minute mistakes.. Big difference

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Luvpavi, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Luvpavi

Luvpavi Silver IL'ite

Hi ladies,

i know my thread caption is very fishy. The story goes as below as why i chose this title.

My MIL is a very good cook. So always i'll try to replicate her dish to get appreaciation from my husband. friendssmiley
    I follow the same sequence and the steps as she does, but her dish will taste yummy mine will be above average. :hide:

So now you would have got the meaning for my caption. Though we struggle a lot and try to give a delicious dish, there might be very minute mistakes that we do that will change the entire taste of the food.

So i would like to hear your ideas, tricks and the secrets that you follow to make your dish delicious, so that i can follow that and become a master chef one day.yumsmiley

Pour in your great secrets and help thousands like me :thankyou2:

2. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

I would advice that make your own recipes and prepare dishes for him...I have seen in my case also...dh tend to like the traditional dishes made by his mother more than when I make it...and he likes the modern/contemporary/fusion dishes I make and does not like it when his mother makes them....so do not compete with his mom...find your own niche.....because lets face it....all those traditional dishes he has been having them since ths childhood and even if we make them better then their moms they will like the old taste better....but modern and fusion and international cuisines can be our forte better than their mother. Think about it !

8 people like this.
  3. Luvpavi

Luvpavi Silver IL'ite

HI Weasly,

Thanks for dropping i. That was really a very good suggestion. I'll surely work on it. friendssmiley

But there are few final touches required in any dishes that we cook which we ignore many times due to laziness. Like tadka for sambar(it will definitely add to the taste). So people please suggest few ideas, the final finishing touch adding taste to our food.(which is ur secret strength that you follow):thankyou2:

1 person likes this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Luvpavi

you know my fil who is 80 says that his mom was the best cook, my dh does that too(both have been eating only my cooking for the past 20 yearsyumsmiley) and my ds does that too. so you cannot compete with the mom. you only find your own way. and i have. my family loves my cooking too, and both my mil and fil used to be so proud of the variations i used to bring in the orthodox cooking that we followed especially on days without onions. (We are still a rare garlic using family)

what i would suggest is, keep all your ingredients ready, that gives you a real advantage while you start cooking. cook with joy and not as burden. and try variations. that said make small quanitites as trials. just because the first time your husband liked it, don't make double the quantity the next time. it will be left over and you feel dejected. so keep improving with small quantities.

if it is sambhar do the tadka at the end. add a few nicely minced coriander too. rasam tempering with ghee gives more flavor. adding a little hing in the tempering and even at the start gives more flavors. certain kootus tempering with ghee is more flavorful. vathkuzhambu cooking in gingelly oil tastes more wholesome.

coconut chutney, tempered just before serving has a different taste altogether, don't forget that curry leaves.

though a few more dishes, always serve in a fresh dish, don't take the pan, dish in which the food was cooked to the table. take it out to a storage container boxes or dishes and garnish the same. this way even if there is leftover, you can stack it in your fridge without hassles.

the look of the kitchen, after you clear away the used dishes to the sink is different.

it is not just how the food taste, the presentation and the happy positive feeling spreads across the table.

and don't bother on the mistakes, you learn from them all the time. within a few years you will be a pro..

5. Luvpavi

Luvpavi Silver IL'ite

Vow shanvy... Thats really a cool post.. There are soo many small things which i dint know.. Thank you soo much.:)

I started with few things now. Initially i would get tensed and spoil the entire taste. Now i do the preparations the previous day night itself. And also i cook with care not to burn it or add more salt doh1

Soon will start implementing all your ideas and will update you my results :2thumbsup:

3 people like this.
  6. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

As @Shanvy Mam suggested, you can plate the food in a separate bowl to get the right look. Whenever we make sambar or any curries we make sure to add the tampering after transferring to the serving bowl.
    The food in the bowl will have the oil,mustard seeds, curry leaf right in the center giving them a good presentation. It is mixed just before doing the first serving only.
    Everyone in the dinning table will get to see the wonderful presentation.
    Similarily if you are making paneer sabji add cream at the end and garnish with coriander leaves.Adding deep fried small onion to tampering will improve the look of the dish.

3 people like this.
  7. Luvpavi

Luvpavi Silver IL'ite

Thanks Vani. will try to follow them. But i can do it only in the weekends as i am full time working women. weekdays breakfast and dinner how can i improve on those???

8. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Wow Shanthi dear what a super narration. Very useful for youngsters. Your family must be proud of you. I have finished my nominations , othrwise would hav enominated.

Pavi dear follow Shanthi and you will get compliments from your family

1 person likes this.
  9. Luvpavi

Luvpavi Silver IL'ite

Yes Viji,

That was really a very crispy clear description. The way she narrated one can imagine the taste of the food and the presentation. :bowdown

1 person likes this.
  10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Do not copy anyone. Be original and try your best.
    Do not compete with anyone's mom. Mom is mom no matter what
    Be unique, special and try cooking with a smile. Your kid will say my mom is the best.

2 people like this.