Karwa Chauth recipes

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by shweta_mhatre, May 15, 2008.

1. shweta_mhatre

shweta_mhatre New IL'ite

Hi ILites,

In India no Festival is completed without good food.

After I got married I also used to keep the Vrat and the from hence I used to know about all the recipes.But as per old traditions there are many recipes which in modern times hardly people use, now in modern times many people depends on the commercially available sweets.

I am very eager to know about those old recipes which great grand ma's use to make as I ,my husband ,my kids and my family are very fond of these special recipes..

I am starting this thread and I am sharing some recipes with you...and longing to hear more recipes from you too..

1,Broken Wheat Kheer

Ingredients
    Broken wheat 1 cup
    Water 2 1/2 cup
    Jaggery 1 cup
    Cornflour 2 tsp
    Cardamoms powder 2 tsp
    Coconut milk, from one cup freshly grated coconut

2.Whole wheat and fenugreek parathas

Ingredients
    Whole-wheat flour [atta]-2 cups
    Salt to taste
    Ghee/oil- 2 tbsp
    Chopped fenugreek leaves [methi]-2 tbsp
    Roasted crushed saunf[fennel]seeds- 1tsp
    Water-as required to make the dough.

Method: Mix together the wheat flour, salt, saunf, ghee/oil together, using warm water make a smooth, soft and pliable dough. Rest it for 10 mins. Mix in the chopped methi leaves. Divide into equal portions. Roll each portion into flat parathas. Cook them on a tava. Smear ghee/oil on both sides. Remove when done. Serve hot
    Method:
    Prepare broken wheat in dry grinder. Then cook broken wheat in pressure cooker, with water, till very soft. It normally takes about 8 minutes. Add jaggery to nearly boiling cooked wheat and let simmer for a minute more, uncovered, stirring all the time to avoid burning. Remove from heat. Mix coconut milk with cornflour and add to porridge on the low flame. Allow it to almost boil but do not keep boiling for any length of time. Add cardamom powder, and serve hot or cold.

Thanks
    Shweta

3.Kheer
    Ingredients:
    1 litre milk, 1 tbsp basmati rice(washed), 1 cup sugar, 2-3 bay leaves, 1/4 tsp cumin seeds, 5 cardamoms, 4 cm cinnamon, 4 cloves, a pinch of salt, 1 tsp ghee.

For Garnishing:
    6 almonds(sliced), a handful of raisins, 8 cashewnuts(chopped), a little ghee.

Method: Heat ghee in a pressure cooker.Add bay leaves and cuminseeds.When they splutter add 2 tbsp sugar.Lower the heat and stir the sugar.When it caramelises to a dark brown colour, add milk, When the milk comes to a boil, add rice.Stir well.Pressure cook for 10-15 minutes.When cool, mix the rice and milk well with a hand beater.Add sugar and simmer for 5 minutes.Remove from heat.Powder cinnamon, cardamoms and cloves finely, and add to the milk.Stir well. Heat a little ghee and fry the raisins, cashewnuts and almonds lightly.Add to the milk and serve.

Thanks
    Shweta

Last edited: May 15, 2008
    1 person likes this.

2. nabanitapain

nabanitapain Senior IL'ite

Hi shweta,
    Thanks a lot.
    Mujhe kuch bhi malum nahi tha regarding the recipes being made on the karwa chaut .I will try your recipes and let you know the feedback..agar kuch aur bhi app jante ho to zarur post karo,humlogoko acha hi lagega

3. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shweta,

Your recipes are too good.

all the best!

4. sudarshana

sudarshana New IL'ite

Hi Friends,

The recipes are yummy. I made one of it .it was very much tasty .I would suggest other to go ahead make .

Hey....need more recipes friends.

5. MrignayniBansal

MrignayniBansal Senior IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

Last year my mother-in-law teaches me Badam Puri.She told me to cook this dish especially for KarwaChauth.
    I would like to share with all of you.

