The summers in India are getting hotter by the year and many of us especially the kids suffer from prickly heat. Sometimes small reddish blisters are seen on the forehead and the neck regions because of sweat. Other than using the prickly heat powders and taking bath two three times a day, we can try out some home remedies too.
1. Oatmeal: Make a fine paste from half a cup of powdered oatmeal and water and apply it and let it stay for 20 minutes and then wash off. This can be done once in week. Oatmeal works wonders against prickly heat
2. Ice cubes and chilled water: Take a soft cloth or sponge and dip in cold water and keep it on the affected area for some time. Doing this daily gives some relief, like wise even ice cubes can be rubbed on the blisters. The body heat reduces by doing this.
3. Essential oils: Essential oils like lavender oil have a very soothing effect against prickly heat. 3-4 drops of these can be added to the water while taking bath. This gives a cooling effect to the body.
4. Rose water and multani mitti: Make a paste from 4 spoons of multani mitti and 2 spoons of rose water and apply to the neck and back 1/2 an hour before taking bath. This keeps the body cool. This can be done once in a week.
5. Camphor: Camphor gives an immediate relief from the itching and burning sensation caused from sunburns and prickly heat. A little of powdered camphor mixed with neem oil, when applied to the face and body gives a very fresh and cool feeling.
6. Coriander leaves and sandal powder: Dry some coriander leaves in shade and grind them and this can be mixed along with sandalwood powder and rose water and can be applied as a pack. This pack can be used weekly thrice to keep the body away from heat.
7. Aloe vera gel: Aloe vera gel can be applied directly to the skin to give it a very soothing effect. It works well against itching and rashes caused due to prickly heat
Apart from these home remedies, we can beat the summer heat by:
- Wearing little loose light colored garments especially cottons, khaadi etc
- Trying to avoid oily and too spicy foods
- Taking lots of fruits like melons, pineapple tender coconut etc
- Having green tea
- Taking lots of fluids
- Using water based moisturizers
- Using umbrellas, caps sunglasses and sunscreen lotions etc
Share your ideas on treating prickly heat too here