1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

All about Indian grocery And food

Discussion in 'Indians in Edison' started by annienj, May 13, 2007.

1. vince

vince New IL'ite

Thanks Annie ! Great piece of Info. on Indian grocery , All the products are from very famous Companies are very Premium Products .

Vince

2. vince

vince New IL'ite

Readers

I got Indian mangoes from The Indian grocery store , They were like damn expensive around $ 40 per box and each box has about 10-12 mangoes . They were Alphonso / Kesar Mangoes . :bangcomp:

Tahnks Annie for the Nyle Oil, I also saw that that was unusual to have that thing in the bottle :goodidea:, it looks good .

Vince

3. raju1234567

raju1234567 New IL'ite

Re: All about Indian ICE CREAM, grocery And food

Hi,

I am new to this site but liked it very much. Since you all are talking about Indian Grocery. Has anyone tasted MASTANI Alphanso Mango and Saffron Pistachio Ice cream? If not you all are missing something very very good.

No other ice cream comes near it when it comes to taste and also price.

Let me know if anyone has tried MASTANI Ice cream...

Thanks
    Raj1234567

4. vince

vince New IL'ite

Raju

Tried Mastani Ice cream mango on your recommendation , Ice cream is really good , it is really good flavor any more recommendations . Reena is also good tried that as well .

Did anyone try Mastani ( Nice name )

Last edited: May 27, 2007
  5. starshine

starshine New IL'ite

Hi,

I experienced a strange smell with the toor daal which I bought from an Indian grocery store recently. The moment I cook it it gives out a strange burnt smell ! I tried buying it from another indian grocery store.I faced the same problem again. I tried drying it in the sun for a couple of days and then tried to cook it. The smell was still there.

I am not sure whether Indian grocery stores have any return policy for the products they sell.
    Did anybody experience similar problem lately?

Thanks,
    Suma

6. enjoylife

enjoylife New IL'ite

hi
    talk to your grocery store owner may be they give you money back
    and try swad or bhavani brand
    its nice
    which dal you use with oil or without oil?
    try without oil one

7. starshine

starshine New IL'ite

Thanks for the suggestion. All the time I bought the ones which did not have any brand name on them. I shall try with Swad or Bhavani.

Is there anything like the pulses without any brand names on them are not safe to buy ?

8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Hello friends,

While we are at it talking about Indian groceries, let me add my tip of the month from the Indian grocer...Pickles from Khana Khazana's Sanjeev Kapoor !

Usually, I see numerous bottles of pickles by various makers...Swad, Mother's Pride, Pathak , Ruchi ...so on and so forth. I kept trying one or the other and was never totally impressed by any. On my daughter's recommendation, who had tried it at her friend's place, I picked up a mango pickle from Sanjeev K's assortment and must say, it was so yummy and fresh tasting. It really is way better than all those others...atleast, in my view. Give it a try!

L, Kamla

BTW...no, I have no shareholdings in SKapoor's creations..ha ha ha!!

9. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

My recommendations are as follows

Ice-Cream - Real Ice Cream Brand - head and shoulders above all others and has minimum additives. Chickoo flavor is to die for!

Achar - Ahmed Mango Pickles - Comes closest to home-made taste. Comes in 250gms glass bottle and 1 kg pack. I buy the 1 kg pack and keep replenishing the bottle.

Paneer - Nanak Paneer is slightly more expensive than other brands but never tastes wierd. Consistent quality product. Some others I have tried like Verka etc sometimes taste sour. Verka does have an organic paneer that is good though.

10. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello,
    I have been using Priya mango pickle... next time I will try Sanjeev K's. But the problem is we won't get it in Boston. Might have to wait until they get it here...

Regards.