Skin tanning and pigmentation occurs mostly due to extreme exposure to the sun, and sometimes due to lack of vitamins and other nutrients in your body.
If you are highly deficient in vitamin A, then this results in thickening of your skin, and subsequently leads to pigmentation.
There may be other factors responsible for skin pigmentation and skin tan. During pregnancy, you may experience pigmentation on some parts of your face and body. This occurs due to hormonal imbalance. Post pregnancy, your skin reverts back to normal condition.
Pigmentation may also appear if you have irregular menstrual cycle.
There are also other factors which lead to pigmentation and tanning depending on your use of cosmetics and their brands, and chemical contents. If the cosmetic you are using is beyond its expiry date, it may result in an adverse chemical reaction on your face, resulting in pigmentation.
Tips to Control Pigmentation and Tanning of Skin
- Lack of sleep is also a factor which causes pigmentation on your skin. So start from your sleep. Sleep at least 6 to 8 hours a day.
- Always wear a sun screen or sun block lotion. This protects you from the harmful rays of the sun, and prevents tanning on a large scale. If you have oily skin, then go for a water based sun screen lotion. Apply sunscreen at least half an hour before going out in the sun, so that your shin gets enough time to absorb it.
- Do not use cheap or unbranded cosmetics bought at that roadside stall. You will end up spending more on yourself, as part of your medical treatments, because of the consequences of using cheap and low grade cosmetics.
Natural Home Remedies for Removing Skin Tan and Pigmentation
- Use lemon to remove severe sun tan. Rub a slice of lemon on your face and leave it to dry out on your face. Then wash it off. Lemon consists of nutrients which remove skin tan and pigmentation.
- Make a paste mixing 3tsp of lemon juice and 1tsp of turmeric powder. Apply this on the tanned skin and leave it for 30mins. Wash it off with cold water. Repeat this for a week to 10 days.
- Crush a tomato to make a puree and mix it with 2tsp of lemon juice. Mix and apply it on the tanned skin. Leave it for 30mins. Wash it off with cold water. Repeat this for a week to 10 days.
- Make a pack of almond and oat meal. Crush the almonds, mix one table spoon of oat meal, and add two table spoon of honey or milk to it. Mix them well. Use this as a scrub, by rubbing this paste on your face with your fingers moving in circular motions. This removes dead cells and gives you a clear skin, and helps reduce pigmentation.