Suggestions to make dish with bottle guard

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by jlak, Jan 7, 2015.

1. jlak

jlak Silver IL'ite

Hello Ladies,

Any healthy suggestions to make a dish with bottle guard? other than the traditional sambar/kolambu.

Thanks!

2. EarlySunrise

EarlySunrise Junior IL'ite

I think we can make halwa with bottle gourd, you can search in google as lauki halwa. i dont know whether it is healthy, but it taste yummy.
    Apart from that we can make tomato surakkai sabji for chapathi.

One of my gujarati friend, grate the bottle gourd and add it with pakoda dough. It taste very different. I think it would be healthy than having simple onion pakoda.

I have attached a photo of my cook book written by chef jacob for tomato surakkai sabji, I have tried it many times, it taste yummy.

Let me know, if you are non-tamil, i will translate the recipe for you in english

DSC_0048.jpg

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Make parathas, koftas. Add it to mor Kuzhambu. Make a tomato based gravy with whole moong and bottle gourd. It can be made into soups adding a onion and mint or your. Choice. Make vadai by adding grated bottle gourd to the regular vadai. Even adai.

you can make a halwa with grated bottle gourd just like carrot or ash gourd.

you can make a juice with a few coriander add a little pepper. Excellent for curing water retention

4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

You can make a tasty soup with lauki. I do this in two ways:
    1) Italian style:
    Saute some onions and garlic in olive oil, then add in chopped tomatoes (I use canned, diced tomato), diced potato, sliced carrot, vegetable stock and simmer till the flavors blend. Season with salt and pepper and a little bit of thyme. Add some frozen peas if desired towards the end of cooking. Fresh chopped parsely makes a good garnish. I serve this with garlic bread, or over pasta with a bit of parmesan cheese.

2) Indian style:
    Same ingredeints but use a neutral oil such as sunflower. Season with garam masala, and add chopped cilantro leaves to garnish instead of parsley. I will make this a little drier than the above version and serve with rotis or rice.

5. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

You can make lauki-potato Subzi. Peel lauki and potato. Cut lauki and potato in small cubes. Say, around half cup each. Blend 2 medium size tomato in a blender. Now in a pot, heat a table spoon of oil. Add cumin seeds and hing. Now add cut vegetables and sauté for a minute or two. Now add haldi powder and coriander powder. Mix well. Add tomato, salt and red chilli powder. Keep mixing on a medium flame. In maybe 3-4 minutes, tomato gets cooked, I mean its raw smell is gone. At this stage, add 1 1/2 cup of water, mix, and cover the pot. Let it cook for 8-10 minutes. And Subzi is ready to eat with puri or rice.

6. twink

twink Silver IL'ite

Dry stir fry lauki:
    Oil+ Jeera+lauki cubes... stir fry on high flame. Add salt and turmeric. Keep high flame till almost done. keep stirring. Add masala (red chilli pwd and coriander pwd) Mix well and keep on slow gas for few mins. Superb stir fry is ready within few mins. tastes good with paratha

7. pihu123

pihu123 Silver IL'ite

Any papaya recipes please share..healthy version

8. jlak

jlak Silver IL'ite

Thanks EarlySunrise, It sounds yummy too.. will try sometime soon and let you know how it turned out! I am tamil, so no worries translating :)

9. jlak

jlak Silver IL'ite

Thanks all!! Never knew I can try so many varieties from bottle guard!

Thank you once again ladies :thankyou2:

10. LuvLadoo35

LuvLadoo35 Gold IL'ite

You can also make Lauki Chutney, Lauki Raita and Lauki + Chana Dal sabji.