The soon she hit 5 month mark she managed to grab one of my nectarine peaces and startet to suck on it. I was surprised and concernd that it might cause tummy pain, digestive problems or nappy rash but nothing.. she just kept on enjoying her nectarines...i thought maybe because i used to let her smell on them as we eat them a lot and hubby fed me with them during pregancy. But short after she startet to develope interest in all other sort of foods. I can not keep her on lap while im eating anymore as she would steel food from my table and out of my hand.
    She looks at me like iam the worst mom because i refused to share my rassam, curd rice with curd chilies and chicken curry with her.. i once dipped my finger a bit in the chicken curry sauce to let her taste as i thought she would stop being interested as its hot! The opposite happend!!! She kept on grabbing my finger thinking she can suckle more chicken curry out of it notdonesmiley :drowning

Another time i was chopping onions for cooking and hubby hold her. She wanted the onions badly so i told him to let her smell on them as i was drop dead sure it would make her stop complaining. She tried to grab it out of his hands! I told him maybe you just let her lick one time? She will hate it surely!..... guess what happend... she tried to chew it and loved the taste.. got angry when we took it away from her again :spin

I tried to introduce mashed foods to her. She looks at me most of the time like im mad... i tried to hide her mashy baby food behind my plate to pretent we eat the same.. i choosed same colours of her and my food.. nothing works.. this kid is just too smart for me. She eats some fruit mashes but most of the veggies she hates mashed.

I give her since she is 5 months old a growing variety of foods cut into grabbable peaces she can hold the list includes:

• banana (with peal otherwise it slips away)
    • cucumber (she loves to suck it right when its cold it seems to refresh her)
    • boiled peeled potato (gave her yesterday as she refused her mash.... she was happy)
    • Mango (difficult as she gets angry as she can bite peaces off and its not "suckable" but she loves the taste
    • Papaya
    • Melon
    • boiled egg (just interesting if one can steal it)
    • rice with ghee
    • bread
    • broccoli (she loves it)
    • Avocado (too mashy to hold but taste is ok)
    • blueberry (difficult to pick up)
    • raspberry (difficult to pick up)
    • apple (she sucks out the juice)
    • pear
    • olive (first thing she was suspicious about)

i was trying carrot mash and she hates it. Same with rice porridge.. she thought im nuts. Tried apple sauce - its ok but pure fresh apple is better she thinks. Tried yellow moong dal water - same you´re nuts face... she wanted my dal tadka.. i didnt share (bad mom). Couldnt get ragi so didnt try. Wanted to try veggy kichadi but really insecure now...

Now my questions are:

Anyone facing a food stealing im a big girl so dont treat me like a baby infant??????
    Which finger foods can i give to her?
    How to cook so we can eat the same? And i mean in daily routine... i know i haveto spice down but im insecure how much and for how long... i cannot make hubby and me live next couple of months totally without spices and are unable to stop her wanting our food.. i feel a bit like trapped.
    Tried to eat together with her and pretent we eat same. Tried to not eat in front of her anymore (feel thats no long term solution). tried to give her parts of my food (like rice with ghee without the rest or just some roti). but then i still have to make sure she eats her veggies and fruits.

Anyone knows any recipes to introduce solids to a food lover like her?

5 people like this.

2. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

Forgot to mention i breastfeed. She still loves her milk and will drink a lot.

3. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

@RedRuby - Can we switch babies?...... ;-) Joking..

Your babies does what every parents want. She eats most of the stuff happily. I think you are lucky that your baby loves brocolli..what is the worry then?

All I would say - not many spices for her, not sugary stuff for her.
    Oranges I heard give stomach ache for being acidic.

Other than that, if she is eating, its good. It makes parents life easier especially when you travel. Mine is a hard candy.

PS:please put a black mark on your cuties face.

3 people like this.
  4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Redruby, the little cherub is keeping on toes I see. Its such a joy to see all their acts at this age! How soon they grow up.
    Actually, I did not do the baby led weaning with my LO. I introduced her to cereals first. If the child is expressing interest in eating what you are eating, then it is a sure sign that she is ready to eat more variety. Here are my suggestions, based on my routine with my LO. Mind you mine was not with BLW.

1. Continue eating along with her. You obviously did something right by sitting alongside her to eat. Generally we hear about babies not opening their mouths. In your baby’s case, it’s a blessing. Continue to sit with her as a family and eat with her.
    2. As for spices, I would strongly recommend to tone down a lot. Adding salt/chili etc are recommended before 12 months as their digestive system is not yet fully developed. In India they ask us to introduce everything, including tamarind. So, go very easy on all the spices.
    3. Start with fully cooked food. I started with sweet potato, avocado, potato, beans, corn, green peas, water melon, banana, rice, apple sauce, homemade custard, cereals, pears.
    4. After she was comfortable with the above, I started introducing puddings, pies, meat, eggs etc. It was not until 10-12 months though.

1 person likes this.
  5. Ganthimathi

Ganthimathi Gold IL'ite

So cute. You are a lucky mom and very rare to find one like you :cool2:

Take care of spices and mash the food with hands or with masher but not with mixie for your little one. There are already many threads how to introduce weaning.

One of my cute little patient was 11 months old at that time. I asked the mother how she manages to give him medicines. She said, my son likes rasam, so immediately after giving medicine I give 2 spoons of rasam and he asks for more rasam. He never vomited medicine.

