IVF Queries and suggestions

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by Swatir23, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Swatir23

Swatir23 Gold IL'ite

Dear ILites,

Hi to All,:hiya

Most of us are here who are TTC ing from a long time and taking some treatments for it.
    Some of us are undergoing medical treatments from a long time and after undergoing things like HSG,Laprocopy,Hysteroscopy and multiple IUI's there is no luck for some of us us and so we have decided to move towards IVF!!!

But we all know this decision is not easy for everyone ...because of different reasons like financial matter,emotional hadling and offcourse physical pain. people gets questions like
    Is IVF a good option? Would it be suitable? Who are the best IVF Doctors? What are the IVF costs. so I am starting this new thread to discuss our queries ,suggestion and experience for ivf.

There are ladies who have already undergone this so they can share their experiences here.:bowdown
    Suba ,to start with can you paste the info which you have explained in IUI thread here , it will be really helpful for others.:idea:idea

Thanks
    Swati

Salikk likes this.

2. babyhopes

babyhopes Bronze IL'ite

3. subakutty

subakutty Platinum IL'ite

Hi swati

Thanks for starting this IVF thread

Hi friends

These are the information i collected from my doctor as well as in my experience

This is my experience. i am going to do IVF because my DH motility and morphology is very low. Before IVF lots of blood test for me and my DH (for both CBC, HIV, RBS..like that) and only for me (tuberculosis IGg and IGm, TSH, FSH, prolactin..like that). if any of the blood test come abnormal they will give medicines for that (for both).

They will do diagnostic hysteroscopy to see if there is any problem in uterus, if there is any problem like fibroid or anything else found they will convert it to procedural hysteroscopy. They also do HSG, if not done. if there is blocks they will do procedural laparoscopy instead of hysteroscopy. I had done HSG, so they done only hysteroscopy on me.

for him they checked his penis for any erectile dysfunction, they also collected the semen for semen analysis, they kept the active sperm in freezer (frozen the sperm).

from CD15 to CD25 they gave down regulation injection
    down regulation means your switching off your reproductive hormone production on your own instead they will control your hormone. you will not get AF on your own until they give medicines to get AF. after 11 days of down regulation injection you will ask to come for scan and for blood test to check whether this injection is working for you or not.

After confirming, they will give medicine (progesterone tablets) to get AF, after getting AF you have to inform the doctor, they will ask to come on second or third day of your AF, they will take scan to check whether you have any cyst formed, if no they will ask you to have injection (intramuscular) for your egg production, It can be given from minimum of 8 days to max of 12 days. in between they will ask you to come for scan to check for any cyst and also for follicular study.

after finishing injections, they will give HCG shot, within 24 to 36 hours of injection, you want to go for egg retrieval (doctor will tell when to come). before egg retrieval doctor will do transvaginal scan to see how many eggs are formed (commonly 10 to 12 eggs will be formed). after that under anesthesia, Egg will be retrieved using sonogram. that day your DH have to give his semen. after two or three days of fertilization they will transfer 3 to 5 healthy fertilized embryo into your uterus to implant. Doctor will give medicines or injections to help in implantation. after 14 days of transfer, you have to do blood test (beta HCG) for confirmation.

If you have more than 5 healthy embryo, they will keep in the freezer. suppose your fresh cycle failed, next cycle they will transfer that frozen embryos (FET). in this cycle you don't have to put injections, but only for implantation (if your doctor decided to give injection).

Overall only in injection days, it is painful.

About Hysteroscopy:

Hysteroscope is a long tube like straw, on that you can attach a camera outside

In hysteroscopy, first they will give anesthesia, and then they will slightly stretch your canal of your cervix with dialators. they will insert the hysteroscope in the uterus and then camera outside. After inserting this, they will clean the hysteroscope with normal saline as there will be some mucus or some tissues around it. After cleaning they can view your uterine wall as well as fallopian tubes. If there is any problem like fibroids or any like that, they will convert it into procedural hysteroscopy to clean the uterus.

Echogenic lesion is nothing but when performing ultrasound there will be sound waves in that lesion [increased (hyper) or decreased (hypo)]

In both diagnostic as well as procedural laparoscopy they will put stitch near the navel.

Procedural hysteroscopy is like diagnostic hysterscopy, another thing they will do is they will insert another instrument through the vagina and cervix into the uterus and they will clean the uterus part thoroughly. so there will be no stitches, some vaginal bleeding for one or two days (not for all).

4. rasnakanwar

rasnakanwar New IL'ite

it really is a nice and useful thread.

i always have a one query regarding ivf and that is-

whether v can go for ivf with some good re's in our home city/town or shall we opt for treatment from renowned and well known doctors from big centers like mumbai/hyderabad or chennai?does it really make some difference?

