1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Water purifier

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by sethumurugan, Jun 16, 2011.

1. sethumurugan

sethumurugan New IL'ite

Hi,

Am planning to fix water purifier at my home. I do not know anything about it.

Can any one help me to freeze on good one. And also what is the UV system and what is RO system. Do we need to have both in our water purifier or any one of that?

SMS

2. abinayav

abinayav New IL'ite

Generally Eureka forbes aqua guard s the best for water purifier. RO system is preferred in chennai coz it is said to sweeten the water but its not good to use a RO where the water is good (not salty). UV is good in killing bacteria in water without removing minerals from water. enhanced UV purifier is advisable. you can get more info in http://www.eurekaforbes.com/water-purifiers/aquaguard-enhance-uv.aspx

3. hasita

hasita Bronze IL'ite

Hi all,
    Is it ok to use an AquaGuard UV based water purifier for Chennai water?
    We plan to use it for cooking purposes (not drinking at first).

I did not purchase this, but got it from my sis when she bought a new one in her new home (this one is barely 2-3 years old).

I wasn't aware much of RO vs. UV earlier, but on reading more info, realized that it may not be good for drinking only UV-ed water (here in Chennai).

So, can I use this?
    Any inputs will help.
    thanks!

4. hasita

hasita Bronze IL'ite

p.s.
    We get metro water as well as bore water in our kitchen.

5. seeabitha

seeabitha Bronze IL'ite

Hi

Planning to get water Purifier .
    I stay in newly exteneded Chennai corporation so my metro water (is actually panchayat water).

so please suggest a good water purifier

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@hasita long time. how are you doing.
    you can attach the uvguard with the metro.

@seeabitha since you are going for a new one, get the ro one. this works better for our chennai. and also get the guy to give you a extra valve on both the taps (metro and bore) so that you can switch over to either..you get a pipe from both connected to a common pipe..i have this in my current home. earlier i only had hard bore water where ro was better. in the current place i get both the metro and bore. the metro tends to have some red insects/worm, so i mostly close the metro off during the rainy, contaminated season and use just bore water for the ro.

Whichever you use you need to keep the service going well or the carbons get to a sorry state..

7. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

i would suggest the environmental friendly product - the one that condenses atmospheric humidity and gives pure water after required purifications.

a few friends of mine are using and are very happy - the brand is called akash ganga. search on google and you will get more info.

8. seeabitha

seeabitha Bronze IL'ite

Thanks shanvy for the immediate reply.

Do I need RO +UV or just RO will do .
    Any suggestions for the brand ?.Also we have installed iron remover (in overhead water tank) by the builder . so that person itself is ready to install. can we try local brands.
    What precautions I should take care.

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

I am using a local brand but from a referrel and he has been doing it good. don't go to any tom, they just bring in one that they have removed from another, and make fast money.

i have no complaints . moreover with the sediments, and hardness, the membrane is sure to be down after say 2 years. i just negotiate and exchange the machine completely, this way though looks costly works fine for me. a membrane costs anywhere from 2500-3000.but i can get a new one for say 9000+. i also get a one year free maintenance contract+parts..(that would be another 1500). and the exchange for say 2000-2500.

Hmm at the end maybe i am paying some more..but i do not mind as i do not want to compromise on the water. i use the same for cooking, drinking.

@googleglass what is the cost??

10. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

S' when they bought it years before was around 14K - now not sure