1 person likes this.
  6. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

Hi @Sanjurubi, it somehow reliefes me that its something good as i already startet to worry something is going wrong.. she today refused her mash again.. i gave her then some cooked broccoli which she loves, me to always thought kids hate brocolli, i think she thinks it looks funny as she observes it always closely before she eats it the texture seems interesting at that age...then i gave her raw pure avocado as it slipped out of her hand she got very irritated (she hates if she cant eat alone and pushes my hand angrily away if i try to handfeed her!) so i cut her long peaces with peel so she can hold herself better.. half kitchen looks like i dropped a green bomb but baby is happy ... sigh...:bonk
    I dont know whats going on between her and oranges.. hubby fed me with them when i was pregnant, he is an arab and its a staple there he would eat tons of citrus fruits, she is mad for the smell and she loves to eat them, never saw any rash problems (was concernd about that) or realised her having any other problem, all i do check is that they dont contain seeds.
    I dont give her sugar you are right thats bad.

How do you try to seduce your lil fighter?

As i thought of what you said i wonderd if my hubby too had a impact on her behavior.. he used (and still is!) tease her, he would eat with happy munching sounds in front of her making yumyum how great this tastes, then take a spoon full put it in front of her head and puts it in his mouth grinning cheeky while telling her haaaaha this is not for you yet! .. i told him to not to do as its not nice but he keeps on doing sometimes and says its just fun (please dont think he means bad as he doesnt its just his sence of humor, he would literally give everything for her). I myself used to show her things to let her smell and explain it to her when she was very young.. maybe we unknowingly supported her demand to eat that way? Maybe you too can try a little bit of teasing, smelling in fun way and let your baby mash and play arround (be carefull kitchen and child including yourself will look awefull i had brocolli in my hair today).
    Thanks again for your opinion and hugs to your little cutiepie

7. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

Hallo @Rakhii,

thanks a lot for dropping in and give your valuable suggestions :)

May i ask which cereals you did introduce first? I just give her bread as she hates rice porridge, im used to give ragi to babies in different styles but i dont know where to get ragi here, do you have any clue how to substitute? Is normal millet good as well and can i prepare it the same way? We cannot let them sprout can we? I would try to make ragi porridge and ragi mudde (little dumplings) then.

She is actually not just opening her mouth and sticking her tongue out while making guestures like taking something and bringing to mouth she is in fact trying to steal things out of my hand, from my plate....yes.. from my mouth (apple for example, i bite in it and have my baby hanging on the other side looking wide eyes into mine, no respect these kids nowadays :biglaugh). But im glad you think its a right thing, i thought i need to be much more strict and that something is going wrong. I will continue eating with her as you said.

I know im not allowed to use chilli pwd, should avoid black pepper, no fresh chilli or dried red ones.. but when or what about ginger and garlic for example? I remember that fennel was quite early to be introduced and heard from relatives i can give ginger from 7 month onwards, is that too early or ok? What about cinnamon? and most important when can i start to give a bit of coriander and cumin? Relatives say i can introduce arround 8 months she should be able to eat basic spices by 10 months...at arround 1 year it can be added more...Im sorry if i ask such stupid questions, its just that different people told me different things and im confused plus im afraid she will just grab from my plate and hurt her tummy.

What about halwa? carrot halwa for example can i prepare with raisins and cardamom? without sugar of course.. but then what about the milk .. i breastfeed and im concernd and dont want to give cows milk.. but i remember that relatives gave sort of baby halwa...should i use breastmilk or is that too weird?

When im allowed to introduce curd? Like when i would skip the salt when im preparing raita

I heard that i have to be more carefull with cabbages, corn, peas and some dals as they are harder to digest, is it right that i mix some haldi and fennel in it to ease her or would that make it even more difficult to digest? and when i can allow her such things like cauliflower?

Im sorry im sort of bombing you with questions its just that all these opinions confused me and my breastfeeding consultant lady who explained me BLW is a german lady who doesnt use spices she just says dont give little nuts and no honey thats it...My mom explains all these ragi and other mashy recipes which already epically failed or not available :(

8. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

Hi @Ganthimati, nice of you to give your suggestions. She doesnt really likes mashy food she wants to feed herself, just some fruit purees are ok with her but mostly she pushes me away and gets angry when i try to feed her or hold her food for her... Really interesting that he ate rasam, its a staple for me and i cook it often do you have any clue how she did it or if i have to keep something in mind as i use many spices and its very hot usually?!? I thought its one of the last things im allowed to give to her.. maybe its upto the child

9. resmij

resmij Silver IL'ite

loved your writing,

let her eat na from your plate - share ur food- in tiny bits and pieces- which is suitable for her.

I remember, my sis had a habit of going and standing in front of all our plates for one piece of food, when she was small( but age 1-2-3,not sure, but not in months).

amma will give her food first, and then we all used to eat together.

she was happy (we were happy) to get one piece from- me , amma, appa, grandpa, and granny.

:)

regards,
    resmij

1 person likes this.
  10. Sahana1

Sahana1 New IL'ite

Hi @Redruby
    I really enjoyed your writing
    You are really a lucky mom
    Regards,
    Sahana

1 person likes this.