1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Whats for dinner today?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Selvi, Mar 1, 2007.

1. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hi Vandhana,

Thanq so much for ur reply.So can we use redh chilli sauce or chilli powder in place of Sambaleiki?Will it give the same flavour?

Vaishu

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Vandhana for helping out ! Yes, I could not get to this thread for some time !
    Vaishu, surely, you can use chilli sauce or chilli powder instead of Sambal oelek.
    Edamami is really good because of its high protien content and the lovely green colour. The colour keeps even after cooking unlike peas or beans which become somewhat brownish on cooking. Besides, it can be bought as frozen packets and easy to grab whenever needed from the freezer.

Today's lunch was phulkas, rice, green pepper -besan subji, spinach dhal, rasam, thayir etc.
    Supper will be pizza!

L, Kamla

3. vaishnavilakshmi

Hi Kamala,

Thanks for ur suggestion.Can u post the recipe for purnam boorelu..And also recipe for phulkas??How do u make them?.I usually do roti/nan/chapathi/parathas.No standard procedures that i follow for them.Browse and change recipes to get the soft ones.

vaishu

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vaishu,

I wonder what you understand from phulkas ? They are rotis, made dry. Make atta just like you do for rotis or parathas. Now spread it into thin rotis, fry lightly just turning once on a dry tawa , pick it with tongs and place it on an open fire ( gas cookers are best) for a few seconds till it bloats up. Place covered with a kitchen towel and smear very sparingly either with butter or olive oil. Spray can of olive oil is best. If you do not have a gas cooker, place the rolled roti on a dry tawa and turn it once, thus roasting the roti lightly. Turn once again and place light pressure on the phulkas with a cloth or kitchen towel folded into a ball. Hope you could understand my explantation !:confused:

As for the boorelu, I am a careless cook, do not strictly note down the methods. Hence I am giving a link for reference. It looks good and should work. Hope that helps ?:)

Boorelu Indian Food & Andhra Recipes from Sailu’s Kitchen

L, Kamla

5. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamla,
    I too missed this thread for sometime and was wondering what happened?
    As I was travelling, no cooking for the past 10 days. Mother is not very well, so asked her to do simple cooking only. But my sil gave us good food on the days we stayed with them, small onion sambhar, rasam, cabbage fry and of course potato fry on last Sunday for lunch and mor kuzhambu, beans parupusili, rasam on Tuesday with fresh papadams (their neighbour makes it). Sis gave a medium dinner on Monday-usual sambhar, rasam and beans poriyal. All the other days, it was eating out.
    Today is Aravindh's birthday and he went off to school saying that he wants to try his canteen food today. He has asked for poori potato for dinner. Planning to make carrot kheer also.
    Has to plan the lunch menu also, hubby is home.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi varloo,

Wish aravindh many more happy returns of the day. and also my blessings for his future.

7. vaishnavilakshmi

Hi Kamala,

Thanq so much for ur recipes.I alwys give u assignments to type,just as i trouble my mom asking for most time consuming recipes...

we had Pesara vadiyalu iguru and majjiga pulusu with rice.

cheers,
    vaishu

8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

No problem Vaishu, liked being compared to your mom ! If I can help in a small way, it is all my pleasure.

I am a majjiga pulusu fan ! But ...tell me...what is this mysterious sounding 'pesara vadiyalu iguru? ??? Do let me know.

Today's lunch was beetroot veggie, mixed veggie pulusu with ground masala...Karnataka style (!), rasam, yoghurt and the usual sides.

Supper was noodle bake with green peppers, corn and cauliflower.

L, Kamla

9. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

I made puri and potato and carrot kheer for dinner yesterday. It was enjoyed well by the b'day boy.
    Thanks Shanthi, for you wishes. I shall pass it on him. God only knows he needs all the blessings and good wishes!

10. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Varloo,

I was about to respond to your post yesterday when my network connections conked !:bang Having continuous problems with my connections these days !:confused:

Although late, please wish Aravindh all the the Very Best for his Birthday and I pray that God gives him success and health and happiness in abundance and one day he will make his dear mother very proud of him !:-D

Looks like you made all his favorites yesterday. Hope he had a great time.

I have my grandkids at home today and also plan to make puris for them, although the littles ones demand jam to eat with the puris!:?

Thinking of making some kalandha sadam and raita for lunch and dosas for supper.

L, Kamla