5. Swatir23

Swatir23 Gold IL'ite

Hi rasna,
    Surely a good clinic and good RE matters in IVF.depending on the quality of the activities suceess rate depends.....its not matter of big city i think a good clinic and doctor can be in small city also....but before deciding doctor just do the basic inquiry of clinic and its success rate then once you are done with it then decide the doctor.

i am undergoing one more iui next month( though very little hope ) and thus i will do all my search work in this time ......so give yourself some time 1 or 2 month and then proceed further that's what i think.

6. Swatir23

Swatir23 Gold IL'ite

Hi All,

I am planning to go for IVF because my DH motility and morphology is low.I have 2 quieris for IVF in my case

1)I have done hysteroscopy in dec 2010 and it shows my uterus is fine (touch wood)....so my question is do i still need a laproscopy before ivf? because for ivf checking uterus condition is imp in lap.
    2) for IVF i will need 2 weeks leave then what to tell my manager (I work in IT industry)...I don't want to disclose that i am undergoing IVF to him.

please ladies give your suggestions to me.

7. vadapallisudha

vadapallisudha Gold IL'ite

Hi Swati,
    Its is wise decision of u to go for IVF,as i remember u were planning for another iui before going for ivf.In cases with low motility and morphology IVF is the sure win procedure.
    I have mentioned abt hysteroscopy an laproscopy in previous thread i hope u must have gone through it there too,i have mentioned the same below:
    Diagnostic hysteroscopy and diagnosic laparoscopy r two different procedures to view the reproductive system.
    In Diag Laparoscopy the the doc gets a general internal pelvic area and outside view of ovaries,tubes and uterus.
    Whereas in Diag Hysteroscopy helps the doc to view the inside structure of uterus.It is very helpful in cases of unexplained fertility,frequent miscarrages, fibroids,....etc
    If any abnormalities r found during either of the both procedures,then the doc immediately performs procedural lap or hysteroscopy.
    Both these procedures help the doc know ur system to access the medication during treating infertility better.Whether they will help IVF or IUI sure shot success depends on other factors too.But yes atleast the procedural part will be clear.
    Well to give reason for ur 2weeks break during the treatment u can say that u need leave to attend some function at ur home and ur mom needs ur assistance, or just say u have some vacation plans etc... thats wht i get right now.lets wait wht other friends can come out with!!
    bye!
    sudha.

GlobetrotterG likes this.
  8. vadapallisudha

vadapallisudha Gold IL'ite

Hi rasna,
    The things one needs to see in an IVF clinics or doctors are:
    1. The hospital should be self sufficient with all required equipments,so that u dont have to go searching for getting scans,bloodtest etc as all though out IVF u will undergo series of ultrasounds and blood test.Apart from that it should have semen analysis labs, blood banks,embryo freezing facility etc.
    2.Hygienic surroundings.
    3.The doctor should have a good success rate of performing ivf,40% in a yr or two is ranked highly qualified.The hospital performance chart in the premises gives all the details.
    4.Attitude of the doc should be that he cares for ur queries and answers all u doubts patiently.
    5.It would be ideal if the hospital is near the place where u stay.It reduces lots of physical and mental strain on reaching ur hospital.
    The doc experience is of impt factor to be observed in this procedure.It need not be that good doc r all there in citites, there r chances that small places too have them.Only lots of survey and patience is required to know the clinics and build opinion on the doc.
    So dont think that highly charged hospitals or heavily rushed centers r ones with good doctors.I see u r from Bhopal,i shall try to find out good ivf clincs as my sasural is in bhopal.
    bye!
    sudha

1 person likes this.
  9. subakutty

subakutty Platinum IL'ite

Hi swati

I remember that you planned for another IUI before going to IVF.

I had diagnostic hysteroscopy in first week of August 2011 by my gynec and then diagnostic laparoscopy in last week of August 2011 in fertility clinic before proceeding with IVF. The reason they told is day by day condition of body itself is changing, then why inside our body cannot be changed. They also told for IVF UTERUS and OVARIES plays important role. So for their satisfaction, they checked whether uterus and ovaries are in good condition.

You have done hysteroscopy in Dec 2010, its already 9 months before you have done. We don't know what is going inside our body. My small suggestion is to proceed with lap as per your doctor. If you do laparoscopy before proceeding IVF, your pregnancy rate can increase.

As sudha said you can tell you want to attend some function at your home or going for a vacation or anything else that click in your mind.

10. rasnakanwar

rasnakanwar New IL'ite

hi all,
    how many days after hysteroscopy can we go for ivf?

are fet as successful as fresh ivf cycle, please guide.