1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Running Club

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by justanothergirl, Mar 19, 2011.

1. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Good morning all u wonderful women out there! I am not sure if there is a running club thread which is active in this forum. I tried to look it up and couldnt find one .
    I am passionate about running. Have been running for over a decade now. I live in sunny California . Running is probably one of the quickest ways to lose and maintain weight. (Ok OK I am biased)
    But I was wondering if there are more runners out there in IL who would like to share their tidbits..what motivates them..how they train for races. Diet that works .
    Newbies ..wanna be runners most welcome! I will share what I have learnt and we will motivate each other and I hope to enjoy my stay in this thread.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
    Spiderman1 and (deleted member) like this.

2. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

KEEP RUNNING. I AM IN INDIA I CANNOT RUN ALONGWITH YOU.

OODI OODI VUZHAIKANUM

OODI OODI VUDAMBU ELAIKANUM

RUNNING IS A VERY GOOD EXERCISE WHICH WILL MAKE YOUR LEGS
    VERY STRONG AND YOUR CALF MUSCLES WILL BE STRENGTHENED.

ALL THE BEST.:wave

1 person likes this.
  3. justanothergirl

Hi sreemanavaneeth...Thanks for the Fb and the wishes. But thats the joy of www. We can run and train virtually...
    But I agree ..running in India is hard..though not impossible. One would need to wake up early . The temp climbs very quickly so u would need to get the run done before 6 esp in south like chennai.

4. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Not a big runner, since with the limited time, I try to mix up the workout. A part of it is time on the treadmill - so that will be the walking, jogging mix.

I prefer playing a sport (could be tennis, badminton whatever) when the weather is cooperative. That's more interesting for me.

I've been thinking of running outdoors, but I know it wont happen right away, so I'm not going to aim for that now.

What surface do you run on? Track or mud/dirt?

5. justanothergirl

Hi Spidey!
    :thumbsup Playing a game is the best form of exercise I think ...I cant run on a treadmill...somehow its skews my natural balance. I get the weekday morning runs on regular black top . (Avoid pavements) . Weekends on a Highschool running track when I am training or run on trail in a reserve.

6. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

hey JAG good thread!!!

I have to get to that level of being able to run!! just couple of weeks ago I was able to target certain level of speed walking...2 miles in 29 mins...that was my last acheivement on Treadmill...however I have to pick up speed and loose couple of pounds for me to feel light and start trying to run...beleive me belly fat is the worst culprit and makes me feel heavy ...but I guess I am almost there....will join your running club sooon :) ofcourse virtually!!! (I do agree what you say about running on treadmill...its just soo scary for me too...I am scared of my balance... though sometimes I do slight running due to the speed I set on it...but real running on treadmill is still a scary one for me!! I think we neeed lot of practise to be able to do it as I see most of my coworkers run alot on treadmill when we travel for work..)

7. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

Jag nice thread..soon i will start a regular running/jogging..join you in this thread..:thumbsup

8. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

I haven't paid much attn to balance when I jog on track vs treadmill. Next time, I'll try to pay more attn, do I affect my gait on the mill?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  9. justanothergirl

Thanks Sri...
    But u are already there at less than 15 min per mile..Marathon pace..way to go!
    Too bad u are already in the club:) :crazy I dont want this to be a thread only for long time runners..infact I would love to have wanna be runners,walkers, joggers all here motivating each other. Belly fat ,pounds will just melt away..Ever seen a runner who is obese...Nah...doesnt happen..
    When I started I could barely run 0.1 mile. I would be breath less.
    Increase ur distance by about 0.1 mile each week. I know its very little. Thats why its works :thumbsup . Say every sat u increase and keep that for a whole week. In 10 weeks you will be running a mile and then there is no stopping you. I am a living proof.
    If possible do it outdoors...somehow treadmill didnt work for me. But if it works for u :thumbsupLess impact on the knee. Good luck and hope to see u around.

hope26 likes this.
  10. justanothergirl

Hey cindy welcome !
    I would love for u to start! Invest in a good shoe if u are running outdoors. It will still be way cheaper than a gym membership. I know there are great proponents of barefoot running. I would love to hear from any here in IL .
    Start slow...and remember dont forget to warm up .Stretch before and after the run.