Ingredients:
    Maida 2 cups
    Salt 1/2 tsp
    Ghee 4 tbsps
    Kesariya rang
    Grated dry coconut(Khopra)
    Chopped nuts
    Oil

For syrup (chashni):

Sugar 1 cup
    Water 1 cup
    Ilaychi powder 1 tsp

Method:

Mix flour, Kesariya rang and salt. Add water and make a soft dough . Keep it for 20 minutes.
    Now prepare chashni. Add 1 cup of water to 1 cup of sugar. Bring it to boil. Keep boiling till you get a thread like consistency. Add ilaychi powder and keep aside.

Make small lemon size balls out of the dough. Dust the working surface with little flour. Take a ball and roll into round shape. Smear ghee on the surface. Now fold it into half and again half. It should look like a triangle. Then press lightly with the rolling pin. Follow the same procedure for the remaining balls.
    Heat oil in a frying pan, dip prepared trianglular puris one by one. Deep fry in a medium flame till golden brown.
    As soon as you take out from the oil, dip it in the sugar syrup. Let the syrup cover all side. Remove with the help of tongs and keep aside on the plate. Decorate with grated dry coconut (Khopra) .

Hope all of you liked it and try it on coming KarwaChauth

6. snigdha.jadhav

snigdha.jadhav New IL'ite

Hi all,

As Karwachauth is coming.
    Whats your plan for dinner.What are you all going to cook.Suggest me also.Last year I cooked puri,halwa,Chhole,Kheer(my husband's delicious food).
    This time I am planning to cook Dum aaloo.Would you mind telling me the recipe of Dum Aaloo.WHat other things I can cook with Dum aaloo.Give me creative ideas as soon as possible befor 17 :).

7. amrita.sinha

amrita.sinha Senior IL'ite

Hi Snigdha!

Its a great idea to cook Dum Aaloo on Karwachauth.
    I am giving you the recipe of Dum Aaloo.

Ingredients:

* Small 3 red potatoes : 3
    * 2 tbsp of oil
    * 1 Onion
    * 1 Tomato
    * 3 or 4 Curry leaves
    * 1 tbsp of Ginger & Garlic paste
    * 1 cup of Yogurt
    * 1/4 cup Milk
    * 2 tsp Red Chili Powder
    * 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
    * Salt

* 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
    * 6 Black Pepper
    * 3 Cardamom
    * Cloves : 3
    * 1 tbsp of Coriander seeds
    * 1/4 tsp of Cumin

Method:

First of all Peel the potatoes and cut in to two halves and prick them.Heat 2 tsp of oil in a large pan and just shallow fry the potatoes till it becomes light golden brown color and keep them aside.Now grind all the masala
    ingredients into a coarse powder and keep them aside.Heat the remaining oil in a pressure cooker add bay leaves, onions & curry leaves and fry them till it becomes translucent .After that add ginger and garlic paste mix it well and fry them till the raw smell goes off Now add the ground masala and fry them for a little bit , let say like 4 minutes.And add red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt mix it all together and fry the for 3 minutes.Now pour the milk followed by adding yogurt. Keep stirring continuously.Add the tomatoes and pricked potatoes in to this gravy and close the lid of the pressure cooker.Pressure cook for one whistle in medium heat. Decorate it with coriander leaves.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  8. nini82

nini82 Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

WOw so many discussions are going on for Karwachauth recipe.
    Would you suggest me what should I cook in Sweet and desert.My husban is very fond of sweet dishes.:)
    I will cook Badaam puri and Dum aaloo.
    Now give me idea of something meetha.I want to prepare today or tomorrow morning so that I can do my vrat without tension.

9. Shreec

Shreec Bronze IL'ite

Hi all,

Nice to see so many recipes. Two years back we had a neighbour and she had prepared Urad dal kachori. Can someone tell me how to prepare this.

Thanks
    Shree.

10. sonasanju

sonasanju Silver IL'ite

Hey ladies!!

For UPites, I guess the recipes for Karwa chauth are:

1. kadhi chawal
    2. poori
    3. kheer/halwa
    4. Sabji preferably Aloo

Cld any one tel how do i go about making an authentic UP kadhi?

Cheers
    Sona

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008